X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

The Dark Tower

so the official announcement was made, Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. What do you think?

I can totally buy Elba as Roland but not so much McConaughey as Walter, the man in black. He is too much of a pretty boy. I mean I know the character is supposed to be handsome and charismatic, he seduces Roland's mother and help bring about the downfall of Rolands world, but I have a hard time buying him in the role. he is a good actor though, so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table

any fans of the books? what do you think?
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    I can totally buy Elba as Roland but not so much McConaughey as Walter, the man in black. He is too much of a pretty boy.
    I think you're selling McConaughey short by calling him that, the man's had some great "down and dirty" roles over the years. I wouldn't call him a pretty boy anymore than I would someone like Christian Bale..

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

Huge dark tower fan here for the last 25 years plus.
      Can't say I'm overly excited about Idras as Roland and McConaughey as the man in black.
      I'm sure they will do great I think they are both incredible actors, I would have preferred the roles reversed but then again it's not my story or characters.
      Part of the problem is they have previously eluded to Roland looking very similar to King?
      So now I've read the stories with that image in mind.
      Now I need to erase twenty years of imagery to get behind this.
      Another problem with having these big stars is where do you go from here?
      Huge pay checks,scheduling conflicts.
      I'm sure there will be sequels ,several if they follow the 8 books as they are rather large.
      They might have done better getting lesser known stars ,like Lucas when he cast Star Wars.
      I'll be in line to watch but I'm a little apprehensive at this moment.
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        so the official announcement was made, Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. What do you think?

I can totally buy Elba as Roland but not so much McConaughey as Walter, the man in black. He is too much of a pretty boy. I mean I know the character is supposed to be handsome and charismatic, he seduces Roland's mother and help bring about the downfall of Rolands world, but I have a hard time buying him in the role. he is a good actor though, so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table

any fans of the books? what do you think?
        You have watched McConaughey's performance as Rust Cohle in TRUE DETECTIVE, right? The man was absolutely freaking mesmerizing and I don't even care for McConaughey that much...
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
          You have watched McConaughey's performance as Rust Cohle in TRUE DETECTIVE, right? The man was absolutely freaking mesmerizing and I don't even care for McConaughey that much...
          no, I have never watched that show. might have to check it out now

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

I love most of King's catalog, but I've never been able to sustain any interest in his Dark Tower series. I finally made it through "The Gunslinger" a couple of years back, but after finishing it wasn't compelled to continue. I had a similar experience with his collaborations with Peter Straub (The Talisman remains unfinished in my library).

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

the Gunslinger is a very different book than the rest of the series, both in writing style and in tone. try the second book and see what you think

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

so I never got a chance to see the movie in theaters. picked up the Bluray yesterday. I have to say I really liked the movie. it's does not really follow the book very closely. takes elements from other books and incorporates them. but I think it is very hard for someone who has not read the books to really follow and understand what is going on. I did like Idris Elba as Roland, even though he is never what I pictured the character as. I did not like Mconaughey as the Man in Black though. Also thought it was a misstep to not have Jake get killed at the end as his death is an integral part of what brings him back to Roland. overall I liked the movie and will give it a second viewing this weekend

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

Yeah it was crap!!!
                  The end result was they made a movie which is supposed to be a sequel to the books and a new tv series.
                  Does that even make sense let's start at the end and work backwards while urinating on all previous cannon?
                  The new tv series is supposed to take place starting at book 4 wizards and glass and work to the end.
                  So what happens to books 1-3 ?
                  Then while it's playing out they want one or two more sequels to the movie....lol
                  It's ridiculous let's tell a sequel then make the prequel then another sequel....lol
                  Lucas proved this meathod doesn't work well.
                  It was a complete bomb at the box office so the tv series might not even get off the ground.
                  Anyway glad you enjoyed I know I didn't.
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎