X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

The Witch

I saw The Witch last night. It's more unsettling than scary. It's not really a conventional horror movie that tries to make you jump every 10 minutes or keep you guessing about the monster, but it's a really well made movie that documents what I'd call an American version of an unsanitized Grimm's Fairy Tale. Not suggesting anyone should rush out to see it, but if anyone does, I'd like to read your thoughts.
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

I saw it this past Saturday, and I was very disappointed. It's not without it's merits, the acting is good and it looks great visually, but it's one of the most dreadfully dull movies I've ever sat through. I agree with you that it's unsettling, but those moments are so few and far between as to be almost unbearable, with the long gaps being filled with them prattling on endlessly in quasi-Old English. A couple actually got up and left halfway through the film; I'm assuming out of boredom. That's only the second time I've witnessed that happen in a theater.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

That's a shame, when I seen the goat walking on 2 legs in the preview I thought THIS HAS TO BE GOOD.

Comment

• daz71
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2014

not heard of this one.anyone seen one about a forest saw it advertised once last week then nothing.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by daz71
          not heard of this one.anyone seen one about a forest saw it advertised once last week then nothing.
          I'm bummed this one turned out boring. I read that on IMDB (I think). Is the forest one this...

I could use a good Lovecraft horror film. I rewatched "In The Mouth of Madness". Would love to see what they could do with that film and special effects, now.

Comment

• k2
            Career Member
            • Sep 12, 2007

spoilers.....

i just got back from seeing it, right when it was getting good it ended :(
            well acted, well filmed. everything was great, then i felt totally let down

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

Spoilers.....

See, I didn't find it boring at all. I thought the fear and uncertainty all of the characters were living under was palpable. I think it did a nice job of detailing the fears of living all but alone on a frontier.

When the boy and the sister lost their only gun and horse in the woods and with their crops rotting, they family was in dire straights. The overwhelming fear they lived under because of their religion. Their faith wasn't a comfort but a nightmare. It almost worked like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Then all the supernatural elements piled on top. The really creepy twins. The main character scaring and choking the female twin right after comforting the older boy. The crazy goat and hare.

The actress who played the main character, Thomassin, reminded me of a teen Grace Kelly.

It worked for me, even though it wasn't a jump-out-of-your-seat scare fest.

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                I'm bummed this one turned out boring. I read that on IMDB (I think). Is the forest one this...

I could use a good Lovecraft horror film. I rewatched "In The Mouth of Madness". Would love to see what they could do with that film and special effects, now.
                yes that's the one.

Comment

• comicmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                  That's a shame, when I seen the goat walking on 2 legs in the preview I thought THIS HAS TO BE GOOD.
                  I thought the same thing

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎