Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It's minimalist but i have the weirdest affection for the Remco Sgt Rock toy line and I never even saw them in stores until i was a teenager.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Oh and these, they've never been topped in my book.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My favorite Mego packaging is the Superman: The Movie 12" series:

Classic DC art meets Peter Max.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
          Museum Super Collector
          • Sep 5, 2014

Oh yes, those Remco glow-in-the-dark monsters! That packaging was incredibly atmospheric and evocative.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by El Hombre Nuclear
            MOTU (another example you cited), is a similar case. The toys debuted nearly 2 full years BEFORE the cartoon aired, and were carried more by the comics included with the toys, which had a very different atmosphere to the later cartoon series.
            Superman and He-Man teamed up in 1982. Illustrated by Curt Swan.

"Superman and the Masters of the Universe: "From Eternia -- With Death!"": Superman is drawn into another dimension to help He-Man and Battle Cat fight off Skeletor and Beastman, who are attempting to take over Castle Grayskull. DC Comics Presents #47 is an issue of the series DC Comics Presents (Volume 1) with a cover date of July, 1982. It was published on April 8, 1982. Superman is drawn into another dimension to help He-Man and Battle Cat fight off Skeletor and Beastman, who are attempting t
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Norem GI Joe.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                Oh and these, they've never been topped in my book.

I like the art for the 9" Remco Monsters more, but the cards have a cool minimalist vibe. I'm always a little biased towards painted art versus line or photo styles, which feel like the "easy" way out to me.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 25, '16, 9:55 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I like the mini monsters cards. They really pop. I do kind of miss the pre-style guide Universal Monsters toy art.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• smonte00
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 19, 2005

What a great post! It's funny, I remember all of the different elements on those Joe cards, but kind of took them for granted as a kid. Never realized all the thought and hard work that probably went into them. I just plain enjoyed them. I used to love the file cards! The flag points were awesome too. I still have my mail-away cobra commander.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Another favorite of mine were the Tomland cards. A little crude but still so much fun. This pic is from Brian's site, Plaid Stallions. Just browse his site and you're bound to run across a lot of incredible toy artwork. Hope you don't mind me posting this pic Brian.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by smonte00
                        . I still have my mail-away cobra commander.
                        So do I!

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                        Another favorite of mine were the Tomland cards.
                        Those are really cool. Just brilliantly 70s.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎