Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New Music Artists you currently do enjoy" thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    Full disclosure - one of the first artists I followed deeply was Phil Collins. I was in grade 7 when No Jackets Required came out and I LOVED that album. I didn't understand punk or even most classic hard rock until high school where I was set on the right path by kids who were much cooler than I was. After a while some of them even spoke to me - sometimes.
    That's interesting, when I was 7th grade I got really into another Genesis front man, Peter Gabriel's "Security" album. That also didn't work so good in with the "lumberjack jacket/Triumph shirt with the white sleeves" crew in high school.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    That's interesting, when I was 7th grade I got really into another Genesis front man, Peter Gabriel's "Security" album. That also didn't work so good in with the "lumberjack jacket/Triumph shirt with the white sleeves" crew in high school.
    My favorite Genesis-related thing is Phil Collins' classic '70s jazz fusion band Brand X. Shows what a nerd I am...

Images
    Ariel Pink is a very talented modern artist.

Images
    Here's one more current band in the retro prog/psych vein, but who are definitely more popular and perhaps more appealing to a wider audience. Dungen:

These guys are one of the only prog/psych groups who have gotten a bit of mainstream media attention/airplay in recent times, and they've been consistently excellent. They have real "prog nerd" bona fides, too. Guitarist Reine Fiske came from one of the original early '90s Swedish prog-revivalists, Landberk, and has recently played with cool Norwegian prog/fusion group Elephant9. I still remember when me and my prog geek friends almost keeled over when they actually got to perform on Conan O'Brien a number of years back!

Even if you think you don't like progressive or psychedelic rock, you should really give these guys a chance. Just beautiful music and atmosphere.

Another from their new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLRsxgNK2A

Blog Entries
    when you mentioned elephant9 it reminded me i really like the bands on elephant6 records
    olivia tremor control
    neutral milk hotel
    apples in stereo
    beulah
    the lilys

^^ Hell yes. Although I don't recall Lilys being on Elephant 6, Slumberland and SpinArt. Recently just got the "Eccsame The Photon Band" colored vinyl reissue. Still have the original CD.

Haha - I'm a bit younger, so the very first album I bought with my own money was "So". I loved that album - and I also loved Collins - and at that time I had no idea there was a connection between them.

I don't think Gabriel works as well for proof of my lame tastes, because I think he holds up a lot better. I don't think he's "cool", but I still think "Security" is a great album. Some of the production and the world music influences sound dated, but it's still a dark and interesting pop album. I think I still have my cassette copy of the german version someplace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    Haha - I'm a bit younger, so the very first album I bought with my own money was "So". I loved that album - and I also loved Collins - and at that time I had no idea there was a connection between them.

I don't think Gabriel works as well for proof of my lame tastes, because I think he holds up a lot better. I don't think he's "cool", but I still think "Security" is a great album. Some of the production and the world music influences sound dated, but it's still a dark and interesting pop album. I think I still have my cassette copy of the german version someplace.
    Yeah Gabriel was more of a "city limits" artist and I really liked how different he was in his first two records. Oddly, "So" was the first album that ever horrified me for being too commercial, that whole "I hate it when bands I like get big" syndrome we do when we're young.

Yeah Gabriel was more of a "city limits" artist and I really liked how different he was in his first two records. Oddly, "So" was the first album that ever horrified me for being too commercial, that whole "I hate it when bands I like get big" syndrome we do when we're young.
    I know that syndrome well.