Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'70s preschool figures & playsets - What are your favorites?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Hombre Nuclear
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 5, 2014

'70s preschool figures & playsets - What are your favorites?

The recent posts about the rare Mego Flintstones playset over in the Auctions forum got me thinking about '70s preschool figure and playset lines. Does anyone else here share my nostalgia for many of these? I guess this question would be directed mostly at those of you who (like myself) were born in the early/mid '70s, as we were the appropriate age during much of this era to be playing with these before going over entirely to "older kid" toys.

It's undeniable that the mid/late '70s in particular were a true golden age for this type of toy, as there was a real explosion of new lines and more elaborate items in this previously low-key segment of the market, which then seemed to die back down again within a few years. Most major toy companies had their own line(s) in this category, or at least an individual item or two. The bigger ones were:

Fisher Price - Little People (these really went to a new level with items like the Castle, Sesame Street, etc., before quality began to decline after the early '80s)
    Hasbro - Weebles (started off small, but quickly blew up in the mid to late '70s, kind of defining the whole era)
    Playskool - Play Friends & Puzzletown
    Kenner - Tree Tots
    Mattell - Hub-Bubs

And then there were the individual playsets, such as Playskool's Gilligan's Island, Concept 2000's Bugs Bunny Playhouse and the aforementioned Mego Flintstones. Then of course you had minor knock-off lines, like Putt-Putt and Roll-Abouts (I think that's what they were called?) among others. I suppose you could also include other lines which weren't specifically preschool, but seemed to appeal mostly to the younger crowd and existed mainly during this era, such as many of the Adventure People and the early Schaper Playmobil sets.

So, what were your favorites as a child? And are there any others not listed here that you can think of?
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Well, I was born in '66, so by the time these toys came along, I was too old for some of them. My little cousins had the Tree Tots, and my dad's boss' kids had FP Little People. I've always liked the original Weebles, and now own a bunch and 3 playsets for my class.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
      Museum Super Collector
      • Sep 5, 2014

Originally posted by HardyGirl
      Well, I was born in '66, so by the time these toys came along, I was too old for some of them. My little cousins had the Tree Tots, and my dad's boss' kids had FP Little People. I've always liked the original Weebles, and now own a bunch and 3 playsets for my class.
      Perhaps you remember this one? Playskool's Tykeworld Zoo from 1971, kind of an earlier example of the type (which also makes me think of their Bug World playset from '78, which I forgot to mention in the first post):

il_570xN.870952295_j2zt.jpg

And then of course there were Mego's unfortunately named Woodies, wooden preschool toys that had nails inside. It was like a real-life version of the old "Consumer Probe" skit with "Bag '0 Glass", "Johnny Human Torch", etc.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Nope I don't recall those. I never owned any Playskool toys, and the only Fisher-Price toys I had were the Roly Poly Carousel, and the wind-up radio that played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. For some reason, my parents never went in for the "popular pre-school toys" of that time period.

Comment

• msenger76
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 3, 2009

weebles playsets for me. haunted house, mickey mouse clubhouse, magic kingdom, treehouse

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

FP' Castle and Sesame Street were the ones I coveted when little and admire today.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The Playskool Gilligan's Island floating playset based on the Filmation cartoon. I had it and LOVED it! Somehow, a very worn Mary Ann survived into my adulthood.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I had the Fisher Price Castle. It was awesome.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

I never even heard of this! Wow!

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  The Playskool Gilligan's Island floating playset based on the Filmation cartoon. I had it and LOVED it! Somehow, a very worn Mary Ann survived into my adulthood.

Chris

Comment

• Drzsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 9, 2011

my brother who was about 4 yrs younger than me had that Gilligans island set as well as Weebles treehouse,fisher price barn,circus train and garage and the three men in a tub toy.i was born in 67 and dont remember having any of those little kid toys but i want the Weebles haunted house.

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Sep 5, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Oh yeah, that was one of my favorites too! I was a Gilligan obsessive back then (reruns, cartoon, tv movies, everything) and that playset was part of my epic 1977 birthday haul. Dig it:

104ersx.jpg

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Sep 5, 2014

Originally posted by Drzsmith
                        my brother who was about 4 yrs younger than me had that Gilligans island set as well as Weebles treehouse,fisher price barn,circus train and garage and the three men in a tub toy.i was born in 67 and dont remember having any of those little kid toys but i want the Weebles haunted house.
                        Yeah, when you look at it from a toy history standpoint, there was definitely a big surge of activity in that segment of the market from around 1974-1980. It was pretty low-key before that (just the early FP Little People staples and a few other items), and then it really seems to have died down again after then (the quality dropped off quite a bit, as well). I'm not sure what the real reason was for all this, but I'd guess that the sudden expansion of FP's major line, along with the Weebles starting to really catch on, made the competition sit up and take notice. Then there was a glut of product, and along with the general '70s toy aesthetic fading away after that era, most of it basically disappeared. The upshot being that it seems to mostly be those of us born around '70-'76 that really hit the sweet spot for this stuff. Just one of those interesting quirks of the '70s toy scene.

The Weebles Ghost Van from 1979 is my personal pick for the official mascot of the '70s preschool figure/playset explosion, by the way. Probably just edges out Evel Knievel "Skull Canyon" as the most stereotypically '70s toy ever released.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 1, 2005

That Weebles Ghost Van is amazing. That's precisely the kind of toy I'd have flipped over when I was about five years old. As it is, the Haunted House is/was one of my all-time favorite toys.

Fisher Price Little People are still a big passion of mine, though I don't currently own too many in my collection they're probably the number one toy from my pre-school years that really stuck with me. The Castle and the Garage in particular go so much playtime from me even well after my pre-school days had passed.

But a very, very close second for me would be Tree Tots. I can remember being three or four years old and just being completely smitten with that treehouse playset. I have very vivid memories of playing with that extensively. Another one I surprisingly never owned as an adult collector, but I have a feeling if I got hold of one again I could easily get lost in playing with that set all over again

The figures/playset that I coveted the most when I was young was the Little People Sesame Street toys. I had a neighbor who owned many of them and I would go over and play with them any chance I got. Never owned them personally and for whatever reason my parents could never seem to find them for me in stores.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah, that was one of my favorites too! I was a Gilligan obsessive back then (reruns, cartoon, tv movies, everything) and that playset was part of my epic 1977 birthday haul. Dig it:
                            Same here! Gilligan was my favorite sitcom as a kid. Great pic! That was epic!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎