X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mexican Aquaman

Tracked down a toy I've wanted for ages recently and it's certainly not the Aquaman, let alone a Shogun Warrior you're probably familiar with but I can explain some of this mystery after the jump.

You see in Japan, Popy created a Jumbo Machinder (which is what Shogun Warriors were based on) of one of my favourite Japanese TV characters, Kamen Rider X!

I don't know who to credit for this image.

I happen to be mildly obsessed with Kamen Rider characters.

As much as I would like one of these, they're expensive and my kids need to visit a dentist in this life time.

Enter Mexico with a home grown lower cost equivalent to the rescue!

A Mexican company called Jugarama (which sounds like a Russ Meyer film festival that I'd most definitely attend and buy a shirt) released Kamen Rider X as "Aquaman" and while I wouldn't describe him as "cheap" I would say he falls into the category of "more affordable".

Here is a boxed shot I found:

My original thought that maybe the series aired in Mexico, X had an underwater base, so calling him "Aquaman" wasn't a bad idea but I've asked several Mexican toy collectors and they've said nope, so it's a mystery!

This is X with his 12" Henshin Cyborg counterpart.

Funny Story: I only won this guy thanks to an error. I was at a pub with friends and didn't want to be rude with my phone. So i placed a last minute bid under the table and pushed send when i accidentally added a zero. I had bid thousands instead of hundreds on this.

I sat there smiling, pretending nothing was wrong for the longest 60 seconds of my life. In the end, he cost me almost $125 more than I had but that's a whole lot better than the possible alternative.

Don't be like me kids, don't drink and Ebay.

Happy Weekend People!
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • El Hombre Nuclear
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 5, 2014

Now that's pretty cool. Is that a vehicle I see on the side panel of the box?

My favorite Kamen Rider is probably "Amazon". That particular series is just demented and weird.

I've had that same "extra zeros" thing happen a couple of times in my rare LP collecting days. The resulting symptoms included elevated heart rate, sweating, and inability to swallow.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's one of those toy stories that keep the hobby fun. Trying to figure out why this guy exists with this name. I wonder if Rob Kelly will want this?

I've done the zero thing too, but luckily I've noticed my error before hitting send. Glad it all worked out!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by El Hombre Nuclear

My favorite Kamen Rider is probably "Amazon". That particular series is just demented and weird.
        It's truly an exercise in bad judgement, i imagine it gave kids nightmares.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Cool toy. I just know the americanized versions that Mattel put out, but when I see a new one I wish I had more shelf space.

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

great story! never seen THIS aquaman before.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Whoa, great toy, I'm jealous! And considering that you'd have to sell a kidney to buy a Popy Kamen Rider X, this is a good substitute.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Now if this Aquaman was in the Batman vs. Superman film,it would roll over all of the other superhero films coming out.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

When I read the title of this thread I was expecting Aquaman wearing a sombrero or something...LOL

Cool figure though! Congrats!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Great story. I'm jealous, this would be s great way to get into FOAM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Neutron X
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 22, 2007

WOW! Great story, great buy! Congrats! I'd love one but doubt I'll ever find one in my price range.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

How freakin' cool is that?! What a fun story though. Wow... That was a fortunate outcome all things considered. Congrats on your score!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎