X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

UP Close: Mary Marvel and Harley Quinn

Fans have been asking for a while to bring on the ladies and Figures Toy Company delivered this past month in the form of fan favourites Mary Marvel (sister to Captain Marvel now known as Shazam!) and Harley Quinn, known accomplish to “Mr. J” who has been a fan favourite since her debut in 1992.

Released as the 3rd wave of their Kresge style Superhero series, these two figures have been subject to a flurry of discussion since their announcement and definitely characters that warrant a photo review here at the Museum.

So, as with all of our “Mego Museum Up Close” features, we let the pictures do the talking.

Like what you see? You can order them at our Sponsor Entertainment Earth right now.
    Buy DC Comics Kresge Style 8-Inch Retro Action Figures Series 3 Set at Entertainment Earth. Mint Condition Guaranteed. FREE SHIPPING on eligible purchases. Shop now!

See the Review Here:

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Not really loving either of these, honestly. I like the costumes, but not really knowing why they went that way with Harley's hood. A sculpted one may have looked better. Also still feel the Invisible Girl head was too "hard" for Mary. She's one of the few DC females the cutesy baby doll Super Gal head was perfect for.

Still, thanks for the review. These are great, and very helpful in deciding if these new releases are must have, or just "maybe.".

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

I agree about the head. Not that anyone should have to, but it would be easy to swap out for one of these heads:

Classic Tv Toys started making retro MEGO type 8 inch action figures in 2005.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Great review! I like both figures. They are not first round pick ups, but I'll eventually get them. I like every aspect about them. Personally glad to get away from the dolly look for Mary Marvel. A more mature face fits my liking.

Comment

• rodkeith
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 16, 2008

While I agree the more doll-like head seems more natural for Mary, I strangely like this one. I'm hoping as time goes on and FTC re-does the Mego females (as they're going to do with the upcoming Wonder Woman) they'll continue to update with more realistic versions that better match the male heads.

Thanks for the review!

Comment

• shazam7208
            Career Member
            • Oct 28, 2008

Overall I like the Mary Marvel....I'm glad they softened Mary's face from the prototype. Loving the cape design....good job!

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

I like them and think Harley looks fantastic aside the Joker in that pic. I think Mary has too much head showing but nice looking figure.

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 5, 2015

The cape will be the selling point for me. Especially the design in the back. The replacement heads wouldn't work for me. Too sort of cutesy.

An improvement from what came out.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                  Author of Small Things
                  • Jun 14, 2001

I'm tempted by both, but hope they also make them on regular cards. I sold all my Kresge Megos years ago, and these wouldn't really go with my current collection.
                  --
                  Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎