Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I was told I couldn't go see Rabid with Marilyn Chambers.

40 years later I finally watched it --- found it on youtube and I must say besides it being one of the worst movies ever made there was nothing nasty in it besides some passing nudity like all R films of the day.

I guess just the idea of Chambers being in it gave it a "nasty" reputation.

It's nasty alright but for a different reason

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

i remember expose aka house on straw hill got banned i think that and clockwork orange were the only brit ones.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

If anyone is really interested in this subject matter, I highly recommend this documentary:
        https://severin-films.com/shop/video...itive-guide-2/

I have not seen the part 2:
        https://severin-films.com/shop/video...-guide-part-2/

But you'll gain a pretty good feel for the video equivalent of book burning in the golden days of VHS in the UK.

I also HIGHLY recommend listening to the podcast "Doin' The Nasty" on the Horrorphilia podcast network. They watch and review the films, so you don't have to. I listened to see if there were any hidden gems that had yet to be unearthed. Turns out, most of them were just really, really poorly made films.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Mikey
          I was told I couldn't go see Rabid with Marilyn Chambers.

40 years later I finally watched it --- found it on youtube and I must say besides it being one of the worst movies ever made there was nothing nasty in it besides some passing nudity like all R films of the day.

I guess just the idea of Chambers being in it gave it a "nasty" reputation.

It's nasty alright but for a different reason
          The Soska sisters are planning on a remake which I am looking forward to. I watched Cronenberg' Squirm when I was 10 or 11 on tv and couldnt sleep with my legs open for years!

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
            Career Member
            • Apr 30, 2015

Another that springs to mind is The Devils. Doesn't fall into the nasties category, but it got banned in certain areas of the U.K. by their authorities.
            Personally really enjoyed this one. Completely understand the ban, but thought it was a very well made piece of cinema. It was shown on TV over here a few years back in its entirety except for the infamous 'rape of Christ' scene. Which for some reason was shown in a documentary before the film was shown.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

The BBFC overreacted significantly regarding banning and cutting home video releases in the 80s.
              A lot of this was due to James Ferman's tenure as head of the organization.
              These days pretty much all of the previously banned movies have been reclassified and released uncensored with all previous cuts waived.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎