Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shogun Warrior Zargon (Possible Sample from the Testing Dept)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickD
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 31, 2011

Shogun Warrior Zargon (Possible Sample from the Testing Dept)

I bought a huge collection along time ago from a individual who's Grandmother worked for Mattel. In this collection was Shogun Godzilla and this Shogun Zargon. He claimed these two piece were straight from the testing department where she worked.

Shogun Zargon has a sticker "10" on the body of it. Here is the letter he wrote to help validate the story on original Mattel letterhead. I don't doubt his grandmother worked for the Testing Department, but I am not sure how to validate this Shogun Zargon actually was a Testing example??

Was hoping to get some feedback from more experienced Shogun collectors.

Last edited by RickD; Feb 7, '16, 11:43 AM.
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Appears to be an early test version of Gaiking. It looks similar to the awesome Popy version sold in Japan. If I remember the story correctly, Mattel thought it looked too scary for kids, so they made the skull less threatening and American kids ended up with this dopey mess.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Appears to be an early test version of Gaiking. It looks similar to the awesome Popy version sold in Japan.
      No, the Zargon is a completely different toy. It's not jumbo sized but a smaller version of Gaiking that can be disassembled into different forms (Combatra was also a part of the line in Japan, but unfortunately Mattel did not bring him over here). Anyway, if it was a testing sample, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference in the value, it's not like it's a prototype or first shot or anything, but just rather an actual production toy that had tests done on it, to make sure it worked properly, was safe, etc. At any rate, it looks to be in really nice condition and complete, so it's a nice grab IMO, I like it!

Comment

• RickD
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 31, 2011

So the "10" could mean it was from the testing department? By no means did I think I had a million dollar item, but if I sell it I want someone to have the entire story.
        Last edited by RickD; Feb 7, '16, 3:40 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Hard to say, Rick, a hand written sticker like that could have come from anywhere, but it's certainly possible. But I totally get that if you wanted to sell it you'd want to provide as much as the toy's possible background as you could, including that cool letter. If nothing else, it would make a nice conversation piece.

Comment

• RickD
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Hard to say, Rick, a hand written sticker like that could have come from anywhere, but it's certainly possible. But I totally get that if you wanted to sell it you'd want to provide as much as the toy's possible background as you could, including that cool letter. If nothing else, it would make a nice conversation piece.
            I completely agree the hand written sticker could have came from anywhere. I still have the first issue Godzilla with the weights in the legs from this collection. I'd like to keep the letter with the Godzilla. He did give me extra Letterhead papers though.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

The torso, wheels, track, legs reappear on a robot called Big Blue (I think). I had the robot in the 70s, but havent come across any decent pictures of him over the years.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎