Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Beatles 'Helter Skelter' considered Metal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Is The Beatles 'Helter Skelter' considered Metal?

There is a question about early Metal and where/when it started. I posted that 'Helter Skelter' by The Beatles would be pretty early in the Metal food chain. If not right at the top. As usual you get deniers that say it's not Metal. I don't know it they are more offended by the fact that it was a Beatles song or even more offended that it was conceived by Paul McCartney? What say you the Heavy Metalheads here on the Museum?
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

isn't blue cheer -vincebus eruptum usually considered to be where it started.

Comment

• Type3Toys
      Home Of The Type3 Body
      • Jan 18, 2005

It very well could be considered metal IMO. It is amazing when you look at all the Beatle firsts'. I mean, The Beatles were actually releasing music videos on TV called featurets nearly 20 years before MTV came out!
      LOOK
      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
      To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• GlobalObserver
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 12, 2004

As far as I'm concerned, Heavy Metal didn't truly begin until the first Black Sabbath album was released in 1969/1970.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

It possibly could be, but I don't think the Beatles intented it to be.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I consider Steppenwolf's Born to be wild, released around the same time as Helter Skelter, to be much closer to proto Metal.

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
            As far as I'm concerned, Heavy Metal didn't truly begin until the first Black Sabbath album was released in 1969/1970.
            I agree with that. I'd also add Alice Cooper.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Predates Helter Skelter by four years.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Predates Helter Skelter by four years.

maybe the earliest punk song

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by daz71
                  maybe the earliest punk song
                  The Kinks had a lot of influence on both Metal and punk.

From 1965.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

Metal is a lot like punk in that there are many precedents to be considered. Blue Cheer and Jimi Hendrix are often cited, but the fuzzy Kinks' guitars and experimental Beatles probably helped. Then there are just accidents thrown into the mix, such as Iommi's guitar tuning due to his missing fingertips. It's a rich tapestry indeed.

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      The Kinks had a lot of influence on both Metal and punk.

From 1965.

my favourite band 64-71

Comment

• Type3Toys
                        Home Of The Type3 Body
                        • Jan 18, 2005

The Beatles are actually credited with the first recorded use of deliberate guitar feedback. No other 60's or beyond rock band, Kinks, Sabbath, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Nirvana, any of them, would exist without the introduction by The Beatles of guitar feedback.
                        LOOK
                        Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                        For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                        To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

The Kinks were really the first to experiment with the Metal staple of a loud distorted guitar sound. You can clearly hear this in You really got me.

Dick Dale's surfer rock guitar style is also an early Metal influence. From 1963.

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

some people mention iron butterfly as been the first heavy band too both their in a gadda da vida and blue cheer 1st album were before helter skelter.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 28, 2013

As a type of metalhead (there seems to be so many sub-genres), I dont consider it metal. I used to work with a good friend that treated me like a son and he would listen to oldies radio with The Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Beatles, etc. I think it was "Come Together" played on the radio, and I said I liked the song and he called it headbanger music.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎