X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Rare Mailer Box Joker… Mint On Card??

Recently, a vintage toy flipper here in Portland, OR heard of a deceased local woman who was such a magnificent hoarder during her lifetime, that her family required five (!) separate Estate Sales to liquidate her belongings. Among countless items sold was an Unpunched Mego ©1977b Joker, Mint-On-Card.

When I first saw this tiny thumbnail photo, I was attracted to the mysterious markings above the character logo:

Enlarging the photo, I could see it was a number, imprinted with an ink stamp. At first blush, the stamped number might look like a random defacing, perhaps done by an after-market seller or even a kid.

But it isn’t random.

I instantly recognized the first two digits, “48” as the prefix code for items sold through Montgomery Ward Christmas Catalogs throughout the 1970s. But such toys were always sold in plain, brown “Mailer” Boxes, right? Surely our late, Oregon-based hoarder didn’t acquire this graphical, retail-only 2nd Issue card through the Montgomery Ward catalog, did she? Well I went and met with the current owner, to judge for myself, and take some better photos.

Knowing Mego didn’t manufacture this particular 2nd Issue Card design until Fall 1977, I hoped to confirm that Ward did, in fact, offer Joker during (or later than) Christmas 1977. I hurriedly ran downstairs to rifle through my vintage Ward catalogs. Sure enough, Ward did offer Joker consistently (every year from 1974-1978, in fact).

But the Item Code? Does it match?! Here’s a scan from the 1977 Ward Catalog:

Incidentally, this Item Code was specific to Ward CATALOGS only, and was not even used in their own stores, which featured a different nomenclature.

OK, so: CONFIRMED. This gorgeous 2nd Issue carded Mego Joker was purchased via the Montgomery Ward Christmas catalog in either 1977 or 1978 (Remember, it couldn’t have been earlier, because Mego didn’t manufacture this card design until Fall 1977).

But WHY does this exist? The Ward catalog had been offering Mego World’s Greatest Super-Heroes action figures for years — including "Catalog Exclusives" such as the "Holy Grail" Secret Identities outfits in 1974 and Isis in 1976 — so this process should have been a well-oiled machine. In fact, Ward catalogs offered Joker for five consecutive years… one would think Ward would have had a pretty good handle on their Joker inventory requirements!

So just how did Ward exhaust their supply of plain brown Joker boxes, necessitating that they pull this 2nd Issue card from their "Retail" inventory, and stamp it with a Christmas Catalog item number? I love the fact that this specimen is Unpunched — the stamp directly covering the punch-hole — suggesting that this card was pulled directly from a shipping case. (Or at least before it actually hit the store’s toy aisle!)

Man! As if Mailer Boxes weren’t already difficult enough to find, Collectors now need to be on the look-out for 2nd Issue Cards, too?

It’s fun to speculate what happened here, and I have a couple possible explanations, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. What say you, my Mailer Box Lovin' Mego Sleuths?

- Benjamin
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Also, if anyone is interested in OWNING this piece, the seller currently has it on eBay, with a "Make Offer" option. If you negotiate with the seller — his name is Aaron and he's super nice — please be sure to tell him Benjamin sent you.  

Here's a link to the auction.

- Benjamin

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

Now that is really cool! I've wondered whether cards were shipped by catalogs. Heroes World shipped cards, didn't they? I seem to recall someone who had a batch of those.
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by MegoScott
        Now that is really cool! I've wondered whether cards were shipped by catalogs. Heroes World shipped cards, didn't they? I seem to recall someone who had a batch of those.
        Definitely, Scott. I'm sure Heroes World used graphical packaging, since they had brick-and-mortar stores many of the years Mego figures were available. I've always wondered if HW also received "Mego" Mailer Boxes (i.e. Plain Brown boxes imprinted with MEGO's own Item Numbers.)

I have never seen anything like this Joker, so I'm excited!

- Benjamin

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

very cool. Glad I am not collecting WGSH any longer!

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
            very cool. Glad I am not collecting WGSH any longer!
            SERIOUSLY! Especially the 2nd Issue Cards, which is a brutally competitive marketplace. :O

- Benjamin

Comment

• rchatlin
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 24, 2001

Great detective work, Benjamin.

I seem to recall a few examples of carded figures with the flap folded over, so to better fit in a rectangular box.
              I wonder if some of these may be been store stock drafted into mail order fulfillment.

r
              o
              b

Comment

• imp
                Mego Book Author
                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by rchatlin
                I seem to recall a few examples of carded figures with the flap folded over, so to better fit in a rectangular box. I wonder if some of these may be been store stock drafted into mail order fulfillment.
                Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking, Rob. I'm just surprised they RAN OUT of brown Joker boxes. Especially if it was in 1977, because Ward also offered Joker in 1978. Perhaps that just suggests this piece was sold in 1978? Hard to know.

I recall seeing the 'fold-over-flap' MOC pieces, too… but characters like Kristy McNichol and Fonzie. I don't believe I have ever seen a WGSH card 'drafted' (I like that!) into the Mailer Box fulfillment world. Have you? Maybe your photo archives would reveal something?

At any rate, the piece has SOLD, so this wonderful specimen will be on loving display in a Mego collector's home, and not stuck i a cardboard box under a desk. So that's awesome.

- Benjamin

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 13, 2009

Awesome discovery! Seems the seller took the best offer, even though it was listed at "only" $995. Seems really cheap, given its rarity and novelty (being recently unearthed)!

Thanks for the info, Benjamin!

Comment

• imp
                    Mego Book Author
                    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                    Awesome discovery! Seems the seller took the best offer, even though it was listed at "only" $995. Seems really cheap, given its rarity and novelty (being recently unearthed)!

Thanks for the info, Benjamin!
                    My pleasure. I love this kind of stuff, even though it typically raises more questions than answers.

I understand the Joker was purchased for less than the $995 "Buy It Now" price. The seller, Aaron, is not a Mego guy (he owns a Yugioh store here in Portland) and he just threw that number on it to essentially cover himself. In other words, he wasn't sure whether or not this was a rare Mego (boy, is it ever!), which is why he started high and added the "Make an Offer" feature.

As I responded to another Collector who questioned the price:
                    I thought his price was a bit high, too, but such pure, seldom-handled and super high-grade 2nd Issue Mego cards are TOUGH to come by. Now, if it were a ©1976 Joker card, and looked like that?? It would be waaaay UNDER-PRICED at $1,000.

At any rate, I'm really excited this piece is now in the hands of someone who can appreciate such a unique and special piece of Mego (and obsolete Retail) history. I have to be honest: If I were still actively Collecting Mego stuff, I would have jumped ALL over this, and made sure I had the item in hand, before mentioning the revelation to fellow Collectors!

- Benjamin

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by imp
                      Definitely, Scott. I'm sure Heroes World used graphical packaging, since they had brick-and-mortar stores many of the years Mego figures were available. I've always wondered if HW also received "Mego" Mailer Boxes (i.e. Plain Brown boxes imprinted with MEGO's own Item Numbers.)

I have never seen anything like this Joker, so I'm excited!

- Benjamin
                      my cousin got a falcon from heroes world and it came in a plain brown box,he wondered why mine was carded but his was boxed in a plain box.

Comment

• rchatlin
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 24, 2001

Ben,
                        I checked my photo archive, and came up empty, unfortunately.

Still, it's great to see these odd pieces pop up. Where there's one, there'll certainly be another.

r
                        o
                        b

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by rchatlin
                          Ben,
                          I checked my photo archive, and came up empty, unfortunately.

Still, it's great to see these odd pieces pop up. Where there's one, there'll certainly be another.

r
                          o
                          b
                          Thanks for checking! Did you come across ANY folded-flap "Mailer Box" Cards of any character? I swear I've seen those other characters I mentioned (e.g. Fonzie), along with other, non-Mego figures like S.W.A.T. But I'm not sure.

- Benjamin

Comment

• megozilla13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 10, 2002

I owned a carded POTA astronaut with a JC Penny shipping label attached to the card. The same shipping label that appeared on the brown mailer boxes. The flap was not bent over. The astronaut was only offer by JCPenny in 1975. Which makes sense as it was a t2 figure. I always assumed this piece existed because they ran out of the brown boxes and shipped carded figures instead. I'll look to see if I still have a picture.

I remember folded flap mailer boxed cards of either lincoln monsters or tomlands.

mikej
                            Last edited by megozilla13; Feb 14, '16, 10:19 AM.
                            WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• imp
                              Mego Book Author
                              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megozilla13
                              I always assumed this piece existed because they ran out of the brown boxes and shipped carded figures instead. I'll look to see if I still have a picture.
                              It definitely makes sense. It's intriguing, knowing how separate these companies' Catalog and Retail departments were; usually not in the same locations (the enormous Monkey Ward building here in Portland, that housed both store types, was not typical), completely separate inventory with completely different SKUs. As i understand it, there were a limited number of "Catalog Overstock" stores, so this type of thing couldn't have happened in every state the retailer served. It's fascinating. I'd love to see photos if you can find 'em, Mike.

Originally posted by megozilla13
                              I remember folded flap mailer boxed cards of either lincoln monsters or tomlands.
                              I do, as well. But I cannot for the life of me, think of any instance of a WGSH card being introduced into Catalog territory. Surely this Joker isn't the only one in existence, but I had never seen it before. Fun stuff! Thank you for posting, Mike.

- Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎