X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau

Caught this on Netflix the other day, totally spell binding story and often hilarious. The Brando stuff is just....gold.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I have watched that as well. it is interesting to watch. Brando was a freak by that point in his life

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah he was clearly just playing games but his contributions to that film are the only things good about it to me.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

I have to see this! I loved Brando in that role. Actually, I enjoyed the film quite a bit, and have watched it numerous times over the years. Travolta did a pretty funny interpretation of Brando on SNL.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Sweet jebus, what a cluster. A real entertaining story but I am amazed it got released after hearing the nightmarish behind the scenes antics. I work in the vicinity (and seldom with, if at all possible,) some huge egos, and obviously nothing as overt as the stars in this film but seeing it on such a level really shines a light on this behaviour in my own surroundings. It is the utmost test of a man' patience, and this quote about Brando sums it up nicely...
          "You had to keep taking away problems he created in order to put the work off, then finally, you got the work"

Comment

• GordoCrisp
            Museum Super Collector
            • Nov 1, 2012

I dug this movie as well. I love the tales of the crazy side of show biz. They are all too rare.

Hilarious on-set ego wars between Brando and Val Kilmer....ooofff...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Watched this on Netflix last night...good gravy! I had no idea Rob Morrow (from Northern Exposure) was in this at one point. The documentary really doesn't even mention David Thewliss replacing him, which is odd.

Was this the straw that broke Val Kilmer's career? Maybe Stanely used some voodoo on HIM? If he did, he had it coming.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I think Val Kilmer is what broke Val Kilmer's career. he was always reported to be very difficult to work with. he's a prima donna

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh yeah, I know. My impression is, he had a look, and a modicum of talent...but so did 20 other utility "leading men" who didn't wallow in their own *******ry the way Kilmer reportedly did. So eventually, Holloywood decided he wasn't worth the trouble.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I had no idea Rob Morrow (from Northern Exposure) was in this at one point. The documentary really doesn't even mention David Thewliss replacing him, which is odd.
                    Yeah I thought that was odd there was no mention of him as well. Even a quick mention would have seemed to make sense.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Of the various film adaptations of the story, I prefer the 70s version with Michael York, but the Kilmer one was worth watching largely due to the adorable Fairuza Balk.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎