X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

DCs Legends of Tomorrow

Just for context: I don't really watch any of the current live action superhero shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl)

The premiere for Legends of Tomorrow seemed pretty blah. I don't expect much out of a pilot plot wise, which this delivered on, but many of the characters just didn't seem to click either. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but this seems like seriously mindless TV.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It kinda reminded me of a throw-away 80s comic but I liked comics in the 80s so I'll keep going.

Captain Cold is not growing on me.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

The first episode felt a little rushed to me especially when Rip Hunter was "collecting" his team.
      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Rip just reminds me of Rory, so that's distracting. I keep expecting to see a blue box!

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I have to admit, I wasn't that wow struck with this episode but then you have to remember this is pt 1 of the pilot so lets what till next week to see how it goes.

As a chronicler of comic book in the media I watch all the shows, but the order I watch them in determines how much I care for the show. I will be watching this series when it airs where as Agent Carter I wait till the weekend.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
            Captain Cold is not growing on me.
            I have hated that actor/character since the very moment I saw him debut in The Flash...his constant smugness is just painfully rolling up the eyes annoyingly irritating to me.
            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I've come around to Cold through his constant presence on the Flash, but yeah, the actor's take is...interesting.

The episode was good, not great. BUT, pilots usually aren't. Supergirl was the exception, but then her next several episodes dipped dramatically in quality. I'm willing to let this one find it's legs.

But yes, the beginning was VERY rushed.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

I liked it a lot. Like Palitoy said, it seemed like a super hero comic book. I like super hero comic books. To set the stage and introduce all those characters plus throw in the bit with college professor and for it to work as well as it did, was a job well done in my book. I get the complaint that it was rushed, but I don't mind a big silly-fun super hero show being fast out of the gate. There are so many shows today that simmer that I found the pace fun. The faster it goes the less time to think about the implausibility of it all. That's not always a bad thing. The show's the equivalent of cotton candy, but nothing's wrong with a little cotton candy now and then.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Good point. That's why I enjoy the Flash...it's fun. This is less angsty than the Flash, despite the heavy opening. It did have a slight Doctor Who vibe, or at least the Tennant and Smith eras.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

Dalek.jpg

The "Legends" crew cobbled together a Dalek facsimile, outfitting it with bright lights and a comedic speech bubble. It may be more adorable than terrifying, but it's still a Dalek. (CBR)
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

I wish they had spent more time in the 70s world, the bar scene was probably the best part of the show for me. I like the characters, Prof Stein and White Canary most. Heat Wave is going to be the breakout character, he's getting the best lines. The Hawks are the weakest characters to me, neither one is very appealing to me. I'll see how it settles in though, it's still coming together.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Jonah Hex is being filmed now:

Episode 11: The Magnificent Eight

A true legend of the Old West, a morally ambiguous gunslinger with a penchant for danger. Surprisingly, he knows a thing or two about time travel and the future, but is at home in the Wild West. He’s been battling outlaws and gangs for awhile now, and advises the team to be extra careful when they arrive in the small town of Salvation.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Just finished the first episode myself. It was actually pretty good for a "pilot" episode, but that's mostly because I think we're all pretty familiar with Rip's crew. The effects budget on this show must be a killer so unless it pulls in numbers at least close to ARROW and FLASH, I don't think it will last too long. Agreed, the bar fight scene was one of the show's highlights. I've gotten to the point where I actually like Cold's snarkiness and Heatwave's basic, brutal nature. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this show actually has a little bit of a GOTG vibe going on. Rip is basically Quill, White Canary is Gamora, Snart is sorta Rocket and Mick Rory is tantamount to Drax, only with a flamethrower/heat ray. The Atom is still primarily an IRON MAN clone (right down to his wrist gauntlets sounding just like Iron Man's repulsor blasts). If GOTG had included NOVA, I would see a definite parallel between Nova and Firestorm.

Yeah, they were guilty of cramming too much into 40 minutes, but at least the pilot is, in actuality, around an hour and twenty minutes if you combine parts one and two and take out all the commercials.

The time travel sequences definitely had a very WHOvian feel to them, which is to be expected one would suppose. Arthur Darvill makes for a fine time master (or ex-time master), but I kept thinking I was going to hear someone screw up and call him a Time Lord.

It was entertaining and lightweight, but at least it's not another dark and gritty trip into the DCverse. I'll stick with it for awhile and see how it progresses...
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I was not overly impressed but I will give it time to find it's legs as well. I like Cpt Cold and his snarkiness but as a weekly character I do see it getting old

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

So the entire Legends of Tomorrow gang, plus the future guy...and his ship...can't handle one single poor man's Boba Fett?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎