Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Re: Dark Universe--How in the world can Uni update Phantom of the Opera? The thought of it scares me, and not in a good way.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Yeah, in this age of advanced facial reconstruction surgery...the whole Phantom of the Opera story would be a moot point in today's modern day, lol...
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Updating the Gillman is easy, but placing the others outside of 1880-1930 is problematic for me.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
          Yeah, in this age of advanced facial reconstruction surgery...the whole Phantom of the Opera story would be a moot point in today's modern day, lol...
          Oh, deformity is still an obstacle, but all the other trappings of the story are pure melodrama. Maybe as a reclusive media manipulator? IDK...

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Looks like Wonder Woman is burying this mess at the box office.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

A month ago, Uni thought it was an easy win. Two weeks ago, it would neck and neck. Monday, they projected a 10M loss, 50 to 40. Then, WW had absurd Monday returns, and it became clear this weekend would be 60M to 30M....

...yet, it's going to be Cruise's biggest worldwide opening ever thanks to Asia. Because he's apparently relevant in South Korea (?) and the China market is now fully opened compared to a decade ago. In.Sane.

I now have this image of DU being all set across Asia, as a monster rally reboot of Frankenstein Conquers The World.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Looks like Wonder Woman is burying this mess at the box office.
                Having seen it today, I can assure you it isn't a mess at all. I found it to be a solid entry into the Dark Universe and extremely entertaining. I enjoyed it just as much as Wonder Woman, but for different reasons.
                Unfortunately I feel it's being unfairly judged by three different groups of people.

1. The die hard classic Universal Monster purists who reject anything that isn't Karloff, Chaney or Lugosi.
                2. Fans of the Brendan Fraser series who have rejected this reboot from the start...there were even online petitions to bring him back.
                3. Tom Cruise haters. There are a growing number of people who are turned off by him and his ties to Scientology and refuse to watch anything he's in.

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Well, it is doing very well overseas so there's hope for the Dark Universe yet.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Updating the Gillman is easy, but placing the others outside of 1880-1930 is problematic for me.
                    Sandy Collora already did...

sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

I definitely prefer the classic monsters in the proper period, but it's necessary to update them. If done well, I will have no issue with them. Honestly, Frankenstein is the only one who I have a hard time placing into modern times.

Comment

• jacoblb
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2009

I saw it today and got what I expected. I expect a common criticism from fans and from podcasts I'll hear will be all the CGI, which hardly affects solely the horror genre. But that's the norm of today,

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^I don't even blink at it anymore. If it's done well, I just accept it and go on. That's like complaining about green/blue screen work 40 years ago.

If it appears cheaply done and doesn't live up to the current standard, then I call foul. Not to beat a dead horse but I still feel Doomsday looked terrible in last year's BvS. The current version of The Mummy Returns' Scorpion King, oddly enough.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

I thought the movie was okay... I liked the overall tone, and the story (while hardly original or innovative) was entertaining enough.
                            I liked the fact that Dr. Jekyll was in there and the various "Easter egg" artifacts in the Prodigium's base were really fun to spot.
                            I'm all for a unified "Dark Universe" concept. If handled correctly it could be very cool.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Wife and I saw it last night. Since all of the reviews have been negative, we went in with low expectations. We actually enjoyed it. I thought it had a good tone... It never felt too heavy or too light. Very accessible to all ages. I definitely don't think it deserves the low numbers at Rotten Tomatoes and the crushing reviews. But I'm finding myself more and more in conflict with reviewers these days.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Well, the critics at Rotten Tomatoes have it at a very low 17%...but the audience ratings at 45% is pretty low too...audience ratings usually are always almost really high for these popcorn adventure type movies.

I myself are not going to watch it at the theater...I'll wait for the Redbox release.

Why? Because of the critics? Audiences?

No...because of the lame revelation that Cruise is a more powerful monster than her...and I didn't post a spoiler warning here, because I'm not spoiling anything...it's in all the bloody trailers, that's why.

Now...to keep my rant on this subject...the following are indeed spoilers...

***SPOILERS***

So after being spoiled by the trailer...I just had to read the rest of the story online...and yup...bloody Universal head honchos...Cruise attains Set's powers and snuff the female Mummy...great...no need for me to spend $15 at the theater now...only $2 at Redbox, that's the most Universal is getting from me. Your fault for that major awful spoiler. End rant...

End of **SPOILERS*****
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎