X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
    I'm not a Tom Cruise fan at all, but I'm still looking forward to this...something in my gut tells me it's going to be good.
    I'm your total opposite on this one. I'm a Tom Cruise fan...but I'll wait to rent it at Redbox...the fact that the trailers shows he's going to be a more powerful monster than the Mummy chick, I mean, that's about the lamest spoiler ever revealed in a trailer ever...that reeks of desperation.

If the Mummy does not unseat Wonder Woman at the box office in its first week of release...that might be the end of the Mummy series for Universal.
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Not a Cruise fan either but my family is down for this so I'll probably go.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

If the Mummy does not unseat Wonder Woman at the box office in its first week of release...that might be the end of the Mummy series for Universal.
        It might end the Dark Universe series for Universal! They didn't hem and haw on this one like they did Dracula Untold (it's the first movie in the shared universe. It's not. It is.). This is it folks.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          It might end the Dark Universe series for Universal! They didn't hem and haw on this one like they did Dracula Untold (it's the first movie in the shared universe. It's not. It is.). This is it folks.

Chris
          One industry writeup said the actual budget is around 200M. Woof.

I could see Bride still getting made as that's Bill Condon. But they need to backoff the Bad Robot sophistry. Even Matt Reeves walked into POTA after the table was set.

I keep looking at Kurtzman and Orci's track record and cannot believe they bought their pitch.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
            I'm your total opposite on this one. I'm a Tom Cruise fan...but I'll wait to rent it at Redbox...the fact that the trailers shows he's going to be a more powerful monster than the Mummy chick, I mean, that's about the lamest spoiler ever revealed in a trailer ever...that reeks of desperation.

If the reviews on RT (and other places like Grace Randolph and Chris Stuckmann on YouTube) are any indication, Hec, I find it really unlikely that Tom Cruise and his Mummy are going to be taking down Wonder Woman over the weekend; word of mouth on WW is an avalanche and it's popularity seems to be intensifying, so I think she'll get both new viewers this weekend as well as a lot of second or even third-time viewers, as well. Heck, I just want to get there for the FIRST time! LOL!
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Couple things I miss:

1. When Tom Cruise made movies I liked. He's great at playing a lawyer or investment banker or something. Aren't there anymore John Grisham novels they can mine for him? He's not an action star. Especially not now that he's an old man. Sure he was fine in Top Gun, but that's not an action movie in the traditional sense. He's flying around in a jet, so it's basically a desk job. He's better when he's not doing dropkicks and knocking down doors.

2. Mummy movies that had mummies in them.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                Couple things I miss:

1. When Tom Cruise made movies I liked. He's great at playing a lawyer or investment banker or something. Aren't there anymore John Grisham novels they can mine for him? He's not an action star. Especially not now that he's an old man.
                Man, now you've gone and made ME feel like an "old man"! LOL! Cruise is only 54, which is a year older than me (and likely close to the age of a lot of Forum members), but I don't consider him (or myself) an "old man." Trust me, at 54, Cruise can probably STILL run rings around a lot of actors (and people in general) half his age!
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

My point was, he wasn't particularly convincing to me as an "action hero" when he was 35, so he's even less so to me 20 years later. Obviously Arnold, Clint and others have proven you can be an action hero much later in age, but I never found Tom to be very convincing in that role and less so now that he's aged.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^It is odd that he's settled into "action only" as he's gotten older. Where's Rain Man? Born on the Fourth of July? Everything is an action flick for him for the last several decades.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Couple things I miss:

1. When Tom Cruise made movies I liked. He's great at playing a lawyer or investment banker or something. Aren't there anymore John Grisham novels they can mine for him? He's not an action star. Especially not now that he's an old man. Sure he was fine in Top Gun, but that's not an action movie in the traditional sense. He's flying around in a jet, so it's basically a desk job. He's better when he's not doing dropkicks and knocking down doors.

2. Mummy movies that had mummies in them.
                      In fairness to Cruise (I'm the same age by the way, lol)...the dude still does his own stunts...and I don't mean falling off a chair, or some easy thing like that...Cruise is a friggin daredevil. These scenes of him hanging from a rope from a skyscraper...and hanging on off a plane during takeoff...are all real...no camera tricks...the only thing digitally removed was his harness...but other than that...most youngester wouldn't dare do what he does...Cruise has balls of steel, that, or he's just plain bat crazy, which is not a stretch, lol...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Love him or hate him...he's really dedicated to his craft...in a serious way...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Extended plane featurette...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

My point was, he wasn't particularly convincing to me as an "action hero" when he was 35, so he's even less so to me 20 years later. Obviously Arnold, Clint and others have proven you can be an action hero much later in age, but I never found Tom to be very convincing in that role and less so now that he's aged.
                                Arnold, Clint, etc...none of those would do what Cruise does...they would poop in their collective pants, lol...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎