Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your predictions on the superhero blockbuster films of 2016?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Your predictions on the superhero blockbuster films of 2016?

which ones do you think

you will enjoy the most?
    have the biggest box office success?
    have the highest rotten tomatoes raking?
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

for Box office you might have them in order already. Maybe swap Deadpool with Batman/Superman. The R Rating will hut its performance a bit.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I think Civil War may outdo Batman v. Superman. It's hard to say how much Batman will affect the box office, since this is a new Batman. I expect it to outdo Man of Steel financially. Critically...if they course correct and come out of the darkness a bit by the end of the film, then they'll win over some fans on the fence. If not, stay off the internet for a few months.

Civil War MAY be hurt by another "super heroes beat each other up" movie coming a month beforehand. But I doubt it. Winter Soldier made SOLID BO, and hey, it's the Marvel franchise with most of the heavy hitters. Plus, Spider-Man. You know we're going to see him in ads and trailers right before it hits. I think the critical and fan response will be very positive. Unless everyone is still in that "we loved Avengers too much, let's hate Ultron" phase.

Deadpool...I don't know. I personally think they screwed themselves out of a lot of money by going so over-the-top with this one. It's beyond what's in the comics, even. It may surprise me, but much of Deadpool's audience is going to be forced to sit this one out.

Suicide Squad....I'm not sure. If the Arkham games crowd goes, it will be a hit. If not, then it's probably going to tank.

X-Men: More of the same. Similar box-office to the last films, but without Jackman, it may take a hit.

That's just me and my gut reaction.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        for Box office you might have them in order already. Maybe swap Deadpool with Batman/Superman. The R Rating will hut its performance a bit.
        My guess would be
        1. Civil War
        2. Batman v Superman
        3.Apocalypse
        4. Deadpool
        5. Suicide Squad

I'll probably only 2 or 3 in the theaters.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

I think DEADPOOL will do well, but it's not likely to be the top superhero moneymaker in 2016. Unfamiliarity with the general public and the R rating will limit it's audience.

SUICIDE SQUAD and X-MEN: APOCALYPSE, I think, are going to be vying for a fourth place position at the box office, at least for comic related movies.

I think the true showdown is going to be between the really big guns: BvS:DOJ and CA:CW.

BvS has the advantage of being the first time that two truly iconic characters (three if you count WW) have appeared onscreen together. Everyone knows Batman. Everyone knows Superman. Almost everyone knows about WONDER WOMAN. I have a feeling that, at least for it's opening weekend, it will have sizable numbers just because of the novelty of seeing these three icons together on the big screen. A lot will also depend on whether or not the public and comic fans can get the (semi)bad taste of MOS out of their cinematic mouths. IMHO, I think that's actually WHY they decided to go with B v S instead of a straight MOS sequel; The Batman is pretty much a proven box office draw and by having Batman and Superman in the same flick, it almost guarantees some pretty hefty coin.

Besides the disdain for MOS, the other hurdle BvS will face is the fact that it's opening in March, not really a month for blockbusters in most cases. It's way too early for it to be considered a "summer opener," so it may just have to settle for being a way to get people out of their houses on a possibly chilly March

CA:CW likely will open to huge numbers (not that anything will get past SW:TFA) unless the general public has too much fatigue for these characters. A:AoU did well, but wasn't quite as well received as the first Avengers movie. The fact that it's basically two teams of MARVEL heroes going at it may well be something that makes people want to see the film, especially since it is introducing new characters (Black Panther and, yes, Spidey (new to the MCU)) to the ever expanding MARVEL universe. It also has the advantage of opening in May, a pole position from which many MARVEL movies have benefited.

So, my predictions for the box office are:

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
          BATMAN v SUPERMAN: THE DAWN OF JUSTICE
          DEADPOOL
          X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE
          SUICIDE SQUAD
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

No Dr. Strange love?

Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

All will stink to high heaven

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by drquest
                No Dr. Strange love?

Man, I forgot the good doctor's movie comes out this year! I'm going to say that Strange will likely do Ant-Man sized numbers, but could do a little better because there are a lot of Benedict Cumberbatch fans out there...
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by drquest
                  No Dr. Strange love?

I'll say 3rd or 4th. As a Defenders fan I'm waiting to see this one the most.

On a related note I picked this up last weekend.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I think Deadpool will surprise people with its numbers. He's an underdog. Won't do the big money like B v. S or Civil War, but I predict good things.

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Mr.Marion

I'll say 3rd or 4th. As a Defenders fan I'm waiting to see this one the most.

On a related note I picked this up last weekend.
                      that would be great but what if they go for a later defenders with none of those characters it wouldn't suprise me.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 3, 2010

I have huge hopes for B v S. I believe, and am wishful that it finishes number 1 out of all of them. Opening in March didn't hurt Winter Soldier last year and should not affect B v S. If the movie is not good, then I doubt a buzz will occur and a lack of repeat viewers will hurt it's box office. I plan to see it more than once.
                        Civil War is gonna be a solid 2 or possible beat my horse for reasons noted above. I will definitely go see it once.
                        Dead pool looks like a winner but will be hurt with the R rating. could finish anywhere from third to last. I will go see it because it looks great.
                        X-Men looks very busy and am not sure where it will land. Definitely on bottom three. I have no desire to see it in the theater and will wait for the DVD.
                        Suicide Squad might just be the wild card out of the bunch. If it turns out to be good, it may post strong numbers. I will definitely see it at least once.
                        Doctor strange is way to soon to tell since all we have is an image of Cumberbatch. Personally, I have no plans on seeing it and would be shocked if it turns into another Ant - Man.
                        So if I was the only guy seeing these movies, Batman vs. Superman is the box office champ taking the most of my money !
                        mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

I think Batman v Superman will come on top. I'm not being biased here (many know I'm a DC guy)...but I think moviegoers have been waiting for a Batman/Superman together flick forever. People might be getting a bit blasé on the Avengers...even though technically is a Cap movie. Too many Avengers movies in a row in so little elapsed time. But it will make big numbers...I just think the newer and fresher Batman v Superman will edge it out in a close race.

Deadpool will have great R rated numbers...but not quite in the PG-13 box office hit territory.

I don't think X-Men Apocalypse will beat the previous X-flick box office numbers, Future Days Past was just a monster hit.

Suicide Squad will appeal to the millennial crowd.

Doctor Strange will have decent numbers...but will have a limited appeal...as Doc Strange is not your conventional superhero.
                          Last edited by Hector; Jan 19, '16, 5:03 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

didn't even realize Strange came out this year, that one might be a surprise to most and do well. Ant-Man wasn't all that well known and look how it did.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

It's going to be close between Civil War and Bats/Supes. I'll call it a tie for now. If DC could just get away from all that gloom and doom stuff most of their movies would be a winner, at least I know I'd be more apt to enjoy them more.
                              Deadpool will do better that what people think even given it's R rating. It still looks fun.
                              I'll definitely see these 3 anyway. The rest I could care less about and will only see them once the blue ray comes out. We're so lucky to have the superhero movies that we do right now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎