Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windebieste
    Museum Patron
    • Dec 31, 2015

Nice to see the figure had all its parts after all. It had just swallowed its tongue and those pieces were retrievable. That's still a good outcome.

Yeah, I've become accustomed to finding all kinds of things inside these figures but I've never found someone's secret stash inside. I have handled a few that have had severe cigarette odor. Washing them and lying them unassembled in the sun for as long as possible helps. I've discovered an ancient arthropod civilisation inside one of them - or at least it being used as their burial ground. The figure was loaded with dried out body parts, chitinous husks and loose legs. I had another one that was thick with spider webs. Dust and fluff is the most common discovery. I found a nail inside one. Usually such figures have at least one detached limb so that an easy entry point is made into the torso for such things.

Often, I'll find a small piece of plastic debris inside the figure. This debris will be one of the 8 very delicate small pins that the arms rest upon inside the torso. Once broken, these things are useless. On a couple of occasions, I've found a small sliver of plastic inside the figure that was broken from the slot where the spinal crest is mounted. I've glued these back onto the slot at the back to complete the clean edge and screwed the crest back into place.

The best thing I ever found inside one of these figures was three American pennies. It sure had an unexpected rattle when handled. I guess someone was just toying with it and dropped the coins into the exposed slot on its back; but who knows? It did give me the idea of widening up and tidying the slot a little more on one of these figures to accommodate larger coins and transform it into a piggy bank. I haven't gotten around to doing this just yet but I am still toying with the idea. I'm guessing to do so I will need to remove some the internal posts to make more space inside to make the moneybox idea work. Possibly fill the legs as well so small coins won't potentially disappear into the thighs and become unrecoverable. Well, I'd just use a pair of repaired legs for that purpose, ones with improvised flanges made from an old DVD case that seal the opening. This way, good legs don't get wasted, either. It's all about a conscious economy of resources when it comes to these things and reusing appropriate parts where possible and reserving good limbs for more deserving figures. I'd also have to remove the mounting plate that the quad appendages are attached to and fix those 4 pieces internally to the torso to increase the figure's capacity. I'd use a set that's already broken for that task. I have a couple broken sets on hand. So, yeah. I might transform one into a piggy bank just yet. lol.

Later, though, as it will take some time and thought to do properly and right now I have too much on my plate. Nonetheless, the great thing about the idea of using one of these figures as a moneybox is ease of accessibility. Removing the 4 screws in the back will permit access to any treasure inside when it's full. Too easy.

Either way, yes. Opening up one of these things can be an interesting exercise. Any kind of detritus and crap can be found inside. I haven't actually ever found anything inside any of them that was actually useful. Well, aside from a 3c rebate on a $100 purchase, that is.

On the other hand, I guess the best thing I have ever found inside on of these vintage figures is an Idea.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
      Museum Patron
      • Dec 31, 2015

Time to bump this good ol' topic to the top of the list once again. What better way to do so than with a good ol' fashioned Big Announcement? So, here goes...

Currently being prepared, 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream' is a non-fiction book scheduled for release in late 2017. The book is an extensive and fully detailed investigation into the history, maintenance and continuing legacy of the notorious 18 inch tall Kenner ALIEN action figure released in 1979. It is comprised of an excess of 200 pages of information and over 180 images.

HIDEOUS PLASTIC comprehensively examines the infamous action figure and is rapidly approaching completion. An exciting KickStarter campaign supporting its publication will be launched in early 2017. HIDEOUS PLASTIC is an independent publication and is currently not supported, authorised or endorsed by 20th Century Fox or its partners and/or affiliates.

Please visit www.hideousplastic.com for more information.

Thus Phase 2 has commenced. Have fun with that!

-Windebieste.
      Last edited by windebieste; Dec 7, '16, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• windebieste
        Museum Patron
        • Dec 31, 2015

Here's the 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC - REVEAL' video.

The video outlines some of the principal features and content of the 200+ page book to be published sometime late next year:

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
          Museum Patron
          • Dec 31, 2015

Right now I am on schedule to release the first version of the Preview Edition of my new book, HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream. The book is a multifaceted and complete investigation of the notorious Kenner Productions ALIEN action figure released in 1979. For now, to help stir up some curiosity and generate more interest in the book, here's a single page of how the content is shaping up.

When released, the Preview Edition will be a 30 page excerpt from the 200+ page book and the excerpt's content will comprehensively document the early years of the notorious 18 inch tall Kenner Products ALIEN action figure.

This single page is a very early work in progress sample from the non-fiction volume (the complete book isn't scheduled for release until late 2017). The release of the excerpt is intended among other things to be a promotional exercise for the full book. It is also to be considered an early and evolving manuscript subject to substantial changes depending on feedback I receive from the public during the months of early 2017.

The 30 page Preview Edition will be available for download on the 30th of December 2016 from Hideous Plastic (Don't forget to bookmark it.) as a FREE .pdf to anyone who wants to read it.

Don't forget to find out more about HIDEOUS PLASTIC: In stores everyone can hear you scream by checking out these online resources:

You can read more about the book here.

You can read the FAQ here.

You can watch the Reveal video in the post immediately above this one. Enjoy!

-Windebieste

Comment

• windebieste
            Museum Patron
            • Dec 31, 2015

HIDEOUS PLASTIC - Preview Edition is now available.

I am pleased to announce after 18 months of research and effort, a sample of the book is now available for your perusal. You can download this early work in progress version for FREE!

Keep in mind this is an early draft of a single chapter from the manuscript and it is continuing to evolve. It represents approximately 15% of the book's current content. As the book still requires a lot of attention, it won't be available until late 2017. Think of this release sample as a FREE 'early access demo'; and like such demos it is lacking in polish and presentation but most of its components are in place.

A lot of work still needs to be done on my part but any feedback is welcome.

Feedback can be sent to me: windebieste@hideousplastic.com.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• CaptainEO
              • May 10, 2008

Just read through this entire thread. I recently purchased my first 1979 Kenner Alien, and this thread has been invaluable for me! The figure itself is in great condition, but was missing his outer and inner teeth and dome, and his arms needed repair. I didn't think I would have been ever to afford to buy this figure, but by using your guides I was able to give some love to a non-complete figure and turn him into something I'm very proud to display. Thanks again!

Comment

• windebieste
                Museum Patron
                • Dec 31, 2015

You are welcome. Thank you.

What's most surprising is how even derelict figures can be given a good clean and improved dramatically with some attention. Sure, they will never be perfect mint condition figures but as you say, they can become a trophy you can be 'very proud to display'. I think having taken one of these figures and transforming it yourself into something that looks great and placing it in your collection has a lot to do with it.

I see it rewards as greater than just achieving the end goal - but as a personal achievement as well. Especially if you have photos of the figure when you acquired it and can then compare it to how it appears once all the work is completed. It's actually fun showing photos to your buddies and declaring "See these photos of this piece of **** 38 year old action figure? Well, this is what it looks like now!" and then waving your hand to the figure on display.

Watching their jaws drop is just too much fun.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
                  Museum Patron
                  • Dec 31, 2015

I've commenced working towards the KickStarter campaign for this book. More details can be found here.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I'll have to get one of the books for my daughter. I don't know how I missed all the posts about the book until now...

Comment

• windebieste
                      Museum Patron
                      • Dec 31, 2015

Nice. Thank you. I'll accept your comment as a vote of confidence.

Now, if this thread was considered worthy, it might get 'stickied' ...or maybe the upcoming KickStarter campaign (Commencing in early March) might make it on the front page as a News Item. That would be sweet! (hint, hint... )

The truth is, I need all the exposure and promotion I can get, now, to get the word out there about the book and the upcoming crowd funding effort. Every little bit helps.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
                        Museum Patron
                        • Dec 31, 2015

I am pleased to announced the KickStarter campaign for the book HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream has gone live.

The 200+ page book investigates just about every aspect of the original Kenner ALIEN action figure that was released in 1979. The KickStarter campaign will run for 60 days spanning March 1st to April 29. A minimum of US$20,000 is needed to reach the Primary Goal for this Project to be successful. Not high at all and very achievable.

Visit the KickStarter campaign page and show your support! Currently, the KickStarter campaign is the only way to secure your copy of HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream. The availability of this book after the campaign concludes is not guaranteed.

You have 60 days to decide if you want support this Project and acquire a copy.

Thank you for your attention.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
                          Museum Patron
                          • Dec 31, 2015

Don't forget, the HIDEOUS PLASTIC 'Early Bird' tier rewards Backers who support this Project now. You will receive a 30% discount on the book with your pledge! This offer is limited in quantity and time. Only 250 units are available. The offer expires on March 31.

HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream a 200 page book about one of the world's most notorious children's toys, the 1979 Kenner ALIEN Action figure. Now on KickStarter.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
                            Museum Patron
                            • Dec 31, 2015

The HeartStarter FLASH SALE! Reward Tier is now open for would be Backers on the HIDEOUS PLASTIC KickStarter campaign.

It’s the cheapest support option on the list that will reward you with a copy of the book. At 50% off the Full Print Edition you’ll be paying half price. There’s just one catch. Well, two actually. Firstly, the FLASH SALE is limited to only 50 copies. If they don’t move fast enough, then this Reward Option closes on March 16, less than 48 hours.

This Reward Tier is intended to appeal to anyone who may be undecided about supporting this Project. At half price the decision is made for you. All you have to do is make a Pledge. Pledges are AU$32.50 (Approx US$25).

Make a pledge. Make a difference. Do it now. This offer won’t last long.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• windebieste
                              Museum Patron
                              • Dec 31, 2015

The HeartStarter FLASH SALE! is now over. Some people decided to make a Pledge and take advantage of the cheapest rate on offer and that’s terrific. Now that the HeartStarter incentive has expired, it’s still not too late to demonstrate your support for this Project and still benefit from a cheaper rate.

The Early Bird Reward option is still available and offers 30% off the standard Full Print Edition reward. It’s a substantial saving for anyone who wants a copy of the book at a very affordable Pledge level. Visit the KickStarter campaign page for more details.

-Windebieste.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by windebieste
                                The HeartStarter FLASH SALE! is now over. Some people decided to make a Pledge and take advantage of the cheapest rate on offer and that’s terrific. Now that the HeartStarter incentive has expired, it’s still not too late to demonstrate your support for this Project and still benefit from a cheaper rate.

The Early Bird Reward option is still available and offers 30% off the standard Full Print Edition reward. It’s a substantial saving for anyone who wants a copy of the book at a very affordable Pledge level. Visit the KickStarter campaign page for more details.

-Windebieste.
                                Seems to me this option ended early. I guess you should have specified what time zone, because I have many hours of the 16th left. Too bad, I wanted to get three of them, but the price went way up.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎