Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 45 years of Bold Adventure

Images
    Blog Entries

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Type3Toys View Post
    I always thought the original AJ head looked like an old man, still do.
    I think AJ looks like Liberace.
    Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Apr 13, '16 at 9:59 PM.
    The hands that grip.

It might just be my Eyes but I have noticed he can take on quite a few forms

Thurman Munson

Fran Tarkington

Lorn Green

And I have always thought that he could have had more outfits besides the 18 boxed and couple of extra variations on the card... They should have handled him more like GI Joe... I am currently trying to come up with as many outfits for him as I can to mimic the Gi Joe Line for those on Facebook you probably have seen my Outfit 100 AJ Project... for those who don't do social media I am going to put a thread in the My toy room space

AJ Things that make AJ AJ

I have terrific memories of AJ! He just kind of came and went in the early ‘70s. I recall all those outfits and accessories. And the fact that he was really miniature compared to a big heavy GI Joe was cool.

His face...yes! Folks either love it or hate it. I love it. It’s more detailed than most sculpts. Compare it to say, a Captain America or Non-removable cowl Batman head, and AJ is very detailed.

Obviously, Mego was copying the GI Joe Adventure Team. AJ’s basic uniform is a variation of the “Air Adventurer” jumpsuit. Here’s what makes AJ AJ (for me -feel free to disagree):

1. White Boots -he is not a badass, assassin, or killer. He’s kid friendly! He might have been a soldier in the past and has a military background. He is a good guy ready to save somebody!
    2. Red, white, and blue dog tag cord and plastic grey tag! That was sooo cool! How come there are no reproductions of that? It shows he’s on a team!
    3. Jumpsuit with white belt...again, he is kid friendly.
    4. “Ugly” head sculpt. Sorry...if you change this, you might as well just change the name. I think he was supposed to be Steve McQueen from his late 60s movies. I could be totally wrong about this, but Steve McQueen screamed “Action!”in the early 1970s...just a theory.
    5. The emblem! Red, white and blue, yeah!!

I wish Mego had made an “Action Jackson”club, similar to the GI Joe club and made some “field manuals”....I’m not complaining, he is great the way he is.

Here are some ideas for the future for AJ:

1. Bigger, new AJ footlocker
    2. Some 1/9scale RC vehicles for him to ride in
    3. Some retro AJ adventure manuals
    4. Some shoulder holsters for each AJ - it worked for the Adventure Team!

Just my thoughts...AJ will always be my favorite Mego. Captain America is 2nd, Batman is 3rd, Frankenstein is 4th. I had them all, lol! Thanks Mom and Dad, you were really nice!

6A99B83E-D65F-4D79-AD11-BE1680EBE832.jpg
    5458AC1B-0476-4902-AAF9-9B26A3580FB4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 7, '18 at 12:44 AM.
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    it is the 45th year of Action Jackson and I can, without a doubt, say 2016 will see some cool new Action Jackson figures. Keep your eyes peeled Castaway Fans! Do and Dare he's everywhere!
    This is COOL news Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ-Paratrooper View Post
    I have terrific memories of AJ! He just kind of came and went in the early ‘70s. I recall all those outfits and accessories. And the fact that he was really miniature compared to a big heavy GI Joe was cool.

His face...yes! Folks either love it or hate it. I love it. It’s more detailed than most sculpts. Compare it to say, a Captain America or Non-removable cowl Batman head, and AJ is very detailed.

Obviously, Mego was copying the GI Joe Adventure Team. AJ’s basic uniform is a variation of the “Air Adventurer” jumpsuit. Here’s what makes AJ AJ (for me -feel free to disagree):

1. White Boots -he is not a badass, assassin, or killer. He’s kid friendly! He might have been a soldier in the past and has a military background. He is a good guy ready to save somebody!
    2. Red, white, and blue dog tag cord and plastic grey tag! That was sooo cool! How come there are no reproductions of that? It shows he’s on a team!
    3. Jumpsuit with white belt...again, he is kid friendly.
    4. “Ugly” head sculpt. Sorry...if you change this, you might as well just change the name. I think he was supposed to be Steve McQueen from his late 60s movies. I could be totally wrong about this, but Steve McQueen screamed “Action!”in the early 1970s...just a theory.
    5. The emblem! Red, white and blue, yeah!!

I wish Mego had made an “Action Jackson”club, similar to the GI Joe club and made some “field manuals”....I’m not complaining, he is great the way he is.

Here are some ideas for the future for AJ:

1. Bigger, new AJ footlocker
    2. Some 1/9scale RC vehicles for him to ride in
    3. Some retro AJ adventure manuals
    4. Some shoulder holsters for each AJ - it worked for the Adventure Team!

Just my thoughts...AJ will always be my favorite Mego. Captain America is 2nd, Batman is 3rd, Frankenstein is 4th. I had them all, lol! Thanks Mom and Dad, you were really nice!

6A99B83E-D65F-4D79-AD11-BE1680EBE832.jpg
    5458AC1B-0476-4902-AAF9-9B26A3580FB4.jpg
    Great post. I've become a big fan of the whole AJ concept lately.

The TV, movie and superhero figures are all great, but they are defined characters. AJ is an everyman. That kid back in 1971 enjoying these action figures, for a few hours after school and every weekend, he becomes the mighty Action Jackson!

Images
    so I know Dave had posted that there was a delay late last year. any updates on when the product will be out?

Has anyone bought the repro AJ heads from CTVT? If so, any reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by robbo1970 View Post
    Has anyone bought the repro AJ heads from CTVT? If so, any reviews?
    Yes! Mine just arrived and they are beautiful! I think better than original. One caveat though...the bearded AJ is a shaved head sculpt with the beard painted on. The original bearded AJ had some detail under his beard so the bearded AJs aren’t perfect. It still looks good, however.

I also bought 5 CTVT bodies which I regret because they’re strung way too tight and won’t hold a pose. I am going to try to restring one or two of the really useless ones.

The new AJ heads are worthy of new type S bodies from the 8 inch superstore IMHO and I wish I’d gotten those instead. The CTVT AJ heads are awesome, though. I hope that helps.

I will take and post some photos sometime this week.
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ-Paratrooper View Post
    Yes! Mine just arrived and they are beautiful! I think better than original. One caveat though...the bearded AJ is a shaved head sculpt with the beard painted on. The original bearded AJ had some detail under his beard so the bearded AJs aren’t perfect. It still looks good, however.

I also bought 5 CTVT bodies which I regret because they’re strung way too tight and won’t hold a pose. I am going to try to restring one or two of the really useless ones.

The new AJ heads are worthy of new type S bodies from the 8 inch superstore IMHO and I wish I’d gotten those instead. The CTVT AJ heads are awesome, though. I hope that helps.

I will take and post some photos sometime this week.
    That's really good to hear.

On the website they looked pretty good, so it's good to know they do not disappoint. Yes, the original bearded did have some texture on it, but I was planning on getting some non-bearded anyway.

I noticed that CTVT have jumpsuits as well. I have to make an order of at least $40, plus $25 shipping from CTVT to the UK, so it looks like a could be getting a bumper load of heads and jumpsuits. But hey, it's only money

Thank you very much for your feedback, this is really appreciated.