X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by Type3Toys
    I always thought the original AJ head looked like an old man, still do.
    I think AJ looks like Liberace.
    Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Apr 13, '16, 9:59 PM.
    The hands that grip.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

It might just be my Eyes but I have noticed he can take on quite a few forms

Thurman Munson

Fran Tarkington

Lorn Green

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

And I have always thought that he could have had more outfits besides the 18 boxed and couple of extra variations on the card... They should have handled him more like GI Joe... I am currently trying to come up with as many outfits for him as I can to mimic the Gi Joe Line for those on Facebook you probably have seen my Outfit 100 AJ Project... for those who don't do social media I am going to put a thread in the My toy room space

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
          Museum Patron
          • Mar 1, 2008

Things that make AJ AJ

I have terrific memories of AJ! He just kind of came and went in the early ‘70s. I recall all those outfits and accessories. And the fact that he was really miniature compared to a big heavy GI Joe was cool.

His face...yes! Folks either love it or hate it. I love it. It’s more detailed than most sculpts. Compare it to say, a Captain America or Non-removable cowl Batman head, and AJ is very detailed.

Obviously, Mego was copying the GI Joe Adventure Team. AJ’s basic uniform is a variation of the “Air Adventurer” jumpsuit. Here’s what makes AJ AJ (for me -feel free to disagree):

1. White Boots -he is not a badass, assassin, or killer. He’s kid friendly! He might have been a soldier in the past and has a military background. He is a good guy ready to save somebody!
          2. Red, white, and blue dog tag cord and plastic grey tag! That was sooo cool! How come there are no reproductions of that? It shows he’s on a team!
          3. Jumpsuit with white belt...again, he is kid friendly.
          4. “Ugly” head sculpt. Sorry...if you change this, you might as well just change the name. I think he was supposed to be Steve McQueen from his late 60s movies. I could be totally wrong about this, but Steve McQueen screamed “Action!”in the early 1970s...just a theory.
          5. The emblem! Red, white and blue, yeah!!

I wish Mego had made an “Action Jackson”club, similar to the GI Joe club and made some “field manuals”....I’m not complaining, he is great the way he is.

Here are some ideas for the future for AJ:

1. Bigger, new AJ footlocker
          2. Some 1/9scale RC vehicles for him to ride in
          3. Some retro AJ adventure manuals
          4. Some shoulder holsters for each AJ - it worked for the Adventure Team!

Just my thoughts...AJ will always be my favorite Mego. Captain America is 2nd, Batman is 3rd, Frankenstein is 4th. I had them all, lol! Thanks Mom and Dad, you were really nice!

6A99B83E-D65F-4D79-AD11-BE1680EBE832.jpg
          5458AC1B-0476-4902-AAF9-9B26A3580FB4.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Feb 7, '18, 12:44 AM.
          DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by David Lee
            it is the 45th year of Action Jackson and I can, without a doubt, say 2016 will see some cool new Action Jackson figures. Keep your eyes peeled Castaway Fans! Do and Dare he's everywhere!
            This is COOL news Dave!
            sigpic

Comment

• robbo1970
              • Oct 2, 2010

Originally posted by AJ-Paratrooper
              I have terrific memories of AJ! He just kind of came and went in the early ‘70s. I recall all those outfits and accessories. And the fact that he was really miniature compared to a big heavy GI Joe was cool.

His face...yes! Folks either love it or hate it. I love it. It’s more detailed than most sculpts. Compare it to say, a Captain America or Non-removable cowl Batman head, and AJ is very detailed.

Obviously, Mego was copying the GI Joe Adventure Team. AJ’s basic uniform is a variation of the “Air Adventurer” jumpsuit. Here’s what makes AJ AJ (for me -feel free to disagree):

1. White Boots -he is not a badass, assassin, or killer. He’s kid friendly! He might have been a soldier in the past and has a military background. He is a good guy ready to save somebody!
              2. Red, white, and blue dog tag cord and plastic grey tag! That was sooo cool! How come there are no reproductions of that? It shows he’s on a team!
              3. Jumpsuit with white belt...again, he is kid friendly.
              4. “Ugly” head sculpt. Sorry...if you change this, you might as well just change the name. I think he was supposed to be Steve McQueen from his late 60s movies. I could be totally wrong about this, but Steve McQueen screamed “Action!”in the early 1970s...just a theory.
              5. The emblem! Red, white and blue, yeah!!

I wish Mego had made an “Action Jackson”club, similar to the GI Joe club and made some “field manuals”....I’m not complaining, he is great the way he is.

Here are some ideas for the future for AJ:

1. Bigger, new AJ footlocker
              2. Some 1/9scale RC vehicles for him to ride in
              3. Some retro AJ adventure manuals
              4. Some shoulder holsters for each AJ - it worked for the Adventure Team!

Just my thoughts...AJ will always be my favorite Mego. Captain America is 2nd, Batman is 3rd, Frankenstein is 4th. I had them all, lol! Thanks Mom and Dad, you were really nice!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22342[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]22344[/ATTACH]
              Great post. I've become a big fan of the whole AJ concept lately.

The TV, movie and superhero figures are all great, but they are defined characters. AJ is an everyman. That kid back in 1971 enjoying these action figures, for a few hours after school and every weekend, he becomes the mighty Action Jackson!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

so I know Dave had posted that there was a delay late last year. any updates on when the product will be out?

Comment

• robbo1970
                  • Oct 2, 2010

Has anyone bought the repro AJ heads from CTVT? If so, any reviews?

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by robbo1970
                    Has anyone bought the repro AJ heads from CTVT? If so, any reviews?
                    Yes! Mine just arrived and they are beautiful! I think better than original. One caveat though...the bearded AJ is a shaved head sculpt with the beard painted on. The original bearded AJ had some detail under his beard so the bearded AJs aren’t perfect. It still looks good, however.

I also bought 5 CTVT bodies which I regret because they’re strung way too tight and won’t hold a pose. I am going to try to restring one or two of the really useless ones.

The new AJ heads are worthy of new type S bodies from the 8 inch superstore IMHO and I wish I’d gotten those instead. The CTVT AJ heads are awesome, though. I hope that helps.

I will take and post some photos sometime this week.

Comment

• robbo1970
                      • Oct 2, 2010

Yes! Mine just arrived and they are beautiful! I think better than original. One caveat though...the bearded AJ is a shaved head sculpt with the beard painted on. The original bearded AJ had some detail under his beard so the bearded AJs aren’t perfect. It still looks good, however.

I also bought 5 CTVT bodies which I regret because they’re strung way too tight and won’t hold a pose. I am going to try to restring one or two of the really useless ones.

The new AJ heads are worthy of new type S bodies from the 8 inch superstore IMHO and I wish I’d gotten those instead. The CTVT AJ heads are awesome, though. I hope that helps.

I will take and post some photos sometime this week.
                      That's really good to hear.

On the website they looked pretty good, so it's good to know they do not disappoint. Yes, the original bearded did have some texture on it, but I was planning on getting some non-bearded anyway.

I noticed that CTVT have jumpsuits as well. I have to make an order of at least $40, plus $25 shipping from CTVT to the UK, so it looks like a could be getting a bumper load of heads and jumpsuits. But hey, it's only money

Thank you very much for your feedback, this is really appreciated.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

So did anything ever come of this? I think its now the 47th anniversary of AJ.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Riderfan
                          Megos are cool
                          • Feb 14, 2012

Sorry for just now posting this here. The Modern AJ that was set for this month is on a temporary pause. While I hope to see this release sooner rather than later, I'm kinda on someone else's time table... stay tuned....

Maybe the CTVT heads played a part in this? No idea, just speculation.

K
                          I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 1, 2008

Hey robo1970,

FYI: The AJ heads from CTVT are great but are going to be Hell trying to install them onto a CTVT body. If I were you, I’d just order a ton of the heads and get a Type S body or some other screw together body for an easy install.

Also, the white rubber CTVT AJ Boots kinda suck. They’re small and when you jam the feet into the boot, it looks sort of like he’s wearing socks.

Oh yeah, the light blue jumpsuit from CTVT is very close to AJs original jumpsuit. I tried a red one on a figure and the material is really accurate.

79E98109-F523-4BE5-B4FC-DF7D3E05C907.jpeg

Enjoy.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• robbo1970
                              • Oct 2, 2010

Hey robo1970,

FYI: The AJ heads from CTVT are great but are going to be Hell trying to install them onto a CTVT body. If I were you, I’d just order a ton of the heads and get a Type S body or some other screw together body for an easy install.

Also, the white rubber CTVT AJ Boots kinda suck. They’re small and when you jam the feet into the boot, it looks sort of like he’s wearing socks.

Oh yeah, the light blue jumpsuit from CTVT is very close to AJs original jumpsuit. I tried a red one on a figure and the material is really accurate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22391[/ATTACH]

Enjoy.
                              I tend to avoid the CTVT bodies. Never had a decent one. I usually use original type 2 bodies, but I do have a couple of type 0 and type S bodies.

Yeah, the CTVT white and black versions of the boots are very rubbery and don't hold their shape like the originals. I've managed to get a few original boots from boxed outfits, but only in the black. I think the white ones may only be with the ski patrol outfit.

That suit looks better than I thought it would actually. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and make a bulk order. I do also wonder if the fact that these heads and suits being readily available from CTVT has stalled the re-launch from CastAWay.

Comment

• David Lee
                                The Fix-it-up Chappie
                                • Jun 10, 2002

These did come out and SOLD out... I made arrangements with CTVT, well in advance (like a year) to use the head and combined them with the TYPE S body and superior jumpsuit. I sold them on Facebook, Ebay and the 8 inch Superstore as well as at the GI JOE convention in Orlando. I had all hair and beard colors and a special darker AA version that matched the Type S Body. They were sold carded... I also sold a modern version AJ that I sold at MEGO MEET and exclusively through Cotswalds Collectibles. I had pans to sell more, but got asked to shelve it in lieu of other agreements (though nothing has materialized yet).

Dave
                                Last edited by David Lee; Feb 14, '18, 4:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎