Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, I got some too. They are much larger than the old Castaway ones. Bummer.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Mego Milk
      Custom Mego Maker
      • Jun 3, 2007

they are Alfred large.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mego Milk
        they are Alfred large.
        Crap. The potential head for The Atom is oversized, that'd be ironic if it wasn't so irritating. What the heck is the problem with head scales at FTC!? We've been discussing this for three years!

I posted, trying to be positive and supportive, about Ra's al Ghul's scale, but obviously this issue is ongoing with no end in sight.

I call shenanigans. Or indifference. Both stink in a niche/boutique item.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I am really starting to get the feeling its indifference.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I think whoever signs off on heads likes them big.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

It weird how off they are a lot of times with these figures, Scarecrow's head is the right size, but the hat is too big. Probably made for the usual out of scale heads. BBP had the same problem and it more than likely killed BSG and 6MDM for them. FTC needs to watch these issues, especially with them now trying to squeeze the collectors with higher prices.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

I can't find the thread, but I would have sworn someone tried acetone on FTC heads and it didn't work well? I really had high hopes for these. My paint skills suck and these would have been a blessing. Can someone post some side-by-side pics?

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I don't think they care what we want as customers or collectors. They just want our money.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ I certainly don't feel that way, despite my concerns. I like many of their figures and custom offerings. FTC has done some marvelous things. I'm not even quibbling about $$.

But I guess every collector has an irritant. For me--and I think it's not just me, I must say--this head scale issue has been paramount. Several nice, and much-desired, figures have been "ruined" IMO by macrocephaly.

Hawkman has a largish, helmeted head. Can you imagine an FTC version with an even larger head and probably a removable mask?
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

the neck is really short too.

hurts.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                        I can't find the thread, but I would have sworn someone tried acetone on FTC heads and it didn't work well? I really had high hopes for these. My paint skills suck and these would have been a blessing. Can someone post some side-by-side pics?
                        I've shrunk an Al Bundy down to close to Mego size with acetone. Haven't tried a new head yet.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

Maybe the amount of shrinkage with the types of materials that are used for the heads is harder to properly predict than the vinyl used in the past. I try to not to be overly critical of the head sizes, but I would prefer if they were a little too small than oversized, as the oversized head looks more cartoonish and bobble-headed, I think a slightly undersized head would not be as noticeable, and all the the heads that don't shrink as much would be just right.

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

I agree that these head in particular would have been fine to be a little small as they should have been a good base to add masks, etc.
                            I'll try to take a side-by-side picture tonight.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

If something comes back from the factory defective, can't they refuse it?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                                Maybe the amount of shrinkage with the types of materials that are used for the heads is harder to properly predict than the vinyl used in the past. I try to not to be overly critical of the head sizes, but I would prefer if they were a little too small than oversized, as the oversized head looks more cartoonish and bobble-headed, I think a slightly undersized head would not be as noticeable, and all the the heads that don't shrink as much would be just right.
                                The thing is, Mego heads are in general, a smidge large: Spidey, Batman, Cap A., Klingon are standard for Mego. Supes, Robin, Aquaman--these are just a little smaller. They all look fine on a dressed figure.

When FTC recast vintage Mego heads, there was a slight shrinkage which pretty much put them in proper 1/9 scale and suited FTC's slightly smaller "8-inch" body.

But, FTC's original heads have run large, sometimes very large. This was true in their earlier lines like Lucy, Space: 1999, etc. too. These new heads, beside either vintage or recast Mego, look enormous and really destroy collector's hopes for a unified DC "Mego" universe.

FTC has changed their head casts from a squishy, almost silicone rubber to a much firmer one, but I don't know how this affects estimation of shrinkage. Crimson Ghost can advise the forum much better on that issue. FTC signs off on them, regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎