Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the real deal with the Trek aliens?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMalvolio
    • Sep 5, 2007

What is the real deal with the Trek aliens?

How did Gene Roddenberry or any exec from Star Trek sign off on these hideous inaccurate Alien figures. Especially after the excellent likenesses they did of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and the rest. It is as if they ran out of ideas and had to simply make something only going by the name and ZERO visual reference. I understand how they made the Gorn out of spare parts, but the Cheron figure, the Mugatu and the others are totally inaccurate and not even close, what were they thinking??? I am sure this has been answered 100 times before but I just felt like venting with the recent upcoming release of the new Cheron figure and why we still can't get a screen accurate version of him or them.

I mean, were the designers lazy? The Klingon and the Romulan were the closest but were still a tad off, uniform wise.
    Last edited by LordMalvolio; Jan 11, '16, 2:10 PM.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

It is rather odd considering the Andorian and Romulan were so accurate. That was just Mego...look at Thor vs. Captain America.

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

As a purely original alien, the Neptunian was pretty cool. The problem with many of the others was that they were so close, yet so far away from being an accurate representation of an actual alien. And we all wanted accurate aliens.

The Andorian was actually pretty cool too. Maybe not screen-accurate to any specific character, but wearing something that looks like something an Andorian might wear.

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

I think they didn't care much because their target was little children and not adult collectors. Kind of like background figures or mego's version of the red shirt guys.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hobub
          I think they didn't care much because their target was little children and not adult collectors..
          Bam! Winner. The whole concept was to make appealing, colourful action figures that appealed to children. Adult collectors just weren't a factor and we got that straight from the source, Neal Kublan.

Marty Abrams once said in an interview that if the Trek line had have continued another year, no new crew members would have been added, just aliens because they did sell well.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
            Bam! Winner. The whole concept was to make appealing, colourful action figures that appealed to children. Adult collectors just weren't a factor and we got that straight from the source, Neal Kublan.

Marty Abrams once said in an interview that if the Trek line had have continued another year, no new crew members would have been added, just aliens because they did sell well.
            I think that is the blessing and charm of the original Mego lines. Absolutely no one was thinking about a collector. That market was only in it's dream stage at this point. It was all about making low cost durable toys that would sell to kids. There wasn't a parent or teenager out there that wanted anything to do with a Mego when they were new. WE became those teenagers and adults that created the collector market long after Mego had closed it doors.

But you know, with all of that factored in, it still remains an oddity that Mego never continued lines that at least seem to sell well. The WGSH line seem to just end abruptly in terms of the eight inch offerings. I never did understand why that was. Mego seem to go from the trend setter to the follower once Star Wars hit the shelves. I often wonder if they would have survived a bit longer had they continued the eight inch format with superheroes. It's easy to think they could have looking back now, but the world was a different place back then. What was hot one year often became yesterday's news quickly. Look at Action Jackson. Massive for a year , then sputtered the next, then discontinued. I guess in retrospect, it took allot to keep our attention as kids. Everything around us was changing so fast and the toy companies had to change with them.

Comment

• daz71
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2014

it would have been nice if they had kept on making the 8 inch line.we only got about half the wgsh over here and none of the last set of star trek aliens or uhura.i wonder when they made gorn brown when they already had a green head from the lizard or did gorn come first.

Comment

• josephcardone
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 10, 2010

The toys most kids wanted in the late 1970's were Star Wars toys. If not for that I am certain most of the lines would have continued. At the time I wanted Star Wars too. I always felt like those little plastic 3 3/4 figures were really poor compared to the quality of our Mego's (even at 8 years old) though. Small/no clothes - but super packaging and great vehicles and play sets. Made you excited to get them. You had to in order to play with friends!!

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

Marty Abrams once said in an interview that if the Trek line had have continued another year, no new crew members would have been added, just aliens because they did sell well.[/QUOTE]

I still cant understand most board members who desire more crew from EMCE, I want funky clothed Aliens !!!!!!!!!!!, I still regard the salt vampire, as one of my favourite Remegos.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, as a kid I was happy enough with Kirk and Spock as far as crew members go, after that I only wanted aliens!

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

The aliens came and went so fast in my area that the only one I ever saw was Talos, he hung around my Eaton's for years. I used to stare at the back of the card at all the other characters I couldn't have.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I remember getting a Neptunian for Christmas and a couple years later I found a Keeper on clearance somewhere (I think K-mart in the US during a summer trip). Those are the only two I had as a kid, I desperately wanted a Gorn but could never find one.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

I remember seeing all the crew members, but as far as aliens, I only remember seeing, Cheron, Keeper,
                          Gorn and Neptunian, I don't recall ever seeing series (2) aliens, I had to substitute them with POTA which
                          was fun anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎