Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiderman67
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 28, 2010

Nothing against the monkees but as far as "paying their dues" they don't hold a candle to kiss. When the monkees can claim playing in a club circuit.practicing in a drafty loft in NYC and eventually playing 180 date world tours year after year (Gene setting hair on fire,Ace being electrocuted on stage)not to mention time to record two albums per year for awhile,then they would compare to kiss.If it wasn't for the monkees TV show,we probably wouldn't have ever heard of these guys.
    Take two mego's and call me in the morning.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Whether The Monkees could play or not(which the could)All of them could sing. Plus...Kiss sucks!
      sigpic

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
        Kiss vs Monkees ?

I'd give that one to the Monkees

Kiss is literally all show.

Monkees payed their dues and then some

Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've ever read on the Internet, and that's saying something!
        I like the Monkees myself, but they were a fabricated TV band, with 2 (somewhat competent) musicians and 2 actors, and worked from a script. Their music was all written for them in the beginning, and for the most part recorded by session musicians. Only later, after the success of their show gave them some clout, did they actually write and play their own material.
        Whether you love or hate Kiss, their music and gimmicks were all their own, and they didn't have anything handed to them.

Originally posted by The Bat
        Whether The Monkees could play or not(which the could)All of them could sing. Plus...Kiss sucks!

2nd-most ignorant statement!

Comment

• MegoMonk
          Career Member
          • Jan 22, 2007

Don't know how this thread turned into a Monkees vs. KISS thread. Let's get back to the thread. Does anyone know if the Davy figure is on a teen titans size body? Having Davy the same height as the other 3 really would not display that well.
          Its starting to look like the price point for much of the newer 8 inch figures FTC is coming out with is above the 24.99 of the earlier figures. I've gotten into a habit of waiting for various figures to go on sale at Entertainment Earth, price reductions on amazon, etc.

Comment

• longscarf72
            • Jul 20, 2011

Uh..yeah, as the person who originally posted about Kiss vs the Monkees in this thread...i was in no way intending to start a debate about the artistic merits of either band. I'm just stoked I can now make a cool diorama of Gene Simmons having a bass duel with Peter Tork!

Comment

• houseofdracula
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by warlock664
              Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've ever read on the Internet, and that's saying something!
              I like the Monkees myself, but they were a fabricated TV band, with 2 (somewhat competent) musicians and 2 actors, and worked from a script. Their music was all written for them in the beginning, and for the most part recorded by session musicians. Only later, after the success of their show gave them some clout, did they actually write and play their own material.
              Whether you love or hate Kiss, their music and gimmicks were all their own, and they didn't have anything handed to them.
              Well said!

By the way, I performed in a KISS Tribute Band in the early 1990's and for those of you who think it's easy, think again.
              The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
              https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

The monkees were a manufacturered group.but their were some really talented people behind them.boyce and hart.neil diamond Wes Ferrell .and many more.the group themselves were talanted.they had last train to Clarksville in 66.witch topped any Beatle song �� that year.and I am a believer in 1967 which also topped any Beatle song that year.not saying their better then the fan four.just that because they were a company produced group .doesn't mean the people were less talanted.why even the manufacturered group the archies had the song of the year with "suger suger".over the rolling stones that year in 69.the monkees were great.

Comment

• Toycade
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jul 8, 2014

The Monkees have:
                  1. Daydream Believer
                  2. Last Train to Clarksville
                  3. I'm a Believer
                  4. Pleasant Valley Sunday
                  5. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
                  6. She
                  7. Listen To The Band
                  8. A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
                  9. Words
                  10. That Was Then, This Is Now

Kiss has
                  1. Beth
                  But I digress...KISS will always look cooler and make for a neater action figure. Unless they ever decide to make them sans make-up then it's pretty much a toss-up. Take away their make-up and they are just...I'll stop.
                  Last edited by Toycade; Jan 11, '16, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

^^yes ,Kiss never had a NO.1 chart topper .Beth peaked at number 7 ,the year of its release .Kiss has the concerts,Costumes,And a lot of songs,but to date
                    not a no 1 hit ,the Monkees had three .interesting that a company that wanted to cash in on the Beatles craze ,could create this group called the monkees.
                    and make it successful that even today ,were getting Monkees action figures .again their not the fab four ,but they were fun.

Comment

• houseofdracula
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by Toycade
                      The Monkees have:
                      1. Daydream Believer
                      2. Last Train to Clarksville
                      3. I'm a Believer
                      4. Pleasant Valley Sunday
                      5. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
                      6. She
                      7. Listen To The Band
                      8. A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
                      9. Words
                      10. That Was Then, This Is Now

Kiss has
                      1. Beth
                      2. Rock and Roll all Nite
                      3. Hard Luck Woman
                      4. I was made for lovin' you
                      5. Calling Dr. Love
                      6. Detroit Rock City
                      7. Love Gun
                      8. Forever
                      9. Lick it up
                      10. New York Groove
                      12. I love it loud
                      13. Heaven's on Fire
                      14. Tears are falling
                      15. Shout it out Loud

By the way, I'm a huge fan of BOTH the Monkees and KISS but the truth is the truth.
                      Both of these bands have been picked on and put down for years.
                      KISS only got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014 and the Monkees still aren't in.
                      So, why don't we just stop this silliness?
                      Both bands are great in their own ways.
                      The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
                      https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• megomania
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by MegoMonk
                        Don't know how this thread turned into a Monkees vs. KISS thread. Let's get back to the thread. Does anyone know if the Davy figure is on a teen titans size body? Having Davy the same height as the other 3 really would not display that well. Its starting to look like the price point for much of the newer 8 inch figures FTC is coming out with is above the 24.99 of the earlier figures. I've gotten into a habit of waiting for various figures to go on sale at Entertainment Earth, price reductions on amazon, etc.

Well I think you could kinda say there are KISS fans who will or did buy FTC KISS figs that will never touch these Monkee figs...and vice versa.

So debating the merits of the two bands in this thread is fine with me.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I'd just like to know how FTC has a 20% inflation rate. They can't blame it on oil prices for sure.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

I've been hearing that overseas factories have been raising their prices recently. That may or may not have something to do with the rising prices.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by MegoMonk
                              Does anyone know if the Davy figure is on a teen titans size body? Having Davy the same height as the other 3 really would not display that well.
                              I'm with you that Davy *should* be on a shorter body, but I'm not counting on it if for no other reason than their outfits... By that I mean, yes Davy's "flashy tuxedo" jacket (and the others tuxes too) will be different, but with the buttoned red shirts and the Monkee-men outfits, they all look the same: Having two different outfits that look alike would be a cost saver for FTC and I can't see them wanting to have to get a smaller red shirt and a smaller Monkee-man outfit made specially for a smaller body when they could both be made for an 8" figure which would equate to a "one size fits all" outfit for any of the four...

Comment

• Spyweb007
                                Persistent Member
                                • Apr 18, 2006

A set of musical instruments for the Monkees and for the Kiss figures would be great. I know CTVT had generic guitars for sale on the site at one time, but a more accurate instrument set would make for a much better display, and Kiss needs even more specific looking instruments than the Monkees would. I wonder if there is ay chance of a music accessory set from them?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎