Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Did you know that Gene Roddenberry introduced the Mr. Chekov character in response to the popularity of
    Davy Jones complete with hairstyle and appearance?

If you Wikipedia the Monkees, there's a lot of interesting info about the group, tv show, music, and individual
    profiles.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

also the recently departed Bowie was originally a jones.im a big fan of KISS as well as the monkees but the two bands are so vastly different comparing one over the other is moot.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Yep, knew that about Chekov and Bowie. Just look at Chekov's first few episodes. He has a HORRIBLE "Davy Jones" wig before his real hair grew out.

Bowie chose his last name since there was already a David Jones in the music industry...obviously!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Spyweb007
          A set of musical instruments for the Monkees and for the Kiss figures would be great. I know CTVT had generic guitars for sale on the site at one time, but a more accurate instrument set would make for a much better display, and Kiss needs even more specific looking instruments than the Monkees would. I wonder if there is ay chance of a music accessory set from them?
          For The Monkees, it would be cool if there was a blonde Gretsch 12 string for Mike and a red bass for Peter... A complete drum set for Micky would be cool too, but I can't see anyone making something like that-Micky'd probably have to settle for a little snare drum with a shoulder strap so he could play it while wearing it...

Comment

• Riderfan
            Megos are cool
            • Feb 14, 2012

Huh, comparing the Monkees to KISS, really?

My favorite bands (and not ashamed to admit this) are Hall & Oates and Alice Cooper. There is no comparison there!

But more to the point, while I do like KISS I never really understood the allure of these figures, & I really don't understand the allure of the Monkees. To me, MEGO is (mostly) about super heroes & Apes & Star Trek.

But that's just my opinion, and I don't to start another debate-its a big hobby with room for lots of people.

However I will chime in on this-

Best Monkees song-Daydream Believer

Best KISS song-Ace Frehley's New York Groove

K
            I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• megomania
              Persistent Member
              • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by Riderfan
              Huh, comparing the Monkees to KISS, really? My favorite bands (and not ashamed to admit this) are Hall & Oates and Alice Cooper. There is no comparison there! But more to the point, while I do like KISS I never really understood the allure of these figures, & I really don't understand the allure of the Monkees. To me, MEGO is (mostly) about super heroes & Apes & Star Trek. But that's just my opinion, and I don't to start another debate-its a big hobby with room for lots of people. However I will chime in on this- Best Monkees song-Daydream Believer Best KISS song-Ace Frehley's New York Groove K
              Well, Mego made KISS figures...and a lot of us had them as kids...so that's kinda the allure. For me at least.

Comment

• Riderfan
                Megos are cool
                • Feb 14, 2012

Originally posted by megomania
                Well, Mego made KISS figures...and a lot of us had them as kids...so that's kinda the allure. For me at least.
                Yes, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. All I was saying is the KISS figures don't appeal to me, and the Monkees even less-but that's just my opinion, to each their own. Like I said, its a big hobby.

The purpose of my post was to point out trying to compare the Monkees to KISS doesn't make sense because the music is so different.

But the original purpose of this thread was to discuss the new FTC Monkees, which is now way off topic so I'm gonna bail.

K
                I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• stevenlore
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Oct 4, 2009

I really want the 12" set. I have a nice red bass for Peter all ready for him.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Wool hat

Attached Files
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

dam $30 each?
                      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mego Milk
                        Custom Mego Maker
                        • Jun 3, 2007

Aw Yeah Wool Hat!

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Riderfan
                          Huh, comparing the Monkees to KISS, really?

My favorite bands (and not ashamed to admit this) are Hall & Oates and Alice Cooper. There is no comparison there!

But more to the point, while I do like KISS I never really understood the allure of these figures, & I really don't understand the allure of the Monkees. To me, MEGO is (mostly) about super heroes & Apes & Star Trek.

But that's just my opinion, and I don't to start another debate-its a big hobby with room for lots of people.

However I will chime in on this-

Best Monkees song-Daydream Believer

Best KISS song-Ace Frehley's New York Groove

K

Kiss? Monkees? neither of them can hold a candle to Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones, how about FTC making
                          figures of those guys?

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                            Kiss? Monkees? neither of them can hold a candle to Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones, how about FTC making
                            figures of those guys?

Certainly both are better bands than either Kiss or the Monkees, though I enjoy all 4. But royalty cost aside, Kiss and the Monkees are more pop culture, with a goofy quality boarding on parody. That makes them a good fit for the format.

So while I'd rather have the Monkees on the shelf next to oven mitt Batman, I'd rather have 'Black Dog' playing on the stereo. From a vinyl record.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2011

I'd still actually like a series of Elvis figures. Elvis is almost a cult at this point.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• TrekStar
                                Trek or Treat
                                • Jan 20, 2011

Watching back to back Monkees episodes today and the episode with Burgess Penguin cameo was featured,
                                funny to see that, waiting for Batman to arrive to apprehend the fowl bird, the episode song was "Valerie"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎