X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Dark Shadows celebrates 50 years in 2016

Not seeing allot of announcements right now. I know there is a plan to have a convention celebrating this milestone at some point this year and a new CD drama is coming out in June. See link below. Is anyone aware of anything else happening or any special merchandise coming out? Just recently landed me the Spectre toys Barnabas figure that had eluded me for a long time, so I got that checked off my list.

Award-winning, full-cast original audio dramas from the worlds of Doctor Who, Torchwood, Blake's 7, Class, Dark Shadows, The Avengers, Survivors, The Omega Factor, Star Cops, Sherlock Holmes, Dorian Gray, Pathfinder Legends, The Prisoner, Adam Adamant Lives, Space 1999, Timeslip, Terrahawks, Space Precinct, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Robin Hood, Dark Season, UFO, Stargate
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Wow? Fifty years already? Man, time does fly. That puts it only a couple of years behind Doctor Who as far as anniversaries and both shows are, more or less, cult classics (although The Doctor has become a little less culty of late). I just watched the Johnny Depp movie reboot over the weekend and I had forgotten how good it was. Perhaps it's time for one of the networks (like the CW, since they seem to be a magnet for all things supernatural) or one of the cable or streaming channels to look into a reboot of the series. I think they would likely find the ground fertile for it provided they approached it in a way that was updated, yet remained true to the essence of DARK SHADOWS. After all, it seems that LOST IN SPACE is getting a reboot courtesy of Netflix, so why not DS? Everything old is new again....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Type3Toys
      Home Of The Type3 Body
      • Jan 18, 2005

Went to the link. Is this a new 2 hr version of the show with new actors or more like a docu-drama?

Originally posted by MIB41
      Not seeing allot of announcements right now. I know there is a plan to have a convention celebrating this milestone at some point this year and a new CD drama is coming out in June. See link below. Is anyone aware of anything else happening or any special merchandise coming out? Just recently landed me the Spectre toys Barnabas figure that had eluded me for a long time, so I got that checked off my list.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v...y-special-1432
      LOOK
      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
      To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Type3Toys
        Went to the link. Is this a new 2 hr version of the show with new actors or more like a docu-drama?
        My understanding is this is a new story from the show with surviving actors playing their parts. I've collected some they have done in the past and they are quite good. Jonathan Frid actually played Barnabas in one entitled 'Night Whispers" in 2010. I'm looking forward to this one.

Comment

• Type3Toys
          Home Of The Type3 Body
          • Jan 18, 2005

My understanding is this is a new story from the show with surviving actors playing their parts. I've collected some they have done in the past and they are quite good. Jonathan Frid actually played Barnabas in one entitled 'Night Whispers" in 2010. I'm looking forward to this one.
          Interesting. I couple years ago I managed to get Lara Parker to sign my Angelique figure!
          LOOK

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Interesting. I couple years ago I managed to get Lara Parker to sign my Angelique figure!
            That's awesome!!! That particular figure has been interesting in the market lately. She use to be so common you could get her below retail. Now she goes for three or four times her shelf price. It's too bad Spectre Toys/EMCE couldn't continue that line. Their prototypes for Series Two were exceptional.

Comment

• Type3Toys
              Home Of The Type3 Body
              • Jan 18, 2005

That's awesome!!! That particular figure has been interesting in the market lately. She use to be so common you could get her below retail. Now she goes for three or four times her shelf price. It's too bad Spectre Toys/EMCE couldn't continue that line. Their prototypes for Series Two were exceptional.
              Yes they were! I have been trying to get Distinctive Dummies to start a DS line for a while. I have all 3 Spector Releases, in doubles.
              LOOK

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

Haven't heard much of anything coming up, aside from the annual/semi-annual convention (which generally alternates East/West Coast).

The Big Finish Audios are fun, but as far as any other upcoming merchandise this year...I've heard not a peep.

Have been holding out hope that someone (Hello FTC!) would eventually pick up where Spectre left off. From the original wave, I pre-ordered a single set from Entertainment Earth and received them within days of their release in perfect condition. I decided to keep those as my MIP set and was hoping to run into some additional figures "out in the wild" for the sheer thrill of picking up a set or two right off the shelf (a dream since the early 70's).

When Spectre & EMCE were working together in an attempt to get the second wave out (along with the Barnabas reissues), I came across a handful of first issue figures at a local novelty shop. They had two Angeliques, two Chris Jennings, and a single Barnabas. I picked up Angie & Chris, but left Barny for somebody who hadn't had the chance to pick him up yet. I figured I'd just order a couple when S & E got them out to distributors. Sigh! (At least I was smart enough to pick up two each of the Majestic 12" releases when they were initially released in 2005).

Similar disappointment with the "official" metal cane replicas which never became a reality. I did, however, find some non-official reissues about a year and a half ago, available in chrome & brass finishes and picked up one of each. While not anywhere near the quality of my original Harvy 117 that I bought back in the mid-90's, they're solid enough for display while I keep the Harvy safely stored until I'm ready to actually use it.

What I would like to see this year: Official (metal) cane replicas, a continuation of the 8" cloth figures, a continuation of the 12" cloth figures, an official line of full-sized portrait replicas (paintings would be great, however canvas prints would be OK with me too), a hardback coffee table type of book, some game & card reissues, and pleasant surprises are always welcomed to.

That said, modern DS licensing has taught me that it's OK to dream a little, however, it's best to just keep those dreams tightly reigned in.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                  Career Member
                  • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  Wow? Fifty years already? Man, time does fly. That puts it only a couple of years behind Doctor Who as far as anniversaries and both shows are, more or less, cult classics (although The Doctor has become a little less culty of late). I just watched the Johnny Depp movie reboot over the weekend and I had forgotten how good it was. Perhaps it's time for one of the networks (like the CW, since they seem to be a magnet for all things supernatural) or one of the cable or streaming channels to look into a reboot of the series. I think they would likely find the ground fertile for it provided they approached it in a way that was updated, yet remained true to the essence of DARK SHADOWS. After all, it seems that LOST IN SPACE is getting a reboot courtesy of Netflix, so why not DS? Everything old is new again....
                  There was almost a third series according to Wiki:

2004 (The WB)
                  Main article: Dark Shadows (2004 TV pilot)

Plans for another revival series (or film) have been discussed off and on since the 1991 series' demise, including a TV miniseries to wrap up the plotlines of the canceled NBC series and a feature film, co-written by Dan Curtis and Barbara Steele, utilizing the 1991 cast. In 2004, a pilot for a new WB network Dark Shadows series, starring Marley Shelton as Victoria Winters and Alec Newman as Barnabas Collins, was written and shot, but never picked up. The pilot has been screened at the Dark Shadows Festival conventions with Dan Curtis Productions' blessing, but has yet to surface elsewhere. This pilot was produced by Warner Bros. Television.[28]

You can read a review of the unfinished pilot here.
                  Last edited by ShadowAvenger; Jan 11, '16, 9:44 PM.
                  Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                    Creature Of The Night
                    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by ShadowAvenger
                    There was almost a third series according to Wiki:

2004 (The WB)
                    Main article: Dark Shadows (2004 TV pilot)

Plans for another revival series (or film) have been discussed off and on since the 1991 series' demise, including a TV miniseries to wrap up the plotlines of the canceled NBC series and a feature film, co-written by Dan Curtis and Barbara Steele, utilizing the 1991 cast. In 2004, a pilot for a new WB network Dark Shadows series, starring Marley Shelton as Victoria Winters and Alec Newman as Barnabas Collins, was written and shot, but never picked up. The pilot has been screened at the Dark Shadows Festival conventions with Dan Curtis Productions' blessing, but has yet to surface elsewhere. This pilot was produced by Warner Bros. Television.[28]

You can read a review of the unfinished pilot here.
                    Yep...three perfect examples from a long list of disappointing cancellations within the realm of Dark Shadows. Still holding out hope that someday soon a series will be greenlit on a network willing to give it the respect it deserves (CW, AMC, FX, Showtime, HBO, etc.)....something on the budget scale of Penny Dreadful would make me extremely happy.
                    Last edited by Dark Shadow; Jan 11, '16, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                      Haven't heard much of anything coming up, aside from the annual/semi-annual convention (which generally alternates East/West Coast).

The Big Finish Audios are fun, but as far as any other upcoming merchandise this year...I've heard not a peep.

Have been holding out hope that someone (Hello FTC!) would eventually pick up where Spectre left off. From the original wave, I pre-ordered a single set from Entertainment Earth and received them within days of their release in perfect condition. I decided to keep those as my MIP set and was hoping to run into some additional figures "out in the wild" for the sheer thrill of picking up a set or two right off the shelf (a dream since the early 70's).

When Spectre & EMCE were working together in an attempt to get the second wave out (along with the Barnabas reissues), I came across a handful of first issue figures at a local novelty shop. They had two Angeliques, two Chris Jennings, and a single Barnabas. I picked up Angie & Chris, but left Barny for somebody who hadn't had the chance to pick him up yet. I figured I'd just order a couple when S & E got them out to distributors. Sigh! (At least I was smart enough to pick up two each of the Majestic 12" releases when they were initially released in 2005).

Similar disappointment with the "official" metal cane replicas which never became a reality. I did, however, find some non-official reissues about a year and a half ago, available in chrome & brass finishes and picked up one of each. While not anywhere near the quality of my original Harvy 117 that I bought back in the mid-90's, they're solid enough for display while I keep the Harvy safely stored until I'm ready to actually use it.

What I would like to see this year: Official (metal) cane replicas, a continuation of the 8" cloth figures, a continuation of the 12" cloth figures, an official line of full-sized portrait replicas (paintings would be great, however canvas prints would be OK with me too), a hardback coffee table type of book, some game & card reissues, and pleasant surprises are always welcomed to.

That said, modern DS licensing has taught me that it's OK to dream a little, however, it's best to just keep those dreams tightly reigned in.
                      I didn't get to that initial series by Spectre Toys until Barnabas had sold out, so I was one of the folks left hanging when they cancelled the second series and second run of Barnabas. I finally grabbed one about six weeks ago for a price that was descent, so my search is over on that front. I've also got the modern 12 inch Barnabas by Majestic. LOVE that figure. Is it me or does it look like they took the teeth wielding head from that line and shrunk it down for the Spectre Toys version? I know the same people behind Majestic teamed up with Doc to do the Spectre line.

I too am not encouraged regarding any new product for the 50th. I threw out an inquiry about six months ago without so much as a nibble from anyone. I would think if there was anything coming (especially figures), it would have gotten promotional attention at this stage. I imagine the glut of Mego-style figures in the market probably discouraged the most diehard entrepreneur to make them. It's too bad (but understandable). Would have really liked to have seen that second series hit the streets. Great head sculpts on all of them. The set seems incomplete without them. Maybe a trial run with one of them as a Mego meet Exclusive? Trying to brain storm ideas. Those definitely deserve to be made.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                        Home Of The Type3 Body
                        • Jan 18, 2005

I didn't get to that initial series by Spectre Toys until Barnabas had sold out, so I was one of the folks left hanging when they cancelled the second series and second run of Barnabas. I finally grabbed one about six weeks ago for a price that was descent, so my search is over on that front. I've also got the modern 12 inch Barnabas by Majestic. LOVE that figure. Is it me or does it look like they took the teeth wielding head from that line and shrunk it down for the Spectre Toys version? I know the same people behind Majestic teamed up with Doc to do the Spectre line.

I too am not encouraged regarding any new product for the 50th. I threw out an inquiry about six months ago without so much as a nibble from anyone. I would think if there was anything coming (especially figures), it would have gotten promotional attention at this stage. I imagine the glut of Mego-style figures in the market probably discouraged the most diehard entrepreneur to make them. It's too bad (but understandable). Would have really liked to have seen that second series hit the streets. Great head sculpts on all of them. The set seems incomplete without them. Maybe a trial run with one of them as a Mego meet Exclusive? Trying to brain storm ideas. Those definitely deserve to be made.
                        I would have been all over wave 2. I think re-releasing Barnabas would have actually helped wave 2 sell. Who would want wave 2 without Barnabas?
                        LOOK

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Congrats on completing your Spectre wave. Yeah, I think the 12" head was used for the 8" figure too; if not, they're very very close. The Majestic figures are among my top favorites from my personal 12 inch figure collection. They may not be as perfectly detailed as some of my favorite Hot Toys, but they're just completely awesome, especially considering the original price point of $29.99 each.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

I would have been all over wave 2. I think re-releasing Barnabas would have actually helped wave 2 sell. Who would want wave 2 without Barnabas?
                            They were definitely planning to re-release Barnabas along with wave 2 since he had completely sold out so quickly and was considered essential for the line. I still have hope that we will someday see wave 2 produced.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎