Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Butch and Sundance weren't completely in a vacuum though, Mattel had just launched "How the West was Won", Empire was selling "Legends of the West" and Gabriel was still pumping out Lone Ranger. So while it looks weird to us now, Cowboys weren't that big a gamble in the late 70s.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Mars Attacks

Loved the movie and I still can't understand why it wasn't more popular.

Remember seeing the figures gathering dust years after their release.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey
        Mars Attacks

it's got a huge following
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
          Butch and Sundance weren't completely in a vacuum though, Mattel had just launched "How the West was Won", Empire was selling "Legends of the West" and Gabriel was still pumping out Lone Ranger. So while it looks weird to us now, Cowboys weren't that big a gamble in the late 70s.
          It wasn't as big a gamble then as it would be now, and western toys continued to sell far better in Europe long after that allure died in the US, but Empire was always a small distribution (though I loved then and still love that line), and if you read movie trade mags from the time, there wasn't an expectation for Butch & Sundance to be that big of a hit--there was a feeling already that the western was gasping some last breaths.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Falstaff13
            It wasn't as big a gamble then as it would be now, and western toys continued to sell far better in Europe long after that allure died in the US, but Empire was always a small distribution (though I loved then and still love that line), and if you read movie trade mags from the time, there wasn't an expectation for Butch & Sundance to be that big of a hit--there was a feeling already that the western was gasping some last breaths.
            Oh I'm sure it was, I don't know much about the film but all I was saying was in the 1970s, there were at least 2-3 Western themed toy lines every year. Even though the film may have been a clunker, Kenner even pitched it the next year as "The Real West". So Cowboys weren't entirely dead as they are now.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• acrovader
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
              Mars Attacks

I know that I pretty much hated it.
              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• starsky
                veteran member
                • Aug 26, 2007

also i remember the lost in space movie figures and wild wild west movie figures sitting on pegs collecting dust as well!

Comment

• Boshek
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 26, 2011

I loved the Robin Hood line. I remember seeing the figures for the first time at KB toys right before my mother and I went to see the movie.

Nearly all of the figures were remakes of the Superpowers line; Robin Hood was Green Arrow, Will Scarlett was Robin, The Sheriff was Lex Luthor, Little John was Hawkman. The only figure I never had was Friar Tuck, I got him much later at a toy show; he had a Gamorrean guard body from Star Wars.

It's amazing how well the figures came out: Robin Hood had his fingers ready to draw a bow and Friar Tuck was wearing sandals!
                  Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• MysteryWho
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2008

I've found myself really admiring the Robin Hood line, although I've never seen the film. They just seem like they would have made really cool generic figures back in the day, they have a real fantasy appeal. Perhaps it's my having not seen the film that gives me this perspective, but there is something really cool about them and I know I could have used them in amongst my other Kenner figures and Joes as some sort of sword and sorcery characters.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎