X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Tigger
    It's nice that you added two Captain Action variants to the All In pledge level, but I'm a bit baffled by the decision. What you need is a higher ticket pledge level so that the hardcore collectors will raise the amount they're pledging which will drive up the overall amount raised. Now there are two pledge levels with the exact same dollar amount and $100 is still the highest pledge level.

On Fwoosh, people were saying they wanted an army builder of some kind so that backers have an incentive to buy multiples of a specific figure. As others have said, the foundation of these Kickstarters is getting a chunk of collectors to back at the highest reward level in order to drive that total amount raised higher. With the current highest reward level at $100, that isn't happening. I know you said no army builder was planned but that's almost necessary for an action figure Kickstarter to be successful due to the funding goals necessary to cover the high cost of tooling. Furthermore, now that there are no stretch goals, what is there to persuade people to raise their pledge levels above what they already are? I definitely think having appealing stretch goals dangling in front of the backers' faces constantly pushes them to add more to their pledges.

My two cents on the names and such is that it's confusing and misleading. Action Jackson, for instance, is part of the Adventure People line, in the Comic Action Heroes series, and made by the REMCO Toys division of ZICA Toys. It's just a mouthful. And I don't see how the Adventure People/Remco names really make sense.

Going by the Kicktraq, the campaign is looking to top out around $20,000-25,000. I think with some smart additions, a higher pledge level, and a huge push throughout the remainder of the campaign, the trend can be changed!
    The factory helped me out by letting me get more bang for my buck and I'm passing that on to the customers, simple as that. Those Captain Action color variants aren't going to add to my cost based on how things were originally planned, because I'm now able to cut my MOQ by half. If it's going to take a small group of hardcore collectors to get this funded that's actually not a good thing. I need a large group comprised of casual and hardcore collectors to make this project, or any future ones, possible. In other words, there has to be a large enough market to make projects like this viable and profitable. There are two pledge levels with the same dollar amount because Kickstarter wouldn't allow me to change the original one.

As for the army builder issue, I agree that it would help improve the odds of funding but if I can't rely on the core characters to get this funded then what's the point. In other words, if there aren't enough fans of Captain Action, Captain Evil, Action Jackson, and Jet Jungle, that as a group total up to around 400 people to make this happen, that pretty much tells me there's no real interest in the characters. If that's the case, I'll move on and try something else.

Regarding the use of multiple brand names, it's basically like this. Using Funko POPS as an example, that brand has several characters based on different themes under it. Some I believe are original IPs and others are licensed properties. All of them have the same aesthetics and all are under the same brand, POPS. You have Batman mixed in with Star Wars, which are completely unrelated yet they're both part of the POPS line. The Adventure People brand is my company's version of POPS. Within that brand I plan to have different series. POPS has too many to list. Starting off I've got two, Captain Action and Comic Action Heroes. The REMCO brand will be used for the Adventure People and any similar product lines that involve licensed and original IP properties. The ZICA brand will primarily be used for product aimed at the customizer market, such as bodies, clothing and accessories.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by ZICA
      I've managed to work out better MOQ terms with the factory so now the original 4 figure set has been turned into a 6 figure set by adding on the Captain Action color variants. These were originally only going to be available if a stretch goal was met. Over on The Fwoosh forums they're saying the opposite in terms of character choices. They want to see army builders which are essentially multiple versions of the same figure. I guess this goes to show you can't please everybody.

Bringing back the REMCO and Adventure People names is my way of adding in a nostalgia factor to the mix, and it helps draw attention to the project. I've only seen a handful of complaints concerning any type of confusion that using the brand names has caused. Also, nobody pronounces "ZICA" correctly so at least I won't have to worry about this with the REMCO name.

Replacing the KOD figure would require more sculpting, which is another expense. The helmet was designed specifically for that character, and I'm sure at this point that trying to find a loophole to use it would still draw the attention of the license holder and their attorney. Right now I'm still on good terms with them so there's still a chance the figure could get made at some point. I'd rather not do something risky and ruin that possibility.
      I dig the 6 figure "All in". And while I have been critical of some things and I still don't entirely agree with all the decisions made here, I really do appreciate your willingness to respond and listen without losing your cool. ZICA makes great products (I've got a ton of your stuff) so I definitely want this to succeed. There just wasn't enough to push me into that zone before, but the addition of the two color variants (while not necessarily appeasing every critique I had) did enough to solidly get me on board.

Good luck!

Comment

• Tigger
        • Jul 15, 2014

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        I really do appreciate your willingness to respond and listen without losing your cool. ZICA makes great products (I've got a ton of your stuff) so I definitely want this to succeed.
        This! And another suggestion since nobody reads these days. Perhaps an image showing all 6 figures/renders (against a white background) that make up the Super All In level cam be shown with the price and posted on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter. It may catch the attention of people scrolling through their social media feeds and if they share it, more people can become aware of the deal and this campaign.

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

just pledgedgood luck!

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by powersthatbe
            just pledgedgood luck!
            Awesome, thanks!

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2007

I'm not a huge fan of these characters, or the size. Im pretty much an 8 inch guy, but I believe in ZICA, so Im in. Good luck. We have to support each other and ZICA has only put quality figures out there.

Comment

• ZICA
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
                I'm not a huge fan of these characters, or the size. Im pretty much an 8 inch guy, but I believe in ZICA, so Im in. Good luck. We have to support each other and ZICA has only put quality figures out there.
                Thanks for the compliment and your support, both are greatly appreciated!

Comment

• the_Archivist
                  • Jul 29, 2014

Originally posted by ZICA
                  Also, nobody pronounces "ZICA" correctly so at least I won't have to worry about this with the REMCO name.
                  So how do you pronounce ZICA? I always thought it was "zEE Kah" Is that not correct?

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by the_Archivist
                    So how do you pronounce ZICA? I always thought it was "zEE Kah" Is that not correct?
                    With this Zika virus all over the news, I could see where the Remco name might have less baggage.

Comment

• ZICA
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by the_Archivist
                      The "I" has the long vowel sound.

Comment

• ZICA
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 7, 2006

Captain Evil's Henchman Figure!

I've had a lot of people asking that an army builder figure be added to the Kickstarter so here's what I came up with, Captain Evil's Henchman

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 14, 2012

The symbol on the Henchman's belt looks like it is patterned after Dr. Evil's medallion. That's a nice touch.

Comment

• ZICA
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Joshua the Atomic Robot
                            The symbol on the Henchman's belt looks like it is patterned after Dr. Evil's medallion. That's a nice touch.
                            It is, good eye

I wanted the figure to have a mix of both the Captain Evil and Dr. Evil characters.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Just got the (temporary) cancellation notice from Kickstarter. Congrats on the better factory deal!

I didn't want to say it, but it had become a real mess with the Rewards I was hoping that you would blow it up and redo it. Looking forward to the reorg'ed Kickstarter.

Comment

• ZICA
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by TRDouble
                                Just got the (temporary) cancellation notice from Kickstarter. Congrats on the better factory deal!

I didn't want to say it, but it had become a real mess with the Rewards I was hoping that you would blow it up and redo it. Looking forward to the reorg'ed Kickstarter.
                                Yeah, not only is this an opportunity to streamline the rewards but the lower funding goal is going to make getting this project successfully funded much more attainable.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎