X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Thor Review... The Good and Bad

Ok here's my Honest review the good and the Bad... The set looks good. Head sculpts outfits outstanding as usual, I like all the components. The retro Thor looks good but I never open the Retro ones so whatever I see is through the package and I like what I see.
    I know People Grumbled about Dr Donald Blake but I like him, the only part of his Accessories I have no use for is his Surgical cap that's why I left it tucked in his Jacket. The Modern Thor, like the sculpt love the outfit and Accessories, HATE HIS MOLDED HAIR. But only because it keeps it from staying on a body properly... The problem is the neck plug is just a bit short. The Modern Thor will not work on a Type S body without some Difficulty the head stays well on the type s but the outfit is too small for it. I had to use a Type 1 Mego body with no hands, luckily I had 1, but the problem with that is the molded hair keeps the head popping off the body just a tad and keeps you from snapping the suit in the back. But all in all not a bad set if you can get it for $69 or less.

• Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Great pics! And thanks for a thorough and honest review. I enjoyed reading it. Yeah on the modern Thor it looks like they took a page from Captain Action and went that direction with his hair. His outfit looks very cool though. Like that pattern on his belt. On the retro figure, I was hoping they would put that body curl in his hair so it didn't have that Famous Covers look. They also got a little too close with the pupils of the eyes again. Not crossed but close. The outfit, hammer, and boots look like they were done really well. Donald Blake turned out really good too. I like the outfit and the detail on the stick. Somewhat concerning that some of the outfits are getting produced too small to fit bodies. My Parker pants wouldn't even fit on a FTC body which is smaller scale than the rest, so some QC needs to be addressed here on the primary pieces since they are not replacing defective parts. That and they need to go back to the semi-gloss finish on the boxes like they did with Spider-man. Not a fan of the matte finish. Thanks again for the pics and review. Great job!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

The new Thor head looks gigantic in the pictures! I hope it's an optical illusion from the angle of the camera lens.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Does it really say 235 of 3200 on your box? So not limited to 3000?

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Blake looks the best of the three. I like the material on the modern, but was never a fan of the color design. This would be a real Fraknen-Custom for me.

Does the hammer have the inscription?

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              The new Thor head looks gigantic in the pictures! I hope it's an optical illusion from the angle of the camera lens.
              It might look a little big because I had to use an original Mego type 1 body, I got the same impression when I had to switch it off the type s body myself, but he does Display well IMO

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              Does it really say 235 of 3200 on your box? So not limited to 3000?
              You are correct it says 3200

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                Permanent Member
                • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                Blake looks the best of the three. I like the material on the modern, but was never a fan of the color design. This would be a real Fraknen-Custom for me.

Does the hammer have the inscription?
                I'll check again but I saw no inscription on the Hammer.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
                  Great pics! And thanks for a thorough and honest review. I enjoyed reading it. Yeah on the modern Thor it looks like they took a page from Captain Action and went that direction with his hair. His outfit looks very cool though. Like that pattern on his belt. On the retro figure, I was hoping they would put that body curl in his hair so it didn't have that Famous Covers look. They also got a little too close with the pupils of the eyes again. Not crossed but close. The outfit, hammer, and boots look like they were done really well. Donald Blake turned out really good too. I like the outfit and the detail on the stick. Somewhat concerning that some of the outfits are getting produced too small to fit bodies. My Parker pants wouldn't even fit on a FTC body which is smaller scale than the rest, so some QC needs to be addressed here on the primary pieces since they are not replacing defective parts. That and they need to go back to the semi-gloss finish on the boxes like they did with Spider-man. Not a fan of the matte finish. Thanks again for the pics and review. Great job!
                  The problem is a lot of us prefer the bigger bulkier type s bodies when putting the extra sets together and these outfits were made with type 2 bodies and doc Mego bodies in mind... The same reason FTC body suits do not fit the type s bodies well because they were made with FTC bodies in mind... It would have worked on a type s body had I been able to figure out how to manipulate his hair. I'm going to revisit it I haven't given up yet lol

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

Here is mine on muscle arms and legs S-type with a bit of upgrade/customization

100_7419.jpg100_7420.jpg100_7421.jpg100_7426.jpg

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Looks really nice! Swapping Hammers worked really good here too. Love the box. Great job!!

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Newer Thor looks cool, but the head sculpt looks like a California Raisin. Everything else looks pretty bad IMO.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 27, 2010

no black stripes on the retro whistbands?

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                            Time to feed the cat
                            • Dec 30, 2007

Great pics , thanks for the info , details , and review .

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Helpful pix, thanks--we need more of that here IMO.

Has Emce changed the knit fabric on the repro suit--it appears better to me for some reason.

What were the complaints with Blake's sculpt--it looks good to me, could be Johnny Storm, too, with the wavy front.

(It's not easy to depict Rogers, Blake, Storm, and Pym as individuals.)
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 1, '16, 7:01 PM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎