Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

I never had all of the original Mego Marvel figures as a kid in the 70s Marvel did not have as much TV and movies exposure as DC then. I only had Spidey, Cap, Hulk and Mr Fantastic, so I am happy to get Thor and would like Iron Man, Green Goblin who justify sets and Fantastic 4 if possible!

Comment

• zeedox
      Career Member
      • Aug 10, 2007

Marvel then Marvel now

Look, no offense to anyone or to the changes in the industry over the years.

I find much of the modern stuff a derivative to the age when buying a Marvel Comic at the shop with the rack toys.

First time I heard of Deadpool was from an animation student of mine, I believe most of that had an Mature rating. I still find the basics behind what a Mego is would produce "kid friendly" heroes.

Of course the customizers took things somewhere else and kept something going. So one thing is all wrapped into the other. Comics from today seem more like what grew out of Epic comics in the 80's.

The only reason I'm thinking about this btw is the purchase of Thor caused me to not get my double of the Superfriends Robin. :-)
      Last edited by zeedox; Dec 31, '15, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by DSTZach
        Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.
        Let me take a stab at that.

There's a split where one group wants repros due to the perceived costs of loose originals, and the other group who only wants new characters. I'm in the latter camp and refuse to buy any repros from FTC for, as predicted, it's destroyed the value of DC loose originals. So prices haven't stabilized, they've tanked on most anything FTC has put out and the irony is no one would be considering making these lines today, if it weren't for the secondary market of originals. But now that value is going away and new sales are...let's say unclear...yet no one can connect the dots.

Every collector's market has chase items. For Mego, it varies. A non-zombie FF, Secret ID, circle-suit, etc...take those away and the market erodes as its all commons directed at a stagnant pool of buyers. I support EMCE Marvel because they're limited variants and while they've certainly effected the price of Cap, it's nowhere near as bad as it's been for a Batman or Superman.

Let me clarify, I'm not BenBarb or a constant seller. I've only sold extra figures or parts. But this past year, I actually sold my personal collection, every line. There's an entire group here who've discussed building their collection through restoration, selling it at some point, then rebuilding again. That's what I mean by value.

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.
          Your assumptions mean you don't understand your market. Getting original like-new Megos is what all of this customer base wants, some of us have had multiples of each original figure with variations, etc. In varying conditions. some of us can't afford original minty in box Megos, so buying a EMCE/DST Iron Man is on the want list.
          The Marvel heavy hitters are Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. Yes they are the ones Mego originally made, for good reason, people will typically want them over the other characters just as Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lanturn, Wonder Woman are the heavy hitters for DC. Same reason they are the core group of the Avengers and Justice League. I am not an FTC fan but they were smart, they know the market, in that they remade the original DC Megos and then expanded the line. Most of us are old enough to have had original Megos as a kid and thats the reason this market survives, notalgia. Part of the excitement is rebuying/living what we had as a kid. We want to relive that and not only relive it, also get the characters Mego never made... both. It's also the reason behind most of the non-interest in the newer characters. This fan base does want new characters but really only to go along with the heavy hitters. I wouldn't want a line of figures that produces the minor characters before the heavy hitters or instead of the heavy hitters. Elektro and Lizard after Spiderman, etc. Outlier X-Men mean nothing to me if I don't first have the X-Men core group. I will probably skip most of the newer charactes (Daredevil, Punisher) and wait to maybe buy them after I have Iron Man, etc. Collectors like to have a full set of a line, in this way we wouldn't want you to just produce the characters Mego never made because there is the original Mego set of characters and then there's the EMCE/DST line or set, generally they are not mixed. Just like FTC's DC line... it is it's own set, reproduce the core group of figures for that set and then expand it.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

As somebody who reads the majority of what is written here (and in other places), I was surprised by the feedback of Mego fans, specifically how many like the concept of a new MIB reproduction of the original WGSH figure.

Like you said, I would have guessed much less but I'd say, it may be a 50/50 thing especially when the original character is pricey on the secondary market.

Personally, I'm more into the modern take or characters I haven't seen before. Daredevil is a set I highly anticipate, Deadpool may turn off some folks here but we're not the entire market and I think it's a terrific idea to further the format.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
              I'm in the latter camp and refuse to buy any repros from FTC for, as predicted, it's destroyed the value of DC loose originals. So prices haven't stabilized, they've tanked on most anything FTC has put out and the irony is no one would be considering making these lines today, if it weren't for the secondary market of originals. But now that value is going away and new sales are...let's say unclear...yet no one can connect the dots.

Oh, that old argument. No offense, but that sounds so snobby and elitist. There is no "value" to any of this stuff. It's all relevant to supply and demand just like anything else. Prices were high on the originals because there were more people that wanted them than there were figures available. Now there are enough to meet that demand, and everyone can have a nice mint Batman or Superman regardless of financial means. If that means some greedy dude can no longer sell an RC Bats for $$$$$ well, boo-frickin-hoo.
              These are TOYS, not stocks and bonds.
              And trust me, I've paid HUGE amounts for mint originals, and can afford it, but I'm thrilled that I don't have to anymore. In fact, I've LOST money on every vintage Mego I've sold. I don't care. I'm still happy to have new, minty TOYS that I can actually play with and pose, and if it breaks, I can replace it for $25.
              I see NO down side here.

Comment

• wise guy
                Career Member
                • Dec 29, 2014

I am not an ebay reseller so it doesn't hurt my feelings on the value of old Megos which were too overpriced anyway. if this a problem for others here, than why don't they make slight color changes on the classic remegos so there is a differance between old and new. Capt America and the F.F in darker blue suits , Lizard in dark green, Torch with more yellow etc. If the sculpts are classic than a modern color change could help.

Comment

• zeedox
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 10, 2007

Iron Man and Hulk

We are really talking about Iron Man and Hulk.
                  I figure the Fantastic Four has been unplayed with that recent movie etc.

Of course Green Goblin and Lizard but we haven't seen any villains anyhow.

I think the only other guy in question is Falcon and he was one of the coolest. I remember posing him and cap right next to that Power Records.

So the real question is why skip Iron Man?

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

With the Civil War movie coming out, I think a Falcon 3-pack would be cool. They could have: mego version, modern version and original green/orange outfit.
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                      With the Civil War movie coming out, I think a Falcon 3-pack would be cool. They could have: mego version, modern version and original green/orange outfit.
                      That's a VERY good suggestion.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, i'd love that.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ovenmitt
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 26, 2009

For Fantastic 4 in addition to original Mego figures someone suggested the team's purple spacesuits and I suggested removeable helmets from 1961 Fantastic Four #1. I'd like F4 1980s black and white costumes, too! Human Torch would need a Johnny Storm head and Thing a Ben Grimm head. Sue Storm different hairstyles. Dr Doom set for F4 villain of course!

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

what about a wonder man 3 pack

Attached Files
                            Last edited by daz71; Dec 31, '15, 8:42 PM.

Comment

• daz71
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2014

what about a vision 3 packvision.jpg
                              vision1.jpg
                              Vision2.jpg

Comment

• ODBJBG
                                Permanent Member
                                • May 15, 2009

FTC stuff hasn't destroyed any market IMO. It's greatly expanded it. I've bought more Mego and Re-mego stuff now more than ever, and it's off the back of some excellent FTC repros.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎