Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSTZach
    Museum Super Collector
    • Mar 1, 2012

Skimmed most of the posts here, but to clear some things up:

We have been making Marvel Select figures since before Hasbro had the Marvel license. We were only allowed to sell to specialty before, when Toy Biz had the master toy license, and we were grandfathered in under that same limitation. Marvel Select figures are only at specialty and comic shops, although the price is not restricted in any way -- in fact, we try not to increase it unless absolutely necessary.

Retro figures were a new license. To get that license, we had to agree to an $80/figure price point, and still only sell to specialty. So we decided some Megos were better than no Megos, and we packed that $80 figure with as much value as we could put into it and still make a reasonable profit, a.k.a. pay people. I think EMCE is doing a great job,and we're trying to reproduce that quality in the final product.

Hope that clears things up. If you only want a Mego Thor, like people said, vintage prices are stabilizing, so you maybe able to snag one at an affordable price. If you HAVE a Mego Thor, keep it and enjoy it. Ours is pretty much the same. If you want a modernized Thor, or Dr. Donald Blake, or a cool display set, or just want the flexibility of choice, our set costs less than a custom Mego would. (Depending on the figure, of course. We paid anywhere from $100-$300 when I was at ToyFare. Of course, we were paying pros like Flatt and Dunivant and Fensterer.)

Of course, if we don't like how sales are going, we will definitely revisit the license. No point in making a product that isn't selling. But so far, so good. Daredevil will be unveiled next month!
    Last edited by DSTZach; Dec 30, '15, 3:53 PM.

Comment

• zeedox
      Career Member
      • Aug 10, 2007

Thanks, keep in mind some of us have wives!

I have not been able to justify the payments to the wife. She seems to be ok when I get half a wave at a time from classic tv toys. So thats about $50.00 bucks.

I paid for the Thor, and I will buy Daredevil. But I won't buy Deadpool. So it this isn't going to chase I recommend you keep running those must have Marvel characters because the list will run dry for us old farts soon.

These folks shouldn't be bottom line, we all know the issues but a little respect for Mego fans is not too much to ask.

Comment

• DSTZach
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 1, 2012

If by "respect," you mean only make "must-have Marvel characters", then that's an arbitrary distinction. Who's a must-have? Should we only make characters that are 40+ years old? If so, the line will not run dry any time soon. Still plenty of guys (and girls) to do.

But are you implying that Mego Deadpool is somehow DISrespectful, because no true Mego fan would want it? Are there no Mego fans who like Deadpool? He's the best-selling figure so far, I believe, so hopefully the movie converts Mego fans to Deadpool fandom, or the figure converts Deadpool fans to Mego fandom. I hope Daredevil, being the man of the hour, does just as well.

Characters with some heat are the ones that will keep this line going. I know exactly who I want to see next, and he's hot AND a classic -- not sure where he falls in the roster, though.

Funny thing is, if we'd walked away from the deal, and word had gotten out, I can imagine a conversation on this forum about how collectors totally would have bought an $80 set, with a long debate over what they would have put in it to justify the price.
        Last edited by DSTZach; Dec 30, '15, 4:22 PM.

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

Thanks, DSTZach,

Marvel Select figures started in 2002 before Hasbro got Marvel license in 2006. How long can DST make Marvel Select figures? Love 7" scale, have 33 MS figures Dr Strange the latest and hope they continue indefinitely!

Retro Marvel sets:

Wish sets had 3 COMPLETE figures
          More than 4 sets a year at least 6 a set every other month!
          Need a FEMALE and a VILLIAN
          Please try to complete all original Mego Marvel
          Hope eventually DST can sell Mego Marvel figures INDIVIDUALLY

Good luck and looking forward to Daredevil and Toy Fair!

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

By Dec 2016 I will have 1 Thor, 1 Daredevil, 1 Spiderman and 1 Capt America . Deadpool is too 90's for me but I might get The Punisher depending on what month he is released. I hope we get Ironman and Dr. Strange in 2017, but I have a feeling we will see Spiderman 3.0 and Gambit (movie ) first

Comment

• Teemu
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by DSTZach
              Who's a must-have?
              Right now,

Iron Man and Dr Doom

Comment

• Ivaniski
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 24, 2007

My daughter picked up the Limited edition collector set Thor for me at NYC Forbidden Planet. She paid $80+tax......Figure looks good. However, i think i liked the Original Mego version better. I will have to put him in a Type S body pronto, as per the body lacks "ROM". The helmet easily comes off the head....i constantly had to place it back on the head (no hole on crown of head, no plug on helmet for better placement). The other heads are OK and the modern suit is a nice addition (I'm a classic Thor fan).

Last edited by Ivaniski; Dec 30, '15, 6:20 PM.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

DST Zach

Has any thought gone into not sealing in the Accessories the way they are currently... Maybe do the Tabs like the ones that hold in other suits? Top bottom and each side??? I reall hate cutting through these with an exacto knife worrying if I'm cutting all the way through the box. Thanks for listening

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

Starlord would be a cool retro and new figure when the next Guardians flick is ready! Cant wait to see Daredevil.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Can't wait to see DareDevil!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                        DST Zach

Has any thought gone into not sealing in the Accessories the way they are currently... Maybe do the Tabs like the ones that hold in other suits? Top bottom and each side??? I reall hate cutting through these with an exacto knife worrying if I'm cutting all the way through the box. Thanks for listening
                        I second the motion. Got the sets as gifts for Christmas so I was able to hold them and evaluate in person. I like the product. But the packaging restraints really kills me from buying anything for shelf price because too much is destroyed to access outfits and the booklet. Any thoughts to just changing the adhesive to tabs or Velcro strips? That would make me more of a player in this if some thought was given to that. Thanks for coming out here to talk to us about this.

Comment

• DSTZach
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                          DST Zach

It's a good idea! I'll pass it along!

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                          Thanks, DSTZach,

Marvel Select figures started in 2002 before Hasbro got Marvel license in 2006. How long can DST make Marvel Select figures? Love 7" scale, have 33 MS figures Dr Strange the latest and hope they continue indefinitely!
                          We have no plans to stop.

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                          Thanks, DSTZach,
                          Retro Marvel sets:

Wish sets had 3 COMPLETE figures
                          More than 4 sets a year at least 6 a set every other month!
                          Need a FEMALE and a VILLIAN
                          Please try to complete all original Mego Marvel
                          Hope eventually DST can sell Mego Marvel figures INDIVIDUALLY!
                          A set of three complete figures is unlikely, based on contract. As unlikely as your last suggestion, but maybe something will change. I don't know.

Not sure we can make them faster than we are, four is our target.

Not sure we'll get to a significant portion of the original line-up any time soon, due to licensing or format or character choice. We don't have Conan rights, obviously, and I doubt Lizard would justify a set like this any time soon.

Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

The original Mego figures didn't get Secret Identity figures to go along with their costumed persona. Except for the Billy Batson with Shazam head they called Peter Parker. And he was only released with Clark Kent.

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

I only buy these for the classic figure, and box, and throw the secret I.D. and modern version into a box of parts for customs . I like classic Thor but Donald , and Modern Thor
                              will be banished to the junk box. An original Mego Thor is a bit pricey for something to sit on a shelf with FTC DC figures

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Personally I prefer new characters over another retro line. Marvel has so many characters never produced, it would be better to see those explored. Wolverine is a good example. That has been my favorite set from the lot thus far. I think when it comes to making those already done, it becomes a little bit of a unfair contest because the retro figure not only competes with the original, but your childhood impressions as well. Expanding on what has already been done seems like a better approach in my humble opinion. That way you can conceptually honor how Mego might have done it, then move forward with modern interpretations. Of course it's all subjective, but anything that competes less with a childhood memory seems like a road less traveled to move on.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎