Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
    I'm not discouraging Diamond/EMCE from making anything...quite the contrary. I wish they'd make MORE, but the only way to do that is by abandoning the limitations placed on the line.
    If they abandon the limitations, then they can't make the figures. Simple as that.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• ovenmitt
      Persistent Member
      • May 26, 2009

Have the sets not been selling for $80? I thought Spidey set sold out. Don't know about Cap, but Wolverine is $39 on ebay. Thor arrives next week. Are all Deadpool pre-orders sold out? Diamond already has Daredevil planned next

These sets mainly need 3 COMPLETE figures and 4 sets a year is too few at least 6!

BTW how can Diamond sell its 7" Marvel Select action figures for $25 each in comic book/specialty stores and cannot do the same with Mego Marvel figures? MS figures are direct competition to Hasbro $20 Marvel Legends 6" retail figures!
      Last edited by ovenmitt; Dec 26, '15, 9:54 PM.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

^I'm guessing the non-compete, $80 price point is not protecting Hasbro and its Marvel Legends line, which goes to big-box stores, but rather with Marvel Select which is distributed by Diamond, the sublicensee from master license holder Hasbro, and sold to specialty stores. Diamond doesn't want a product to compete with its relatively long established Marvel Select figures. I think the audiences are different, but if a Marvel Select and a Mego-like Hulk came out the same month, I don't think I would double dip. But then again, I don't regularly buy Marvel Select figures.

Comment

• Teemu
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ovenmitt
          Have the sets not been selling for $80? I thought Spidey set sold out. Don't know about Cap, but Wolverine is $39 on ebay. Thor arrives next week. Are all Deadpool pre-orders sold out? Diamond already has Daredevil planned next

These sets mainly need 3 COMPLETE figures and 4 sets a year is too few at least 6!

BTW how can Diamond sell its 7" Marvel Select action figures for $25 each in comic book/specialty stores and cannot do the same with Mego Marvel figures? MS figures are direct competition to Hasbro $20 Marvel Legends 6" retail figures!
          Spider-man was sold out by the distibutor (EMCE/Diamond) themselves...but the vendors who bought them to re-sell to the public are sitting on product and having to put him on clearance.....that's NOT selling out,that's just vendors sitting on unsold product....a REAL sell-out is Distributor selling to Vendors and then the Vendor's sell-out after re-selling it.

Comment

• ovenmitt
            Persistent Member
            • May 26, 2009

Yeah that's like video games and systems how many were SHIPPED to retailers and how many were SOLD in the stores.

Weren't 3000 Spidey sets shipped? How many Cap, Wolverine, and Thor sets? How can Diamond keep making so many sets if they are not selling $80 each and orders are refused?

Comment

• megocrazy
              Museum Trouble Maker
              • Feb 18, 2007

This question needs to be directed at Hasbro not Diamond or EMCE. They have absolutely no control over the Marvel license or how it is used. The only question to be asked of them is to make what they are allowed to or not. All the posts in the world will not resolve the issue. Hasbro has no interest in using the 8 inch individual license and will not allow anyone to do so either. Until that changes or the license changes hands it's a moot point.
              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

The bottom line on what WE want as consumers and what a company like Diamond will eventually make is night and day. For the most part "Corporate" companies, 60 - 75 % of the time, do not have the ultimate consumer in mind when they make a product. If that wasn't true DC wouldn't be doing the COMPLETE opposite of what the majority of the fan base wants. Most of the corporations like DC have "Bean Counters" that work for them not ACTUAL fans or collectors working for them. It's just a fact. It's pretty sad when you think about it because your ultimate profit stands to be a lot higher if you give the ultimate consumer what they want. Maybe Diamond should do an ACTUAL survey of what customers want in the stores that they service...which is basically EVERY comic book store in the country. Problem is that would mean literally getting out some people, or at the very least a questionaire, to all the stores in the country. They don't want to spend the money or the time. Not for nothing...I'd rather give my money to the customisers here on the Museum than give Diamond any money. May spend a little more...but at least you'll be happier than waiting 6 - 8 months on a toy you may eventually hate when you get it in hand. Just a thought.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 26, 2009

I did a forum search and April 21, 2014 in Mego Buzz was the thread "Diamond Announces 8" Marvel Figures" I remember seeing this on my phone during break at work and could not click the thread fast enough. Imagine my disappointment when it was not individual figures but a Collector set with Mego Spidey and 2 other outfits and heads that later that day I found out cost $80! We had been speculating about new EMCE Me go Marvel figures since Toy Fair 2014 since Doc hinted at it and I called the partnership with Diamond. We've only had 4 sets since the announcement and mostly complaints. I hope Disney/Marvel re-evaluates the license soon and we hear a new announcement by Toy Fair in February to satisfy everybody.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

I've made it a point not to repeatedly post threads like this so as not to seem negative. I did so this time only because a new year is approaching and I'm hoping with it some change is possible. I really would like to see this line succeed, but as others have stated...vote with your wallet.
                    This is exactly what I've been doing and will continue to do. I simply refuse to pay nearly triple the cost of a single FTC figure for a single Diamond figure and two outfits I don't even want. The entire effort smacks of strongarm sales tactics by Marvel and I'm not having it.
                    Without support, this line WILL die. Comic shops and online retailers aren't going to keep ordering sets that aren't selling.
                    I highly suspect that as FTC continues to see success with their DC lines, somebody at Marvel will eventually take notice, and want in on the action. There are plenty of companies/brands out there right now sharing the DC/Marvel licenses simultaneously.
                    Hot Toys, Kotobukiya, Sideshow, Funko, Eaglemoss, Hot Wheels...etc. just to name a few. I truly believe all FTC has to do is wait and the opportunity will come.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ The bad part about the wait is I don't see Hasbro relinquishing it's rights anytime soon as long as the Marvel movies remain a lucrative endeavor. You know it's pretty interesting that Hasbro has such limited insight into this format given they have not taken the time to examine companies that have succeeded at it. I think you could place retro Mego style figures next to traditional 3 3/4, 6, and 7 inch lines and none of those lines would suffer losses as a result of these products. I think the retro lines are a very niche product and it's odd Hasbro feels threatened not to let another company make them if they don't believe there is big enough market to interest them. It doesn't really make any sense. If they think there IS a big enough market to invade their offerings then make their own limited edition pieces and enjoy the profits. This is not a hard riddle to crack.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

A number of the complaints are valid, like packaging and release schedule.

But this is a comparison of apples to pineapples. FTC's direct deal with WB/DC makes it a hundred times easier than EMCE's Marvel via DST on loan from Hasbro. DST is exponentially bigger than FTC, so I would assume the retro sales would have to be pretty massive for them to actually negotiate with Hasbro/ Marvel.

I think the issue comes down to Hasbro's Legends line. As long as that's the focus, they're not going to be agreeable on something similar in scale, packaging and pricepoint.

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

I wonder why Amoktime (a supposed somewhat big toy/comic online retailer) didn't order THOR?

because they can't sell their current stock at their 69.99-79.99 prices??

Comment

• wise guy
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 29, 2014

Thor hasn't hit the stores yet so it's only been 3 figures since April 2014 annoucement and Spidey gets a second figure next year . At this pace it could take 3-4 years to make
                            a team . Ironman's armor is too difficult for them to figure a solution( as stated in a earlier post) ,and with no females , and few villans it becomes very frustrating .
                            FTC (a smaller company ) is pumping out figures, playsets, sharks ,18'' figures etc.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 24, 2009

My 2 cents: I am one who does really like these sets. With that said, they are not without their flaws, but I will take the 90% good and live with the rest. But, I think pretty much everyone here seems to agree that our preference would be to individual figures. I think FTC is doing great with their lines. If you don't care about a secret id figure, don't get it! I like how they will do limited edition specials of obscure variations such as yellow sleeve Robin. I have no interest, so I don't get stuck with it in a set if I don't want it, yet there are plenty of collectors who do want it.
                              I will join the call for individual figure sets, I would buy more too if I could that way. But until then, I will buy the sets I want, and not the ones I don't. Sorry Thor and Deadpool, just not into you, even though I would probably get Modern Thor and 1 of the Deadpools if they were sold separately!

Comment

• daz71
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2014

i would prefer individual figures but if they can't do that then a set is preferable to nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎