Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

As many of you wait for Thor to arrive with the new year, I think it's time to address the failure that is the Marvel retro line. I'm a longtime Marvel fan over DC, yet I own nearly 70 FTC figures including Batman 66, WGSH, and JLA...how many Diamond figures do I own? ONE. Spider-Man, and even that was a disappointment. There is something seriously wrong with this picture, and Diamond is missing out on a LOT of money from me, and other collectors as well. These sets are simply too few, too far between, and aren't selling. We've all heard about the license restrictions and conditions, blah, blah, blah.

That's all legalese and doesn't mean diddly squat at the end of the day. What DOES matter is what the CONSUMER wants, and that is individually released figures at $25-30. FTC is giving the consumer what they want and then some, and that is why they are literally kicking the crap out of Diamond when it comes to sales of reMego figures. Now, I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know FTC has released well over 100 different DC figures already, so the winner here is clear.

I just sold my vintage Thor. I'd be happy to replace him with a Diamond version for $25-30. But I won't because I don't like the modern Thor, and don't care enough about Donald Blake to warrant buying an extra body for him. Now, if Diamond would release an individually carded wave of classic Thor figures with Thor, Loki, and Odin I wouldn't be able to get my wallet out fast enough. Then they could even throw Donald Blake in there and I'd probably buy him too, just to be a completist and because I wouldn't have to buy another body to put him on.

I'm really hoping that Diamond will be able to work with Marvel and bring this line to it's full potential in 2016. In order to do that, they have to be willing to ease up on these ridiculous license restrictions and give the customer what they actually WANT, instead of their current "take it or leave it" attitude, because guess what...it's WORKING. I choose to leave it. FTC will keep getting my money...Diamond won't be getting any, and it's all on them to change that.
  • wise guy
    Career Member
    • Dec 29, 2014

It's disappointing that Marvel has all these great charectors that could be coming out in Mego form and yet they don't wan't to change the 3 version sets for 80.00.
    It is difficult to have a discussion on this site about this with out getting people angry , and defensive. FTC is selling me a lot of figures and I only have 1 Cap and
    1 Spidey from Diamond. If the Marvels were sold separate than I would be buying a lot more Marvel, but I DON'T NEED 3 versions of each character, and
    forced to buy extra bodies to make them .I like the classic versions only and hate the secret I.D figures (didn't buy Bruce Wayne either from FTC)
    Could you imagine a set of remegos with Cyclops, Collossus, First app. Storm, Nightcrawler and Wolverine (painted yellow head) ? In the end it's not
    what we wan't but what Marvel will allow us to have

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

^Exactly. A Spider-man WAVE of individually carded figures with Spidey, Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Mysterio would've been an instant purchase for me of at least two sets....probably $240 in sales versus the $70 that I spent. Not to mention the fact that I was so disappointed with what they DID offer that I've never purchased any more.
      Cap, Wolverine just passed me by...I don't even know, was there a set between Wolverine and the upcoming Thor?

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I had an interesting development over Christmas. My wife surprised me with all three of these as gifts, which at first mortified me because I looked up wide eyed and said, "Honey what did you pay for these?" She said, "Don't worry. I found some great deals on Amazon. You like them don't you?" At which point, I dialed back and looked at them and said, " Actually these look very cool." And I DID really like them in hand. It actually made me feel pretty rotten for being so hard on Paul and company over that initial Spider-man set. They do look cool in person. I had bought some of the swivel arm bodies over the holiday for customs I was working on, so between those and some spare FTC bodies, I was able to put these together. So last night, after the wife and I finally got some down time, she watched the Dolly Parton Christmas movie while I cracked all three of these open. So I think this thread seem like a good place to give my final impressions given my initial reaction and then getting them as gifts.

First, let me say I DO like the heads (paint and all). They work in person. Something about photographing these makes it hard to translate how they look in hand. I think when you can hold something and turn it to register a full view, it plays on a different level than a static shot. That's been true of a great many FTC figures as well. My favorite set out of the existing lines is Wolverine. I can say without fail, I liked every single version of this guy. All three outfits were nicely made and the head sculpts and paint apps were stellar. They kicked. I also liked the swivel arm Dr. Mego bodies on those. Having more pronounced biceps leant a nice look for this character (IMO).

Spider-man was second favorite. I really liked the modern Spidey head in person. I always thought it looked like the Hasbro head in pictures, but it's much more Romita-esque in hand. I put him on a China-made FTC body and he looks good. I also finally understood why the webbing design photographs so weak in shots. It's the material they used. I don't know what that is but it does look great in person. It's impossible to make those webs read well in photographs because of the shiny properties of the fabric. I do have to note in my set the Parker pants were stitched badly at the crotch area, so he has zero range to move his legs. I was disappointed with that. The Retro Spidey head didn't register so shiny in person so that figure turned out really good.

Captain America was okay but problematic. The retro figure looked nice but I hated the fact the box was made wrong with his head half showing in the display window. That pretty well defeats the point of having it here. I also didn't care for the crinkled application of the shield sticker. I don't know what misinformation is being fed to the public, but the vintage Mego Cap. America shield showed it's decal seams on the surface but always laid down smooth. I had three as a kid and still have my original and there are zero wrinkles on it's surface. Perhaps someone got a defective one as a kid and assumed that was the norm? Not sure but from an esthetic perspective, it reads like a bad factory application. No nostalgia there because it's not accurate. I like all three heads here. Nice paint apps and Steve Rogers and the modern Cap look cool. Note I like the fact they made the boots rubber on the retro-Cap instead of that brittle plastic. Good idea. But the stitched star deserves all the criticism it has gotten. With all the glue they used in packaging how did they miss not using it where it made sense? Lost on the thinking there.

So out of all three, the one that was the biggest come down was Cap. America. A throwaway box and a flubbed decal shield really wrecked the retro value of that character. And for all the work that went into making descent head sculpts and outfits, that was a strange miss. But the one issue that applied to ALL THREE here was the packaging. I hated it. BOTH my Spider-man and Captain America retro boxes were glued to the side. I used a hair dryer and got them off without damaging the boxes, but it took allot of time and effort plus I have to deal with the residual glue that was left on the boxes and make sure they don't touch any of my vintage ones. And the "dotted" cutting lines for Cap and Wolverine accessories did not work since the adhesive bled past those indications anyway. So getting each of these out was an epic pain in the rear. I'm kind of lost on the thinking here. Why not just apply two Velcro strips on one end so they can detach easily and open up without all of this destruction to the package? It seems like it took more factory work doing it in it's current form.

The retro boxes are fine but not a big fan of the matte finish because the originals had a semi-gloss finish. This makes them read more like a custom than a professionally made box. Overall the figures themselves are nice. I feel better about their overall value in terms of display and just general look. This is a much better concept in hand than watching it unfold through pictures and videos. But having now experienced them firsthand, the single greatest detriment to their appeal to me is that damn packaging. I spent an absorbent amount of time getting these things out. And after spending a good part of that morning opening my grandson's toys and knowing all too well what an over-secured product looks like, I can say without exception, these figures were ten fold worse than the most wired in, locked in toy I had to deal with on Christmas morning. Using a hair dryer, cutting all over on packaging, dealing with over used adhesive at every turn. Having to use hot water to soften plastic to insert hands. These were a nightmare to get out and something of a job to assemble (although expected in some areas).

So it doesn't surprise me people were tough on these because of this nightmarish packaging. Those issues contribute to an elevated reaction when people find factory problems with the product itself. Overall I liked the figures just fine with a few exceptions mentioned. None of that is going to wreck my general enjoyment of the product. But I also didn't pay for these either. I think you tend to wear a different hat and forgive allot more when it's not at your expense. Had I paid for these and paid top price, I would have boxed them up and sent them back. Why? Because even though they ARE cool figures and presented in a Captain Action style, I would have destroyed too much of the packaging I paid for to get them open. NO ONE in the collector community pays THAT kind of money to destroy a package for loose figures. Why pay the money if your packaging is no longer displayable? In my wife's case she was able to get these for half that price, and while I still had some reserves, I felt better overall about her paying that since I can make these work for what they are.

As stated, having them in hand makes me feel allot better about the figures themselves. The skill and craftsmanship is generally there in most aspects of the product. I really like the booklets and Brian does an excellent overview with his contributions plus I like reading about the history of the character and the thinking that went into making each figure. There is real value in what you get. And while there are some prickly circumstances in a few places with the product itself, overall I hope this line continues. I'm interested to see how the Thor retro figure looks off the production line. I'm going to try and continue this line with my own money, but it will have to be through reduced pricing similar to what my wife did here. I understand the licensing restrictions allot better now and realize this is what Paul and company have to work with. But with that in mind, they absolutely should redo their thinking on that packaging. It's not collector friendly at all. But above all else, it should be reasonably accessible at that price so the buyer can redisplay it as he or she chooses. As I stated above, I think Velcro strips on one end would be a good remedy to that problem.
        Last edited by MIB41; Dec 26, '15, 3:39 PM.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

Very Fair assessment MIB41... I understand the frustrations of buyers but I haven't paid full price for any of the sets $65 each and that was upon initial release not waiting for the discounts. Surprised your Cap box was Glued like Spidys box because that was one of the fixes after the Complaints on the initial set. I think the Heads and Outfits are very well done... And I get to put them on Good bodies... I liked the Wolverine set so much I bought a second to have the RM One put with my XMen Customs and got that one for $50 at a toy show... Thor is pre ordered through my brothers comic guy so it's $65 for him as well... I'm afraid to wait on the Dead Pool figure because of the buzz the movie has created... I see some pre sales are alread sold out on him. But I agree that the packing does need to be more collector friendly. I'm also not disappointed in the figure spacing... I can't keep up with FTC and with the exception of the 66 Batman figures that I'm seeing through to the end and the New Superfriends line I'm picking and choosing what I buy from them now. To many retreads of old stock on new cards in different outfits and inflated prices $24.99 to $26.99 for my taste. Especially since I hate the FTC bodies, but I'm happy that both lines Diamond Marvel and FTC are still continuing the output of figures, it's a great time for 8 inch collectors.

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

I will not discourage any company from doing Mego figures for me. Thanks to the Diamond/EMCE retro figures I now have a retro Spiderman and retro Captain America. And a retro Thor in a couple of weeks... And didn't have to pay the high prices original figures of these command in the secondary market if in mint condition.

The price... Well that's relative. A lot of us are customizers and know what it takes in making a custom figure. I'm certain no one here will sell a custom figure of theirs for just $25... Even if its just a kit bashed figure try buying just the clothes and heads from the talented members herein and you are off the $25 mark already. Although I have never paid more than $60 for any of these sets, paying $75 ain't bad when you consider you're getting factory made custom fodder to make three figures ($25 x 3 = $75). I won't say no to that...

Furthermore, I think that discouraging factory made Mego items is like going against the nature of being a Mego fan. I mean after all these years waiting for Mego like figures to be offered in the market I won't bash any offerings. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't I won't.

Vote with your wallet! That's always the driver for the toy manufacturers. If they make profit out of their product they will continue making them if not then they will not. Despite what the usual suspects state Diamond must be making profit on their sets else they wouldn't be putting together more sets for us Mego fans (i.e. Thor, Deadpool, Punisher, etc.).

I am grateful to Diamond/EMCE for these sets...

Comment

• ovenmitt
              Persistent Member
              • May 26, 2009

enyawd72,

Well said! Exactly what I've been saying. I am grateful to DST and EMCE for trying to give us new Mego Marvel figures but like you said the too high $80 price and licensing restrictions (1 body and 3 costumes) and few releases (only 4 sets a year) are killing the line. I have Spidey set its ok and I like the Cap set. Skipped Wolverine set which is now $39 on ebay. I did order Thor set always wanted original Thor Mego. I wish these sets at least had 3 COMPLETE figures. Besides $80 you have to buy extra bodies! There are too many Marvel characters going to waste that will never get done in this format. They do need to be sold individually for $25-$30 each like FTC DC which is making our DC Mego dreams come true! Imagine Spider-Man, Avengers, X-men, and Fantastic 4 lines! Hulk! 2016 Daredevil and Punisher sets are good ideas, not familiar with Deadpool even though he's popular and has new movie. Not interested in Spider-Man 2099. Where's Iron Man and Hulk? A FEMALE and VILLIAN? I just wish DST could do with Marvel what FTCC is doing with DC! And Hasbro's Marvel license goes to 2020! UGH! Disney has to see potential of Marvel Megos even if its a niche market. *I do like DST 7" Marvel Select figures I have 33 of those. MS Classic Dr Strange is my latest and he's so cool but we'll never get a Mego of him for instance. Such a shame. Re-negotiate Disney and DST!
              Last edited by ovenmitt; Dec 26, '15, 1:13 PM.

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hasbro was the reason DST can only do the high-priced sets? My understanding was that, as the Marvel action figure Master License holder, they insisted on the higher priced collector sets and wouldn't allow lower priced single releases, fearing it would compete with Hasbro's single-release action figure lines (like Marvel Legends)? If that's the case, there really isn't anything that can be done, shame though it is.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 26, 2009

It's true Hasbro imposed the strict license restrictions on DST Me go Marvel sets. The sets have to be sold as a premium collectible for $80, 1 character which includes secret ID, and 1 figure + 3 outfits. So this limits character choices drastically.

I wonder if Spider-Woman set could be done with the 3 women who have shared the name in their 3 different costumes?

Or Jean Grey as Marvel Girl, Phoenix, and 90s no codename?

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                    Very Fair assessment MIB41... I understand the frustrations of buyers but I haven't paid full price for any of the sets $65 each and that was upon initial release not waiting for the discounts. Surprised your Cap box was Glued like Spidys box because that was one of the fixes after the Complaints on the initial set. I think the Heads and Outfits are very well done... And I get to put them on Good bodies... I liked the Wolverine set so much I bought a second to have the RM One put with my XMen Customs and got that one for $50 at a toy show... Thor is pre ordered through my brothers comic guy so it's $65 for him as well... I'm afraid to wait on the Dead Pool figure because of the buzz the movie has created... I see some pre sales are alread sold out on him. But I agree that the packing does need to be more collector friendly. I'm also not disappointed in the figure spacing... I can't keep up with FTC and with the exception of the 66 Batman figures that I'm seeing through to the end and the New Superfriends line I'm picking and choosing what I buy from them now. To many retreads of old stock on new cards in different outfits and inflated prices $24.99 to $26.99 for my taste. Especially since I hate the FTC bodies, but I'm happy that both lines Diamond Marvel and FTC are still continuing the output of figures, it's a great time for 8 inch collectors.
                    Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised to see the same swab of glue holding my Cap box in place like Spider-man's. In terms of general pricing for all companies involved here, I have noted FTC raising their prices on a number of recent sets and individual figures. I've also noted their LOOSE figures that were typically priced down to $11.99 each in the past are now $19.99 a figure because they put them in a bag. So the big uptick in pricing is beginning to wear on me and encouraging secondhand market purchases. When you see "variant" sets going for $100 mark downs, that's a statement. When you see $27.00 figures selling carded and mint for under $20.00, that's a statement too. So seeing $65 to $80 dollar sets selling for $40 plays to that same thinking. Why on earth buy any of these out of the gate new at high prices when the market can't sustain them at shelf value six months after? So my pre-order button has been turned off for a while because I'm seeing too much of this. Now I understand there is nothing for Diamond Select to do here in terms of pricing. That's the license restriction since Hasbro holds the majority stake in those rights. And make no mistake. I DO like the product being made by most companies in play here. But the pricing is becoming suspect, regardless of individual value, because the steep discounts don't take long to find. That certainly brings into question where the demand is, but it could also reflect how much less it takes upfront for companies to cut a profit and sustain lines because of the huge markups. I'll be shocked if any of this ever sells out on a wide scale. There's so much saturation in the Mego retro market right now, it would be hard to make anything so unique it could sell out a production run of three thousand units. Maybe Star Wars figures could answer that challenge in the current market, but not much else. A damn shame no one could secure those rights and get this done. They would most likely be making a killing right now, no matter the price point.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

And I have noticed that Remego is killing the vintage market... In the past few months I have been picking up ORIGINAL Megos ranging from Spidy and Cap to Tarzan Batman Robin Supes, mostly complete (repro emblems) for around $15 to $25 a pop... And with that being said I'm buying and Rather buy a lot more Vintage.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                        I will not discourage any company from doing Mego figures for me. Thanks to the Diamond/EMCE retro figures I now have a retro Spiderman and retro Captain America. And a retro Thor in a couple of weeks... And didn't have to pay the high prices original figures of these command in the secondary market if in mint condition.

The price... Well that's relative. A lot of us are customizers and know what it takes in making a custom figure. I'm certain no one here will sell a custom figure of theirs for just $25... Even if its just a kit bashed figure try buying just the clothes and heads from the talented members herein and you are off the $25 mark already. Although I have never paid more than $60 for any of these sets, paying $75 ain't bad when you consider you're getting factory made custom fodder to make three figures ($25 x 3 = $75). I won't say no to that...

Furthermore, I think that discouraging factory made Mego items is like going against the nature of being a Mego fan. I mean after all these years waiting for Mego like figures to be offered in the market I won't bash any offerings. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't I won't.

Vote with your wallet! That's always the driver for the toy manufacturers. If they make profit out of their product they will continue making them if not then they will not. Despite what the usual suspects state Diamond must be making profit on their sets else they wouldn't be putting together more sets for us Mego fans (i.e. Thor, Deadpool, Punisher, etc.).

I am grateful to Diamond/EMCE for these sets...
                        Did you actually READ my post? I'm not discouraging Diamond/EMCE from making anything...quite the contrary. I wish they'd make MORE, but the only way to do that is by abandoning the limitations placed on the line. I have never been a fan of multi-figure packs of any kind from any company. They force you to pay a higher price point and buy items you may not want.
                        I wish to purchase ONLY a vintage Thor reproduction for $25-30, but I can't. If I want Thor, I HAVE to purchase the set and pay more than DOUBLE the money for two outfits I don't even want.
                        I refuse to do that, so instead, Diamond gets ZERO money from me.
                        Also, I never said Diamond wasn't making money (nor do I know what being one of "the usual suspects" means) but it is obvious based on the sheer volume of product released that FTC is making MORE money than Diamond off reMegos. MUCH more. FTC: 100+ DC figures. Diamond: 4 Marvel figures. FOUR. It ain't rocket science.

It's like walking into a pizza joint and trying to order a pepperoni pizza and the guy tells you "Sorry, if you want pepperoni, it also comes with mushrooms and anchovies."
                        But I don't WANT anchovies. I hate anchovies. "Too bad, that's the only way it comes."
                        That guy's not gonna sell a whole lot of pizza.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I don't like mushrooms or anchovies on my pizza. That is the perfect analogy to what Diamond is selling. It being imposed on them by the pizza conglomerate and that is how they have to serve it to even be allowed to sell it.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ovenmitt
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 26, 2009

I read on FTC board before that FTC was offered Mego Marvel license under same format and restrictions as Diamond but FTC passed. FTC suggested selling a set of 4 Mego Marvel figures for $100 where you HAD to buy the set for $100 not sold individually for $25 each. And I think it was random mixes like Lizard, Invisible Girl, Iron Man, and Falcon in a set. Then FTC would do NEW Marvel Megos. Marvel/Disney turned it down though. Too bad. I would have gone for it.
                            Last edited by ovenmitt; Dec 26, '15, 8:13 PM.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              Did you actually READ my post? I'm not discouraging Diamond/EMCE from making anything...quite the contrary. I wish they'd make MORE, but the only way to do that is by abandoning the limitations placed on the line. I have never been a fan of multi-figure packs of any kind from any company. They force you to pay a higher price point and buy items you may not want.
                              I wish to purchase ONLY a vintage Thor reproduction for $25-30, but I can't. If I want Thor, I HAVE to purchase the set and pay more than DOUBLE the money for two outfits I don't even want.
                              I refuse to do that, so instead, Diamond gets ZERO money from me.
                              Also, I never said Diamond wasn't making money (nor do I know what being one of "the usual suspects" means) but it is obvious based on the sheer volume of product released that FTC is making MORE money than Diamond off reMegos. MUCH more. FTC: 100+ DC figures. Diamond: 4 Marvel figures. FOUR. It ain't rocket science.

It's like walking into a pizza joint and trying to order a pepperoni pizza and the guy tells you "Sorry, if you want pepperoni, it also comes with mushrooms and anchovies."
                              But I don't WANT anchovies. I hate anchovies. "Too bad, that's the only way it comes."
                              That guy's not gonna sell a whole lot of pizza.
                              It's been explained since day one that the three figures format was a licensing condition. It was that or NO Marvel Megos. Well, then I'm glad they chose the format...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎