Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coleco to release brand new game console. The Coleco Cameleon.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Coleco to release brand new game console. The Coleco Cameleon.

Coleco joins forces with the retrovgs to release a new Coleco branded cartridge based game console.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I wonder what games will be available for it? If it comes with Donkey Kong like the original Colecovision did, I'm in!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
      If it comes with Donkey Kong like the original Colecovision did, I'm in!
      That would be a monumental licensing issue these days. Unfortunately, I just can't see Nintendo licensing out Donkey Kong for something like this.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, you're probably right, but I can still hope. At any rate, they are going to need licensed games of some sort if they expect to have any success with this.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

Havent found to many details on this thing so far. I really would prefer a system like the retron 5 but with the ability to play 2600, 5200, intellivision, and coleco games. The homebrew scene for these systems are thriving right now.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Really interested in this. Looking forward to more info.
            (Interesting that they used the Atari Jaguar body for it.)
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• the antithesis
              • Dec 13, 2015

Kind of reminds me of the GCW Zero, although that's a handheld that is more of an emulator device, but it does have a few original titles for it.

Be interesting if the Chameleon is going to have original games or be an emulator box of some description.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Launch titles video announcement.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

I like those 16 bit games! Nice

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome! Some of my favourite ColecoVision and Intellivision games are in there.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Ok this is something I can see using. Games lost me around the middle 1990s.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

I have been a Colecovision fan since its début in 1982 with Donkey Kong pack-in game! I was 12 and it was the dream video game system!

I have Colecovision Flashback and it's ok, but Chameleon looks so much better and uses cartridges my favorite format!

Cannot wait until Toy Fair in 3 days for official unveil, games, and prices!

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Lots of bad news coming out about the project.

Last month RetroVGS's Coleco Chameleon made a big splash at Toy Fair, promising retro-gaming goodness from such storied systems as the SNES, the Intellivision and the Atari 2600. The Kickstarter was set to begin on February 26, but instead the company made an announcement that evening via Facebook stating that the crowdfunding process would be put on an indefinite delay. RetroVGS says the Kickstarter campaign was put on hold in order to finalize the prototype and lock down additional content for the system. However, an accompanying image was removed from the Facebook post after criticism that the Chameleon may not work as advertised.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Damn, that doesn't sound good.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Well, it's all over. After a week of or so of revelations, resignations and shenanigans, Coleco Holdings have officially removed their name from the project and Retro VGS has apparently disappeared.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎