Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Slumber Party!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
    Please if I could make a request that any and all discussion of the move be started with

SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS

I would be in you debt, some of us haven't seen the film and want to go in fresh. I've already read some things I truly don't appreciate in my feed.
    My apologies Brian. I took the thread heading as a okay to speak freely on the subject here without a warning. My deepest apologies if I ruined it for you. Rats!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, same here. I thought the spoiler in the title was enough. I apologize!

Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers
      Spoilers

I think Snoke was just a projection, BUT at first, I didn't get that, and neither did the audience. There was a lot of mumblings and rumblings about him being so big. I was glad to see it was JUST a projection...or at least we think it is as of now.

Chris
      Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Dec 18, '15, 9:25 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Yeah, same here. I thought the spoiler in the title was enough. I apologize!

Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers
        Spoilers

I think Snoke was just a projection, BUT at first, I didn't get that, and neither did the audience. There was a lot of mumblings and rumblings about him being so big. I was glad to see it was JUST a projection...or at least we think it is as of now.

Chris
        When I saw that I took it to be a homage to the scenes from Empire where Vader was kneeling in front of the projection of the Emperor. He was big there too.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

To be honest, in listening to all the opinions both here and on various other forums that are virtually buzzing with TFA talk, I'm starting to get a mental image that Disney, indeed, went for a "soft reboot" of the franchise instead of moving boldly and straightforward into virgin SW territory. For the commercial and studio side of the franchise, that's basically like printing money because they knew, going in, that they had a built in, captive audience that was collectively holding its' breath, basically starving for new, theatrical SW stuff. Padding said soft reboot with characters from the original trilogy was also a no-brainer because of the whole nostalgia factor. It's beginning to sound a little like Disney, Lucasfilm and Abrams almost pulled a Bryan Singer move, making sure that the fans would be like giddy school girls by seeing old characters, locations and plotline on the big screen again while at the same time, slowly bringing in the new guard that is meant to replace the beloved characters from the original trilogy.

IMHO, Abrams and company should have approached STAR WARS: 30 YEARS LATER as an opportunity to bring something fresh and original to the screen while still connecting it to the STAR WARS universe. They should have trusted in their own story ideas and characters enough to have let those populate this film and, while perhaps mentioning the events of the first trilogy, not use the characters of Han, Chewie, Leia, Luke and the Droids to pull people into this new film. STAR WARS and ESB were something like lightning in a bottle and, no matter how much you emulate those films or try to pay homage to them, you're likely not going to recapture that lighting by retreading or retooling old ideas. I am definitely planning on seeing this movie, at which point i will be able to interject more, but for now, it seems like this film is going to be one of those films that STAR WARS fans are either going to love or merely accept and wait for the next one. I will say one more thing: if the event which must not be mentioned transpired in the way in which it's been described to me without having some greater purpose to drive the story forward, then it was as much a waste of a character as Jonathan Kent was in MAN OF STEEL....
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

I loved it, and I think that 7-8 year old me would've loved it, too. And that, I believe, is what matters most. I'll be taking the kids to see it in the next few days, and while they're not SW fans and know little of the history, that won't really matter. This film has the 1930s serial feel of the original (IV), and like that movie, it is a good jumping-on point for this generation of audience. I'll be shocked if my kids don't think it's great.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

SPOILERS AHOY
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS
              SPOILERS

I'm hearing from people at 8am who are not fanboys in the least, but come from the same generation, took their families and have been stewing since last night.

When general movie population non-OCD people are telling me it's way too repetitive of the originals.... I do not agree at all that anyone expected a mirroring of the originals. References, yes. But when you're replicating exact plot-points, straight up, you're into rehash/reboot mode. There was no need for another Death Star if the intention was for something new.

Best thing to come out of this will be to show how social media is a hyperized opinion of a subset and not consensus.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS
                SPOILERS

I think Force Awakens, in a lot of ways, is Superman Returns done right. It's a love letter, it's a reboot, it's a sequel. But, it's a satisfying film, overall. Yeah, maybe the NEW Death Star was a bit much, but at least they acknowledge it within the film.

I think past this film, we'll see less rehashes of ideas of the first film. I think they had to wash the prequel taste out of audience's mouth, or at least that was the thinking. So maybe they dug a bit TOO deep in the toybox of the originals, but I myself didn't mind.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS
                  SPOILERS

We were there last Night, Myself and My Brother...
                  I felt the Reboot vibe but It didn't bother me in the least, I don't think that there was a way around it and if these characters are going to be the next generation what better way to get them introduced into the Franchise.
                  I really hoping against hope that the Smugglers Death wasn't the end... But he did make no bones about not wanting to be in the Franchise any longer.
                  I do think Rey is Skywalkers child... When Solo said that Luke left Distraught after Ren went Rogue and then Rey had the Flashback of the ship leaving her behind as a child threw that together for me... I don't think they went the twin rout again or Lea would have said something.
                  I was wondering what you all thought of Poe... Best Pilot in the System... somehow down the line I think there will be some kind of Family tie in.
                  I was disappointed that Luke was in it for all of 5 mins.
                  Solo and Chewie carried the film.
                  My Favorite Scene/Line
                  REY "This is the Millenium Falcon... the ship that made the Kessel run in 14 Parsecs?!?!" Solo "12 Parsecs!!!"

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                    • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
                    SPOILERS AHOY

Best thing to come out of this will be to show how social media is a hyperized opinion of a subset and not consensus.
                    No need to be pretentious about it.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      I ... I don't think they went the twin rout again or Lea would have said something.
                      "
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS
                      SPOILERS

SPOILERS
                      Because Leia would feel comfortable telling her daughter that she had wiped her memory, then abandoned her on a planet alone, and all that as a result of that she contributed to losing her brother to the dark side as well that Leia doesn't feel any risk that she might join her brother to betray them all just as her brother already did.

Or maybe because there's no precedence of lying about thus kind of stuff in the past?

Ha
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS
                        SPOILERS

Well, Leia would be Rey's aunt, unless the family is still REALLY freaky, which is just...yuck.

I wonder if Rey is indeed Luke's daughter, did Han, Leia and Ben/Kylo Ren even KNOW of her. Or did Luke keep her secret to protect her, feeling a disturbance in the Force or some such.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

SPOILER cliff straight ahead...

SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS
                          SPOILERS

The only expectation I had for this film was an advancement of the last plot from Jedi. You can serve me any kind of world you want under any terms you want for science fiction as long as it stays consistent within the universe established including adding layers to an existing plot. If donkeys can fly, then give me a dose of flying donkeys. I'm good. Where this film, FOR ME, violates that rule on so many fronts is it didn't know what it wanted to be outside of serving what had come before and accelerated the learning curve for key characters to advance said story. If we took Luke and placed him in a similar vein with Rey, then in "A New Hope", he would have told the old man Obi to forego the training and give him Vader in a caged ring to duke it out while his buddies flew around the Death Star to blow it up. The destruction of Death Star 3.0 had zero weight to it. It was an afterthought. Outside of being able to destroy several planets instead of one, it carried no menace. They might as well have been throwing darts at a balloon. It was just a visual prop. Impressive to behold but story-wise a gun loaded with blanks.

What I can say and will always say about this movie was it had a good cast. Abrams served everyone well in that respect. They were all good actors who gave solid performances. I can't think of anyone who pulled down the story for a bad performance. But from a scripting point, they had nothing to do. They got moved around like chess pieces without any time to reason their development in skills. And that was the whole feel of the movie for me. Everything existed to pay homage to 'A New Hope'. Characters got moved from point A to point B to service the tradition, not to tell it's own story. There was no mountain to climb so much as a check list to mark off. Rey fills in for Luke; Kylo is Darth Light; Han takes the token death bow not because he was saving someone or making a important and necessary sacrifice , but because that was tradition. General Hux is a poor man's Peter Cushing. I mean...sigh.. there's just nothing new here. Painfully unoriginal. I don't mind things looking familiar and a nice nod here or there for homage, but let's expand out somewhere please. From a scripting standpoint I can honestly say it absolutely was no better than the prequels and could very well lend merit to them for at least trying to explore something a tad different even if they were painfully predictable. This was no different. That's not the genre or tradition talking in my mind. I've had nearly 40 years to ground my expectations on Star Wars movies. I don't look for my kid experience anymore. I get that. It would just be nice to see someone service those stories by writing something new without having to constantly look back for a cash grab on the originals. And for anyone who loved this, that is great. I'm not here to argue point. It's a movie. I hope everyone enjoys the experience. I'm just trying to illustrate my expectations when I went in to see this movie. That's all. To me if you want to reboot, then reboot. But don't call it Episode VII if that is your intent.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS

Well, Leia would be Rey's aunt, unless the family is still REALLY freaky, which is just...yuck.
                            F
                            I wonder if Rey is indeed Luke's daughter, did Han, Leia and Ben/Kylo Ren even KNOW of her. Or did Luke keep her secret to protect her, feeling a disturbance in the Force or some such.

Chris
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            SPOILERS
                            Yeah. I think everyone knows about Rey except Rey.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

SPOILER four alarm fire...

This says everything I could possibly say in the best illustrated way.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS

SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS
                                SPOILERS

In all fairness, that is written in a way that services both stories.

I'm not denying there are similarities, and there may be too many, but they definitely didn't draw me out of the movie.

The Star Wars story, like all stories, is built on coincidence. It's the house the Skywalker legacy is built on, in fact. History repeating itself could be sloppy writing, or the creators trying to add to that mythic quality of legend. Or a bit of both.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎