Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Slumber Party!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hedji
    For what it's worth, I do hope they take it into all new territory from here on out. They really have a blank canvas if they want. I think a change of directors is a good thing.
    Disney and JJ had to nail the nostalgia on this movie, no doubt about it. I think they were scared to death to move out of the comfort zone with the first movie because they didn't want to mess it up in the eyes of the masses. As much as I would have liked to see less sand and ice planets and large death planets, it did strike the right chords with me, and is paying off in a fun movie to watch. With as many Star Wars movies we will be seeing coming out in the next few years, I think we'll see less of playing it safe, and more story driven movies.

I literally just came back 20 minutes ago from seeing the movie again, and I enjoyed it more the second time I think. I was on the look out for stuff I missed, and did catch some stuff. Clem I was watching close for you and caught you near Finn I'm pretty sure
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector
      I dig the idea of a rogue deserting Stormtrooper...I have a feeling Finn is going to be a favorite of mine.
      Love Finn. John Boyega seems like he is really loving being in the film, running the circuit, showing up at theaters and high fiving the fans. The new cast is one of the film's biggest strengths. Get Finn, Poe, and Rey in a jam together and let the sparks fly. There's real chemistry and comradery.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I agree, the newcomers did a great job. Especially Daisy Ridley, for someone with not much of an acting resume, she was fantastic.

Comment

• Duncan
          Museum focus-groupie
          • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
          The bit with Kylo Ren having a tantrum and the two stormtroopers doing an about face seems like something from Pegg's bag of tricks for example.
          I loved that scene. IMO it also helped to make Finn's behavior more believable because we're seeing troopers thinking for themselves / self-preservation. But mainly it was funny.

Comment

• JRT!
            Museum Super Collector
            • Sep 6, 2015

Sideshow Spock - Kathleen Kennedy started that rumour,only she states it as fact,lol! So I don't think it's just speculation. Still don't see how he can come back unless it's flashbacks......or a Force ghost?! LOL!

J-R!

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

But will we have a new love triangle for Rey with Finn and Poe. Lets hope their not secretly siblings this time.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

My brother went and saw this last night. Note my brother is about as far removed from the genre as one can get, but the buzz got him in the doors. He really liked it. He said it definitely had a familiar beat to the original but he thought it was a good idea to do a soft reboot while introducing new characters. It's an interesting opinion I'm hearing and apparently the right angle to take based on its business. I never would have considered a retread of old material as a viable option. But that's also the old kid in me talking too. Perhaps this was a necessary 'evil' to kick-start the franchise again. Just wanted to report that, because if HE is seeing it that way then this film is really reaching out to an entirely different demographic. It's been fascinating to watch this unfold.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  One thing that did disappoint me was John Williams' score. I don't recall any new memorable music taking place, it was nice hearing the old themes, but there was no new music that really stuck with me, it was kind of generic. Even the prequels had some cool new themes.

We ended up seeing this in 3D, but the effect didn't have too many "wow" moments, except one shot where the front of a Star Destroyer looked like it was popping right off the screen and over the audience. That shot alone almost made it worth the extra ticket price.
                  I was thinking the same thing about the score as well... then I remembered the dude is like, 90! I'm sure they were happy he was standing up and waving the baton.

I went the extra step and tried out dbox. I can see the "Tingler" like novelty as Theatres try every fifties gimmick in the book once more. Smell-o-vision is next.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I see Han-as-Obi for the sequels.

I know it doesn't make sense since he wasn't a Jedi, but SW has so many different spectral mediums at work. For example, Han could be a recorded hologram inside R2. Rey asks R2 questions, and he responds with different snippets. Or 3PO and his vocal mimcry.

You also have the obvious "Jedi's can talk to the Afterlife" deal...which could play out for Rey like Hamlet. Now That really fits what Abrams has already laid out.

Ford's a pain, but he'll knock out a few days of green screen with no problem.
                    Last edited by hedrap; Dec 22, '15, 9:55 AM.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

I bet we'll see Solo in flashbacks and not a "ghost" or whatever.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by clemso
                        But will we have a new love triangle for Rey with Finn and Poe. Lets hope their not secretly siblings this time.
                        Don't forget Chewie! Could be a foursome!
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

One thing that did disappoint me was John Williams' score. I don't recall any new memorable music taking place, it was nice hearing the old themes, but there was no new music that really stuck with me, it was kind of generic. Even the prequels had some cool new themes.

Of the new material William's composed for TFA, I think my favourite is Rey's theme. It's a great piece. Bought the soundtrack CD last week, and I've been playing that track the most.

Captain Phasma was a bit of a pushover, wasn't she?

Kathy Kennedy says we'll be seeing more of Phasma in Episode VIII. Hopefully we'll actually get to see her in combat properly next time.
                          Last edited by Bruce Banner; Dec 22, '15, 1:57 PM.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Get the soundtrack. It is not the type of scoring Williams used to do. He's been "maturing" as a composer for the last 3 decades. But don't discount it if you're not humming the themes. It's got wonderful power and emotion in it. Oh, and Disney Records is streaming it for free.

Disclaimer: I am an unabashed Williams Fanboy. But there is good to be found in the score if you give it a chance.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-forc...lliams-stream/

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS
                              SPOILERS

I actually did have fun watching it, but like a lot of people I'm amazed at how lazy that script was.

The new actors might have been my favorite thing, even though their characters are written thinner than a soap bubble.

I know people are defending the movie saying the original Star Wars films are not that deep, full of plot holes and contrivances, but I think this movie was worse for all of that - especially when you consider the fact that the script adds nothing new. It's not like they were busy coming up with all these great ideas so they didn't have time to figure out how to get Han to find the Flacon, or for the rebels to figure out a plan to blow up the new Death Star,

I always thought Return of the Jedi was the most problematic and laziest Star Wars script of the original three, (i.e. another Death Star?) but at least that script expanded the universe in other new ways. People may have not loved the Ewoks, or thought the motive for inserting them was too commercially driven, but at least they were a new idea that added to the fantasy universe.

Originally posted by hedrap
                              Abrams hit enough of the real SW aesthetic hallmarks that it made the story rehashes acceptable. Lucas' dislike for the feel of the original films made it impossible for him to grasp how important that look was.
                              I think this is very true. The look and feel was somewhat convincingly re-created so that fans (and me) felt some satisfaction. Having said that, this isn't the kind of movie I'll want to re-watch ever.

Comment

• Brazoo
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 14, 2009

Spoilers
                                Spoilers
                                Spoilers
                                Spoilers
                                Spoilers
                                Spoilers
                                Spoilers

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                                One thing I couldn't figure out, is Snoke really that huge? Or just his projection is? Sorta a Wizard of Oz type thing?.
                                I would put money down that he's a teenie-weenie Yoda-like dude. I think they're going to mimic Yoda's introduction in Empire.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎