Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Black Friday or Cyber Monday worth it this year?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Was Black Friday or Cyber Monday worth it this year?

It is hard to believe that the mass chaos called Black Friday really started up in the late 2000's. I remember back in the day when the only stores that were open during Thanksgiving were gas stations/convenience stores and a few restaurants. I remember working in a town and having to order extra can goods and beer for the convenience stores in before Black Friday and as usual would still sell out of cranberries (even though I over-ordered every year) and beer sells your high. I would usually work at lest 20 -23 hours on Thanksgiving to give the other workers with family a chance to stay at home (plus that big paycheck was always nice).

Now convenience store have lost this bonus cash day due to Black Friday since Wal-Mart now opens up on Thanksgiving. I have since retired and yes I still go to Black Friday but this year it just didn't seem all that great. As I said before I make it a point to get to know the employees of the stores I go to. It does go back to working and being a register-jockey for many years. Just being nice to them and carrying on a simple conversation with them opens many doors down the road. Since most of them know me, I have been allowed to get in of the sneak peek of what is going on sale. This comes in handy when buying DVD/Games. I usually get to scoop of what is on sale and where they are located in that section. Well this year I went to Wal-Mart to see what dvd they had and for the first time I was greatly disappointed. Most of the sets they put out this year I had already bought (CW Flash, Arrow, Walking Dead, etc) and the rest of the dvds were older than I have seen in the past, I saw Magic Mike I sitting on the shelf for $2 and it came out on dvd in 2012. So for the first time I did not go into the dvd section (and I could have been the first in line). I still laugh at the people who try there best to get those Black Friday TVs. Most of them are made in China or the other knock countries and they just do not last as long.

My family was there and all we got were blue jeans and a few items for my one year old nephew (paw patrols). We were in and out in under 20 minutes when it started (most of that time was trying to check out) and all this was on Thursday night. On Black Friday my family wanted to go to the bigger city just to go and as I went into Target I could not tell you want was on sale. It looked like a regular day on Black Friday. We went into a few other retail stores that have Black Friday ads but it just did not look the same.

After spending more time on Friday than I car to count we really did not come home with much, which was fine because I was waiting for Cyber Monday. Well today is Cyber Monday and again I was left wondering were the sales were. I did buy a little for Target online but it was only three action figures that I could have passed on if not for the Buy 2 get one free. I checked out other action figures sites and what they had on sale I already had. I did finally bought a series of vintage DC Comics on comixology on the Buy one get one free sale.

I fear that most of those sales days will get worse since more and more stores are offering sales starting on Nov.1 It seems that instead of two days of sales we will now be getting two months of sales that are just hard to keep an eye on for those great finds.

As for me, I had already done my shopping for the holidays. What I did get my nephew will not be playing with for a few more years. So for me I think this was the last year I will be attending the Black Thursday/Friday sales and I just may even stop the Cyber Monday. After saying this I am curious what others went through on this weekend of sales?
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Ah, the feeling of putting your foot in someones back to get a 60" tv is too much to pass up. I don't even need it, I already have one. I just go back and return it on Saturday. It's all about the challenge and the competition. "Excuse me sir, you have all the Mandy wets her pants dolls in your carriage and thats all my daughter wants for Christmas." "They'll be on ebay this afternoon buddy, if you loved your kid more, you would have done what I did, eat your family Thanksgiving dinner on the sidewalk outside Walmart to secure your place in line, and spend all year teaching your wife and kids how to run blocker while you get the good stuff." Ya gotta make sacrifices if you wanna succeed on Black Friday.

When my son tipped over the old lady on the scooter to block the crowd, and then my daughter took out the one guy that was able to hurdle her, with a carriage, it brought a tear to my eye. It was a beautiful, family bonding, experience. Don't hate the player, I'm simply playing the game by the rules that have been set.

BTW, Mandy dolls are $100 each, BIN on ebay. Merry Christmas!!!!!!! ;-)
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I ordered tons of blu rays for $3.99 with free shipping from bestbuy.com. I think I got every Bond film and a bunch of others.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I only picked up a few things but did so on Sunday. I got Flash Season one for $10.00 at Target. And then there were some discounted toys we had on our list for our grandson so those got picked up as well. But we avoided the skirmishes Friday morning. Me and the wife did go out Thursday night just to observe. It's always more fun when you don't have to get anything.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

On the Norm Unless it is absolutely necessary I do most of my shopping online, with that being said... You will never find me in a store on thanksgiving Thursday or Black Friday... I don't care if they are giving away free 100 inch flat screen TV's... I think it's disgusting how people act in the stores those days... Cyber Monday now is a different thing... I got some very good deals off on Christmas presents. So I'm a Yaaa!!! For Cyber Monday.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

"Ah, the feeling of putting your foot in someones back to get a 60" tv is too much to pass up."

OWW! That was you? My back still hurts!

Comment

• WannabeMego
              Made in the USA
              • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
              On the Norm Unless it is absolutely necessary I do most of my shopping online, with that being said... You will never find me in a store on thanksgiving Thursday or Black Friday... I don't care if they are giving away free 100 inch flat screen TV's... I think it's disgusting how people act in the stores those days... Cyber Monday now is a different thing... I got some very good deals off on Christmas presents. So I'm a Yaaa!!! For Cyber Monday.
              Right there with ya...I don't give a damn if it's FREE...you won't see me there...period!!!

FYI...for those Shopping Online with Amazon, Best Buy, and/or New Egg and are looking for the Best Possible Deals for stuff on your Wish/Watch List(s), I strongly suggest you use:

CamelCamelCamel Products/Services:

Amazon: http://camelcamelcamel.com/
              Besy Buy: http://camelbuy.com/
              NewEgg: http://camelegg.com/

For a Brief moment on Nov 25th, the Blu-Ray of 'Batman: The Complete Television Series' (Limited Edition) went for $99:

I've been using it for a few years now and I've almost always gotten my items at my targets prices.

Hope this Helps Someone.

Good Luck.

~ Tom
              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

It was nuts on Thanksgiving. I'm just glad I was in the back having to clean up instead of out on the sales floor.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

On a related note:

I was really upset that Nickelodeon began showing the nockoff version of Krypto the Superdog with the Dog Stars. I refused to get watch them until the nephew has decided that he likes the show. It is one of the few shows that he will sit through without being fussy. So when Black Thursday came and Wal-Mart had the Paw Patrol base on sale for half off I new I would have to get it. While standing there somebody was looking at the set and asked the Wal-Mart employee "If this is was the Dog Stars show were is Superdog and Batdog?" I had to turn around and tried my best to hold in my laughter. It was nice to know that it wasn't just me who noticed this.

If DC Animated had showed the show on there own channel like Disney/Marvel does there would be more cartoons still be aired instead of hoping that Cartoon Network would show them knowing that there track record with licensed shows is not good.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Duncan
                    Museum focus-groupie
                    • Jun 27, 2009

We were out on Thur AM & PM, Fri AM, Sat AM & Sun AM...and bought very little. I mainly just wanted the free Downton Abbey stuff @ World Market. Thur AM was fine. Meijer was already open and they spread their doorbusters around the store, so you get in line for one item with no running/pushing/buttholery. Thur night we went out at 9, by when the frenzy had died down. I hit Target, TRU & WalMart, and only Target was busy. On Saturday, I took a pic in the middle of the area's largest mall at 10:30 AM when it was vacant. So, reports indicated that brick & mortar crowds were down while on-line sales were up, and our experience supported that. Also, FWIW, I wasn't all that impressed with on-line deals. I got some heavily discounted games & DVDs, but nothing serious. Same with the wife.

Comment

• megocrazy
                      Museum Trouble Maker
                      • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                      "Ah, the feeling of putting your foot in someones back to get a 60" tv is too much to pass up."

OWW! That was you? My back still hurts!
                      I did say Merry Christmas.
                      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I think I spent less on Black Friday weekend than I have in years (in a large part due to the fact that I've hugely cut down on the amount of DVDs/Blu-Rays I buy, I used to buy tons of those on BF). This year I just bought one Blu-ray, plus a stupidly cheap Roku and Kindle Fire tablet.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎