X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Can you still watch cartoons?

Since cartoons are made to appeal to kids, do you still watch them as adults?
    I can't watch them very offend, which is sad because I wish I had streaming, YouTube, or DVD seasons as a kid when i couldn't find all the Super friends and the Marvel series like Spiderman (1981). oddly enough I can watch Family Guy mostly because its funny and loosly set in the real world.
    If you still like cartoons which animation style buggs you?
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

I still laugh at Looney Tunes (which now I think about it were for adults too). I actually made myself a reminder yesterday to watch some Foghorn Leghorn based off this image...
    download (11).jpg
    I like the new DC cartoon movies for the most part (but I suppose those are more "grown up"). Love the old Spider-Man cartoons from the 60s. Something grates me the wrong way with the new Marvel cartoons. I think I said before that I cant make it through a whole episode of Ultimate Spider-Man but probably would have loved it as a kid. Hmm, style that bugs me would be would be bad computer animation (stiff and awkward moving like the adult shorts with those two phony Doctors which might be purposely bad), but I dont think they use that in children' cartoons.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

i watched the whole 2 series of the avengers cartoon recently where iron man has a stupid voice and is a kind of comedy buffoon.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Very timely post, Mr. Marion, since tomorrow is Saturday morning. I have quite a huge collection of 70s Saturday morning goodness. But I guess if I had to pick an animation style that bugged me, it was the Marvel Men cartoons. I know it was lifted right from the comic pages, and although I can appreciate the style, I do wish it was actually animated. Someone help me out, what is that style of animation called?
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

It's very hard for me to watch classic cartoons - even ones I used to love.

I still love Yellow Submarine though --- and I did enjoy a few classic Disney movies they showed on Disney Channel a few weeks ago including Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

South Park and Archer still do it for me.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
              Career Member
              • Jan 13, 2009

I watch South Park fairly often still. Loved King of the Hill. Should not have been cancelled IMO. I DVR the Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man and Star Wars Rebels mainly because I feel like we are spoiled with riches as 70's comic kids, getting all this media. I'd be ignoring my childhood if I didn't take advantage of all the media we get today! I'll watch them if there is nothing else to do. They're not great, but I love the homages to my childhood!

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

Flintstones, Space Ghost, Herculoids, Spidey and His Amazing Friends, Tarzan and the Super 7.

THOSE were cartoons!
                JediJaida

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                  Time to feed the cat
                  • Dec 30, 2007

I never miss the new Scooby Doo ones when they come out.

Comment

• SentientApe
                    Career Member
                    • May 1, 2014

I still watch cartoons... namely, Superman (Max Fleischer), Rocky & Bullwinkle, Underdog, Roger Ramjet, Popeye, Schoolhouse Rock, Hoppity Hooper, The Three Stooges, Spiderman, Gumby, Felix the Cat... And a whole bunch of other old classics, all of which I have on DVD.

More contemporary cartoons I have on DVD include The Real Ghostbusters and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures, but possibly the best animated series of all is the more recent Jackie Chan Adventures which, of course, I have watched almost religiously -- and which has earned me a large portion of my internet fame.

I'm not counting the numerous animated movies I also own (Wizards, Yellow Submarine, several Justice League features) and I know the above is only a partial list of the cartoons I own, but yes -- I clearly watch cartoons.

Oops... I forgot: I also own Sealab 2021 and The Venture Brothers, and have been picking up all the seasons of Archer as they have been released -- all of which I absolutely love.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                      Career Member
                      • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                      But I guess if I had to pick an animation style that bugged me, it was the Marvel Men cartoons. I know it was lifted right from the comic pages, and although I can appreciate the style, I do wish it was actually animated. Someone help me out, what is that style of animation called?
                      If you're talking about the Marvel Super Heroes from 1966, the animation style would be called barely. Shows like Clutch Cargo and Space Angel used "Syncro-Vox"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

I can still watch the 60s HB adventure stuff (Space Ghost, Jonny, Birdman), Flintstones, Jetsons, HB and Looney Toons shorts, the Bruce Timm DC stuff, Avengers EMH, Venture Bros, 67 Spidey and Marvel Superheroes, Fleischer Popeye and Superman. Absolutely can't thru any 70s stuff like Super Friends or Godzilla that I watched as a kid. It seems really dated and bland to me.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Saturday morning has changed!

Seriously though, not as big on the vintage stuff these days, so little time, still love the Timm Justice Leagues now and then.

As for Animation, sure! Bob's Burgers, Simpsons (mostly reruns now), Rick and Morty , Venture Bros and Archer are fun. Adventure Time is mental, as is the Regular Show.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

not much modern kids stuff. I do like Star Wars Rebels and watch it. could not get into Guardians of the Galaxy at all, not even one episode. I do find it hard to sit through the old Superfriends cartoons and the like, I think I have 3 seasons I bought and could not get into so some have never even been opened. Looney tunes is timeless. so are many of the Disney movies. as far as animations styles that annoy me, I have to say the last few Batman series that were out - The batman, and Brave and the Bold. I tried to like them, I really did, but the style just was not my thing

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

I have most of my favorites on DVD...the original Jonny Quest, Star Trek, Super Friends, Scooby Doo, Defenders of the Earth and Transformers.
                              But my favorite above them all is He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. The opening sequence still gives me goosebumps.
                              I also have a lot of respect for Filmation for keeping animation here after every other studio had sold out.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎