Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel Retro Action figures - customizing advice?...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CKMBDavis
    • Nov 21, 2013

Mattel Retro Action figures - customizing advice?...

Over the past year or so, I've been lucky enough to piece together a majority of the Mattel Retro Action DC figure line. As such, I'm interested in making some customs and I'd like them to look reasonably compatible with the Retro Action figs.

Since they do have a distinctly different look than Megos, any advice on what body styles would mostly resemble the Retro Action look (any from CTVT, for example)? And on a related note, what would one suggest as far as getting costumes and outfits made? Is there anyone here one would recommend? I'm not too worried about heads as I've customized, sculpted, and even molded many of my own from years of customizing wrestling figures. Outfits though, especially cloth ones, are definitely out of my comfort zone.

Any advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

have you tried putting an original mego suit on one to see if it fits.i've seen pictures of the green lantern with mego boots on so they fit ok unless they removed the feet.they don't look much different size wise.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

If you're wanting to stick with the Retro Action body which is a big part of that look in the series, I would go out to Amazon and just grab some low priced figures from that run and part them out. There are several figures that run as low as $5 and change, which is at or below cost for most bodies you can purchase specifically for customizing.

Comment

• CKMBDavis
        • Nov 21, 2013

I've not had the opportunity to try a Mego outfit on a Retro Action body, so I'm not sure how well they fit although one would think they'd be ok. As for bodies, I have considered ordering some of the lower priced figures specifically for customizing, in fact that's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm more concerned at this point in regards to the clothing.
        Thanks for the input!

Comment

• daz71
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2014

if the bodies are the same size dr.mego suits would fit i hear the ctvt clothes are on the small side so maybe stick with doc.

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

Actually I was just thinking about switch a Black Adam head to a Type S body. Is that easy or is it trouble?
            Also wondering which paint remover is best for the Mattel heads. Sorry to hijack, but I thought these questions were pretty on topic.

Comment

• daz71
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by MysteryWho
              Actually I was just thinking about switch a Black Adam head to a Type S body. Is that easy or is it trouble?
              Also wondering which paint remover is best for the Mattel heads. Sorry to hijack, but I thought these questions were pretty on topic.
              white spirit removes paint from heads just not marker.

Comment

• jayraytee
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2011

Ive taken retro actuion heads and costumes and put them on a type S body, that works great. The only problem is getting the retro action head off, without cracking open the retro action torso. They put a hard plastic piece in the neck plug which pretty much doesn't let you successfully pull the heads out of the torso.
                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I hear soaking in hot water for a few minutes to soften it up, then try removing, I'm sure there is a way
                  you can try that or I'm sure others here have better ideas.

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Blow dryer maybe? To warm up the plastic?
                    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• CKMBDavis
                      • Nov 21, 2013

When I was customizing wrestling figures, the "heat and pop" method worked best (using hot water although I'm sure a blow dryer would work just as well).

Regarding clothing, the Retro Action figures looked to have more of a brighter, silky look to the fabric and was more form fitting where as Megos were always a little looser. Does anyone know what type of fabric it was?

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Pretty sure the RA figures use some sort of spandex blend. It's a really cool material, albeit a bit fragile.

Comment

• daz71
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by CKMBDavis
                          When I was customizing wrestling figures, the "heat and pop" method worked best (using hot water although I'm sure a blow dryer would work just as well).

Regarding clothing, the Retro Action figures looked to have more of a brighter, silky look to the fabric and was more form fitting where as Megos were always a little looser. Does anyone know what type of fabric it was?
                          i think they were a polyester /cotton jersey mix i can't find any of that material anywhere a lot of the stuff today has a shine to it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

^ The Mattel fabric is a variant spandex called matte milliskin, it has a tighter weave (therefore smoother) and duller finish than traditional spandex. It it is also thinner than typical spandex. It does not contain cotton. Spandex House online carries various colors of it.

I will admit to not caring much for it, it snags easily and doesn't approximate classic Mego single-knit well. But, costumes featuring milliskin would blend with existing retro-action figures.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• daz71
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              ^ The Mattel fabric is a variant spandex called matte milliskin, it has a tighter weave (therefore smoother) and duller finish than traditional spandex. It it is also thinner than typical spandex. It does not contain cotton. Spandex House online carries various colors of it.

I will admit to not caring much for it, it snags easily and doesn't approximate classic Mego single-knit well. But, costumes featuring milliskin would blend with existing retro-action figures.
                              oh i thought he was asking what original mego clothes were made of i forgot he was on about the mattel figures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎