X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

First Print Star Wars VHS...

I've noticed that there is a collecting Star Wars fan base that want the first print VHS tapes. I happen to have one that I bought a few years ago and it is in a hard case and has 'Video Rental Library' on the box and each one has a serial number. I was viewing mine today, because it will be going up on Ebay, and noticed that there is a block of lettering that is inherent in the print at the top left of the screen. I don't know if CBS/Fox did this on purpose or if it was a mess up on there part. Anyway, here are a few screen captures from my tape:

My question is this: Does anyone have an original first print they can check? Is this normal on this VHS? Thanks.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The second word looks like DAVID

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Is this the one you have?

The first release video rental issue shouldn't say CBS/FOX on the box.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

That looks to be a case of old tape/new tech. The block type is from an old A/B mastering station. Can't tell what it says, but I would think it's to denote the pan-n-scan decisions.

When a print is edited/mastered, it is framed within different boxes. The inside frame is the default viewable image for playback, the outside frame is the default area for the entire image. So if you play a low-resolution image on a higher-resolution monitor, you will see the entire image, not just what was centered.

EDIT: Considering how you bought it and how many SW tapes were in circulation, it could have been someone messing around with an 80's/90's home video editor. Tapes that old wouldn't have copyright guards on them.
        Last edited by hedrap; Nov 22, '15, 7:19 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

This is the actual cover/case of the video I'm going to put up:

It's not CBS/Fox...it's just 20th Century Fox. Serial numbers match from the tape/case cover to the VHS cassette in the case.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Okay, cool. That is the correct first issue box.

Here's a video clip. It shouldn't have any numbers or lettering visible in the picture.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

That you tube clip is way too clean to be from 1982/83. I know the one I have is legit because of the Serial numbers on both the cassette and the box. I was just wondering about the upper left of the screen shots that I posted. I'll take a pic of the tape itself and the serial number. BTW, the reels in the cassette are not junkie like the made later on. There are metal pins in the middle of the reels not plastic. I'll take the pics and post.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                That you tube clip is way too clean to be from 1982/83.
                Okay, here's a different clip. You can see in the video that rental one is the actual tape being played.

In this video I'll unbox my newest ebay purchase for you..... The first ever release of Star Wars on VHS, released in 1982. As an added bonus I'll put it in...

Again, there should be no numbers visible.

What Hedrap said makes sense. Your equipment could be showing more of the image than should have been natively visible at the time or somebody messed with it.
                Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 22, '15, 9:59 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

It might be that I played it on my VCR through my DVR/DVD recorder and then out to a flatscreen TV. Maybe it's showing more that can't be seen in Pan and Scan/ 4:3 ratio?

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

Here are the pics of the actual tape. I took a pic of the takeup reel and where the tape is secured to the takeup reel is a piece that slides off if you should need to resecure it if it snaps. That pin in the middle is metal and not plastic like most of the VHS cassettes that were made in the late 80's:

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Blue Meanie; Nov 22, '15, 9:30 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                      It might be that I played it on my VCR through my DVR/DVD recorder and then out to a flatscreen TV. Maybe it's showing more that can't be seen in Pan and Scan/ 4:3 ratio?
                      I'm thinking that might be the issue. I think it has to do with overscan, most CRT televisions back in the day would never be able to show the entire available image on the tape, so those characters would have never been seen. But due to the way you are viewing the tape, the complete available image is shown, which is why you see that.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                        That looks to be a case of old tape/new tech. The block type is from an old A/B mastering station. Can't tell what it says, but I would think it's to denote the pan-n-scan decisions.

When a print is edited/mastered, it is framed within different boxes. The inside frame is the default viewable image for playback, the outside frame is the default area for the entire image. So if you play a low-resolution image on a higher-resolution monitor, you will see the entire image, not just what was centered.
                        I think this is exactly what is happening. That's pretty funky. I have a few of the late printings before the re-masters. I wonder if they have the same thing. Gonna have to check those too. Thanks for that info.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                          To Fear is Not Logical...
                          • Feb 17, 2008

The lettering looks like it says "FOXVID S" and could it be that the tape is a S-VHS recording/tape?
                          It's all good!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎