Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunnar Hansen has died. (Leatherface - Texas Chain Saw Massacre)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Gunnar Hansen has died. (Leatherface - Texas Chain Saw Massacre)

Gunnar Hansen, who played the iconic villain Leatherface in the original "Texas Chain Saw Massacre," died Saturday of pancreatic cancer at his home in Maine, his agent said. He was 68.

Hansen starred in the 1974 film that has become a classic among horror-movie aficionados and spawned a series of sequels. In the movie, friends visiting their grandfather's house are hunted by Leatherface, a chain-saw wielding maniac.

Hansen's character in the movie "is one of the most iconic evil figures in the history of cinema," said his agent, Mike Eisenstadt, who confirmed the death.

In 2013, Hansen published his book "Chain Saw Confidential," which gave readers a behind-the-scenes look at how the film was made, Eisenstadt said.

Hansen lived in Maine for about 40 years, where he worked as an actor and writer, Eisenstadt said.

At the time of his death, Hansen was at work on a film called "Death House," his agent said. Hansen was a writer and producer of the film, which the Internet Movie Database says is about how a secret government facility becomes ground zero for the most horrific prison break in the history of mankind. The film is scheduled to come out next year, Eisenstadt said.

Hansen was born in Reykjavik, Iceland. He came to the U.S. and studied at the University of Texas, where he majored in English and Scandinavian Studies, Eisenstadt said.

Surviving Hansen is his partner of 13 years, Betty Tower.
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre is one of my all time favorite films. Gunner seemed like a good guy. RIP.

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

Rip...Gunnar and thanks for the memories,you scared the crap out of me.
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Too bad. Great performance, and he will be missed.

Comment

• daz71
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2014

sad news loved the original texas chainsaw massacre.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

One of the nicest guys you could meet.

He walked away from movies shortly after TCM until roughly the mid-80's, so over a decade. IIRC, he had no idea how famous Leatherface became as people were actively searching for him. I'd have to read his book and see if that matches, but it was the story he used to tell in the 90's.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Chainsaw Confidential is the best book about the movie. A page-turner, very well-written by an intelligent author.
              Feels a bit like the making of Apocalypse Now, people who slowly descend in real madness while shooting a film. The only one absent from the book is Hooper, who pushed his people to the absolute edge without compassion.
              I would have liked to have met Hansen...
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Met him once, he signed my Psychotronic Film Guide for free, struck me as a really genuine guy
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                  Chainsaw Confidential is the best book about the movie. A page-turner, very well-written by an intelligent author.
                  Feels a bit like the making of Apocalypse Now, people who slowly descend in real madness while shooting a film. The only one absent from the book is Hooper, who pushed his people to the absolute edge without compassion.
                  I would have liked to have met Hansen...
                  Hooper's always been haunted by huge drug allegations. I can't remember the gigs he lost out on, (Twilight Zone Movie possibly...) but the big one is Spielberg's ghost-directing of Poltergeist. Excuse the pun, or keep it. Up to you.

Comment

• Drzsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 9, 2011

Gunnar was the nicest celebrity Ive ever met,truly.RIP

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡