Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Reverse Flash in the works for the Retro Action line?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Was Reverse Flash in the works for the Retro Action line?

I've always wondered if the Reverse Flash was a potential villain in the Mattel Retro-Action series before they cancelled that successful run of figures. When I think what that figure might have looked like, I think of Batman89's INCREDIBLE custom. I wonder if Paul can tell us if he was in the works and if they would have followed along similar lines.

• puckace
    Museum Super Collector
    • Feb 5, 2009

Wow that looks sweet! That would have been a definite buy for me.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Holy cow....that's an awesome job.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

Thanks guys for the compliments!
        Thanks Tom for digging that pic up! I had fun doing that.
        Unfortunately, the Yellow Dupli-Color Vinyl Paint was discontinued.
        I am using brush on vinyl yellow now, but it is not as smooth of a finish.
        The boots were done in the red vinyl spray paint as well.

vinylfabric.jpg

I would have liked to see Mattel continue with the Retro-Action Superheroes line too! I really liked most of them.
        I always wondered why they didn't do Reverse-Flash in that wave.

Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

I can't remember if he was on the list. I know the RC Hawkman and Firestorm were the 2 I wanted most. Dr. Fate was close too though he's always been a farely easy custom to pull off. That seems like so long ago.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

I briefly saw the pictures of the unreleased figures EMCE/Mattel produced. Wish I nabbed the picture as it got taken down. I made a Reverse Flash with CAW parts.

Comment

• TomStrong
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2011

Those look great! I liked the Mattel figures and purchased every one. I too would like to see the unmade figures. It would be super awesome if Doc could offer the parts but I don't know the legalities of all that.

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

There were no parts made. They never got past the prototype stage. Everything was custom printed and assembled here for the presentation to Mattel/DC, then they send it to China and they set it for mass production. Heads are resin and hand painted, suits are custom printed, just like doing a custom figure. That Mattel line really had a lot of potential. When they screwed up the original body design it made one bad first impression. If a figure is going to look like it's squatting to take a dump, it should at least be able to hold itself up while taking that dump. The GA figure was well done and looks great on a standard mego body. The Mattel body has such a MOTU/Big Jim look to it that just doesn't look right IMO. But that is what Mattel's guys know. The most durable body I've seen in mass production was the Famous Covers bodies. Except for a handful of characters they were an abomination. Way over exaggerated muscles and who ever approved the head sculpts should be dragged out into a parking lot and stoned. There were exceptions. Sabretooth, Red Skull, Green Goblin were a few that pulled it off. But there's no denying the overall body design was well done. Other than Mr. Fantastics stretch arms, you hear almost no complaints about broken arms and legs that are so common in the 8" figure conversation. The majority of the suits were also well done. I know if you soak the hawkeye suit and let it dry, it takes some of the stretch out of it when it dries. Combined with Brian Leitners custom head, Docs GA bow, purple hands, and purple roll over top boots, makes for a pretty Megoesque looking figure. Do the same conversion for Black Widow, and a re-rooted supergirl head and back it with the FC Hulk, simply because it fits the scale almost perfectly, and that's about as good, a comic accurate Avengers set, as there is, with the Mego look.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Mr. Fantastic wasn't Famous Covers, it was Hasbro. And it was usually broken hips that were the problem. I bought one still in the box at KB like that.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

^^^

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

This was the one Thunderbolt was referring to. With mine, the arm was always busted at the swivel joint because of the way it was packaged. The confined space created too much stress on that part which caused it to crack and break off.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by megowgsh
                        ^^^

no stretch arms on that one. Its the Hasbro one that Target passed on at the end of the Signature Series run.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^Target exclusive I think, or was that Electro & Spidey?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

You're right it was hasbro's not the FC.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎