Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batman '66 head count is really impressive.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

When I can finally get a Gordon and display Gordon along with O'Hara & the Dynamic Duo, I'll be one happy guy.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Agent4125
      Museum Super Collector
      • Aug 23, 2007

I collect them all

I really appreciate that they are creating such an extensive line.
      Who would have thought that we would get characters that were
      only in one or two episodes, such as Bookworm and Mad Hatter?

I also like many of the variants, e.g. Pink Cowl Batman, Opera Joker or Boxing Riddler.
      They are a lot of fun!
      Yes, the number of variants is a bit high, and some of them are not so great.
      But if they are necessary to keep the line going, and we still get new characters too, then that's ok I guess.

Comment

• longscarf72
        • Jul 20, 2011

I'm still hoping for an Eli Wallach Mr. Freeze...

Comment

• Agent4125
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by rlkrefft
          ... would love to see at least 50 figures in the line. ...
          Head count is now 51
          40. Surf’s Up Batman
          41. Surf’s Up Joker
          42. Surf’s Up Chief O’Hara
          43. Surf’s Up Barbara Gordon
          44. Barbara Gordon (Bride)
          45. Batman („Breather“ Variant)
          46. Robin („Breather“ Variant)
          47. Batgirl (EC Exclusive)
          48. Batman (Heroes in Peril 2)
          49. Robin (Heroes in Peril 2)
          50. Alfred (Heroes in Peril 2)
          51. Penguin (Heroes in Peril 2)

But still no Catwoman or Commissioner Gordon... and no Eli Wallach Mr. Freeze ...

Let's hope that we will see something new before the end of the year.

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

I was "picking and choosing" but I have extended what I am buying with this line because I love the show so much. Still not much interest in variants or "civilian" figures but I am pretty much in for any new villains. Need Bookworm & Tut to complete the current releases. It was interesting that Shame actually had two guns while the rest of the villians had no extra accesories.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Agent4125
              Head count is now 51
              40. Surf’s Up Batman
              41. Surf’s Up Joker

But still no Catwoman or Commissioner Gordon... and no Eli Wallach Mr. Freeze ...

Yes 51 total figures so many variants and no Catwoman as of yet, there's definitely a criminal element involved,
              maybe by the holidays lightning will strike.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Agent4125
                Head count is now 51
                40. Surf’s Up Batman
                41. Surf’s Up Joker

Yeah but without variants it's only really 16 figures in total maybe 18.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                  Only 18 of the line are unique headsculpts, the rest are all variants. There will probably be more variants too. They've got to use up overstock somehow. Surprised Alfred as Batman has not happened yet.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                    Forgive me if I am inferring negativity in your post (and the posts of others) but I am reading it with a snarky tone: "ONLY 16...MAYBE 18 (figures in total)" and that ticks me off.

Do you mean 18 figures like the same number of boxed Mego Action Jackson outfits?

Do you mean 18 figures like four MORE than the 14 characters in the original Mego Star Trek line?

Do you mean 18 figures like eight MORE than the 10 characters in the original Mego Planet of the Apes line?

Do you mean 18 figures like almost the same amount of characters in the original Mego DC Universe line? (Not just the "Batman" line mind you, but the whole freaking DC Universe!)

Do you mean 18 figures like five MORE than the 13 characters in the original Mego Marvel Universe line?

What the heck will make you happy? You ungrateful sons-of-biscuit-eaters, the whole-dang-lot-of you!

Are you telling me in the 1970s we as Trek fans, or POTA fans, or super-hero fans wouldn't have loved to have had another 30 characters in those respective lines regardless of whether they were variants? Of course we would have! And, you're trying to tell us that variants don't COUNT?!?!?!

Constructive criticism is one thing. Making a statement like, "I hope they make (insert character name here)" is one thing. But, snide comments about the "true" number of original characters being produced is absolutely unproductive.

If you don't like what's being produced make a custom or, better yet, start your own company! Invest your own money and time and try to get licensing and molds made and see how easy it is. I know a couple guys here who did just that. And, guess what? It ain't so easy. Just ask 'em!

We are experiencing a Mego Renaissance right now at this very moment in the history of the known universe and you people are nit-picking over what constitutes a truly original figure? PA-LEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

We all should be rejoicing over this moment and be happy that any Mego-like toys are being produced. But, instead, many of us are mired in our own misery as to what is NOT being produced. Shame on you. Shame on you all.

(Please excuse me now, won't you, while I go work on a custom of a character I wish some company would have made in a factory but didn't. Not only will doing this fill a void in my collection, but will serve as relaxation after getting fired up over the churlish behavior I find in this thread.)
                    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

couldnt have said it better myself.
                      Best post I've read in a while.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

After I visited the FTC offices, two things became very apparent to me. One, there is probably no one who loves the Mego tradition more than these guys. Second, their love for Batman '66 is everywhere on display. Huge framed pics line their hallways. And we're not talking about two or three. They went down the hallway and around the bend. I couldn't count them all. But more importantly these guys are INVESTED. It's easy to type a throwaway comment that only requires two minutes of your time for the satisfaction of an emotion that may or may not be grounded. It's something else to invest your very livelihood on your passion and hope people line up to support you. When you consider the big manufacturers shy away from it, that should amplify the obvious risk the smaller guy has to take to satisfy this niche market. It wouldn't take one or two of these companies taking a knee to obliterate the ReMego industry and place us back into extinction. So while I get and respect demands of design, I don't think anyone complaining about the volume of output are looking at the bigger picture and certainly not with the proper context of history when most of us from that original demographic had to be satisfied with was offered.

In 1972, Mego sold 2.5 million Action Jacksons alone. Yet their output of new and licensed characters through their entire history in this format was eclipsed some time ago by FTC. Staggering when you consider today's market is not a fraction of the size Mego existed in. So FTC is absolutely in this with both hands and feet. And while their variants may not be to everyone's liking, few consider the business necessity that may be required in pushing these along with new packaging to sell that inventory. Cheap profit? Try necessary evil for survival. These guys are trying everything they can to move stock and keep their dream alive of making more Mego characters. I can only speak for myself when it comes to purchasing and I can tell all of you, I have been remodeling my basement for several years now and the pegboards I am having to put up to hold these lines is off the charts. Honestly. I had to pump the brakes when I started seeing the sheer volume of it. I hope to be finalizing things by Christmas and I'll share some photos, but I can say without exception, FTC is putting out a monstrous amount of product. I never dared dream this much. Not even close.

Comment

• warlock664
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 15, 2009

To megowgsh and MIB41:
                          Bravo!

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                            Museum Patron
                            • Apr 3, 2015

Great post, MIB41!

FTC has been a lot of fun for me, and I'll never forget that moment when that first retro Batman wave arrived. I couldn't believe how they pulled it off. I was eight again, in my old room at my parents house, and Robin's feet even rattled inside his boots just exactly like they used to.

I was completely oblivious to the world of customs and so on. I just thought Megos were something from my kidhood that was gone forever and I couldn't explain. And now they're back and there are new ones and the aftermarket has come way down and if I want it, I can get it.

FTC has made some mistakes and sometimes their timetable is too slow. But I for one give them credit for bringing this world back into my life. Others kept the faith this whole time, yes, but FTC made it affordable and easy to get.

People love to complain, and that's fine. I don't think FTC is above criticism. But hey - anyone who wanted to do a better job? What was stopping them for 35 years? When were they finally gonna make their move?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I love the line, just the variants do nothing at all for me, and honestly, a Joker in a different suit or a Batman with a election poster are not really much in the way of effort. I was looking at the list and just counting the unique headsculpts, not looking at the numerous Batmen, Jokers and other guys dressed up in different suits. I would feel the same way about Trek if there were variants like shirtless Kirk, evil Kirk, drunk Kirk or whatever. I may be wrong in Austin's eyes, but that's his opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

The variants don't bother me at all, if I don't like them I don't buy them. I love that I can get ?-suited Riddler or both pink-cowled Batman and disguised Mad Hatter (love David Wayne's Jervis Tetch). If some seem lazy (purple bags, bound heroes), I just move on to something else.

Where I do reserve the right to express concern is on fabrication and design, as I would as a customer for anything in which I'm interested. For reMego, I'm the target customer. My opinion matters. Luckily, with the exception of one figure, this line has been well-crafted and mostly very faithful to the show. I'm glad to have them.
                                Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 6, '16, 9:26 AM. Reason: typo
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎