X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Not going to happen.

The 8 inch scale falls with in Hasbro's license. Hasbro has failed several attempts at doing clothed dolls in a Mego style and more than likely have no interest in doing it ever again. The 8 scale would also be in conflict with their very successful 6 inch Black Series. I can't see them risking the success of the Black Series with a format that has always failed for them.

The Mego style is impractical for SW because of all the unique tooling it requires. A C3PO in a silk screened jumpsuit is not going to fly with a collector base that gets absolutely livid when a figure has a paint application slightly off. Not a chance SW collectors would accept a Chewbacca done like the BBP Bigfoot or a plush R2 with a child torso sewn into it like the BBP BSG Daggit.

Nostalgic SW collectors want Kenner, not Mego.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ovenmitt
      Persistent Member
      • May 26, 2009

So the only chance we ever had for Mego Star Wars 8" figures was back in 1977 if Mego had done them. I had all Kenner Star Wars but can always wonder about Megos.

Still saddest toy story Mego passing on Star Wars license which led to demise of Mego company itself.

If Mego had continued new additions to WGSH and not paid millions for every scifi project Mego would have survived.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Mego didn't go out of business because of passing on SW. Plenty of companies didn't get the SW license and did just fine. From what we have all learned from museum research was Mego was plagued by a lot of internal issues which actually lead to its bankruptcy

Nostalgia means different things to different people and the majority of SW collectors are just not nostalgic for Mego. When people think SW, they think Kenner. Just like when people think of 70s super hero toys they think of Mego.

The Mattel Real Ghostbusters figures were the best Retro Action figures they did. Best head sculpts, accessories and clothes. They looked great and were pretty good quality and still sold absolutely terribly because nostalgic Real Ghostbusters fans wanted the Kenner figures they grew up with in the 80s not something like what kids had in the 70s.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 11, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Not going to happen.

The 8 inch scale falls with in Hasbro's license. Hasbro has failed several attempts at doing clothed dolls in a Mego style and more than likely have no interest in doing it ever again. The 8 scale would also be in conflict with their very successful 6 inch Black Series. I can't see them risking the success of the Black Series with a format that has always failed for them.

The Mego style is impractical for SW because of all the unique tooling it requires. A C3PO in a silk screened jumpsuit is not going to fly with a collector base that gets absolutely livid when a figure has a paint application slightly off. Not a chance SW collectors would accept a Chewbacca done like the BBP Bigfoot or a plush R2 with a child torso sewn into it like the BBP BSG Daggit.

I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong here. I have friends that work at Hasbro and now that Disney will be taking over all Merchandise decisions in just a few short years, anything can happen. You can never say never. And on your HASBRO 6" black series conflict, Hasbro has already let multiple different Japanese companies make Star Wars figures in the exact same scale. Some even coming out at the exact same time as HASBRO.

Comment

• ovenmitt
            Persistent Member
            • May 26, 2009

Thanks, Mickey. When does Hasbro Star Wars AND Marvel licenses expire? I'd like to see Disney make the figures itself especially Megos!

I also did not like it when Warner renewed Mattel's DC license- no presence in toy aisles!

Maybe FTC can someday go retail stores!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The SH figuarts Star Wars modelkits/figures are exclusive to the Japanese market.

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 11, 2014

I'm not talking about the Model kits in anyway. Exclusive to Japan means nothing anymore. They are sold everywhere.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I love Star Wars all day long, and yet...

I just know Mego Star Wars would somehow be unsatisfying. Call me picky, I just don't think you can quite go back. They certainly wouldn't please everybody, that's for sure.

This will sound very strange but... If it never happens, I'd be okay with that.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

a Star Wars Mego set would be a crowd pleaser for many of us, and the poor house for some of us I think too,
                    but gotta love the idea.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 24, 2009

Star Wars in Mego scale is certainly a dream of mine! I have been resigned to the fact that I will probably just have to do customs to have a Star Wars Mego collection.

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        Not going to happen.

Totally agree. The Mego format just doesn't translate to the modern mass market. It is a format that most modern kids are not interested in. Likewise if you created a Mego line for the Mego collector market and when it came out it was 8" kenner style hard plastic figures with no cloth.. it wouldn't be accepted by that market because it wouldn't be Megoy enough. Each generation has their thing, whatever it was when they were kids and they loved. There are always exceptions to the rule, but we are talking mass market.

Star Wars Megos if they were done megoy enough to please the mego market would be rejected by the kid mass market. If they were done to please the kid mass market, they wouldn't be megoy enough for the mego collector market. Thats what you have had with all the other remego mass market lines. You can't please both.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 21, 2009

These would be great. Hope it happens; maybe by the movie's 40th anniversary in 2017.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Even though I love SW and Megos, I think you're overestimating the Power of this cross-over.
                            Mego-style is a small market, and kids these days aren't going for "retro-cloth".
                            These mock-ups look great, but I don't see them happening.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

There are plenty of items both SW and non that are marketed to adult collectors and they do just fine with sales. I personally can't see why SW cloth 8" couldn't be on the shelves next to the legions of bubbleheads, squat vinyl, and deformed plush. I'd sort of like to see Neca take a shot at it and see what they come up with.

Comment

• jayraytee
                                Career Member
                                • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by rche
                                There are plenty of items both SW and non that are marketed to adult collectors and they do just fine with sales. I personally can't see why SW cloth 8" couldn't be on the shelves next to the legions of bubbleheads, squat vinyl, and deformed plush. I'd sort of like to see Neca take a shot at it and see what they come up with.
                                They will make whatever will sell in a mass market.. bobble heads, posters, stickers, lunch boxes, etc. Mego style figures have not sold that well in mass market since the 70s/80s. They might work, but it's not a given. People have tried with the Marvel/DC lines which you would think would be big enough to carry the style line but they havn't done it. Is Star Wars big enough to carry a relatively unpopular line of products? Maybe? But who will grab the license for a huge risk?
                                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎