Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I would go for it only if they really, REALLY went for the vintage Mego style. To me, Mego is not an 8 inch super detailed version of a Sideshow Figure. Neca does nice stuff, but they are not Mego-like. I'm talking screen printed Threepio suit and oven mitts on Vader. But I know THAT would never happen in a billion years or 12 parsecs, whichever comes first.

And I'm sorry, but you'll never get friendlier, more toy-like headsculpts than the vintage Kenner 12 inch line. Since those, every Star Wars cloth "doll" has had a headsculpt that goes for all the actor's warts and wrinkles, and it just doesn't always work. Hot Toys, sure, but that's appealing to a different market. I think Mego head sculpts should be simple, and friendly looking.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Definitely a can of worms as to what each individual views as the 'Mego' style. I personally don't think Mego would have gone full screen print on 3p0, probably more along the lines of the Tin Man. Same for stormtroopers and other armored characters.

As for shelf viability; doesn't it really just break down to the profit margin for the toy companies. Hasbro weeded out their cloth 12" line and sold it to Sideshow. That line used the GI Joe buck which followed that path pretty soon after. So, it would seem for Hasbro at least, that the profit margin is much higher for the 6" black all plastic lines and the 12" 5 point articulated figures. So for the mass market lines, I agree that the 8" cloth won't fly. That leaves the boutique arena which was what I was referring to with the bobble heads and such.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I have a set of R2-D2 measuring cups (they are awesome, btw).
        Think Geek sells a tauntaun sleeping bag.
        Star Wars has always had its share of niche products that sell well... both from fans of that niche, and from Star Wars collectors who love the novelty item.

I suspect Werewolf is right. What keeps this from happening is the fact that Hasbro has the rights, and they aren't interesting in entering this market and competing with their other figure lines.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by ovenmitt
          Thanks, Mickey. When does Hasbro Star Wars AND Marvel licenses expire? I'd like to see Disney make the figures itself especially Megos!

I also did not like it when Warner renewed Mattel's DC license- no presence in toy aisles!

Maybe FTC can someday go retail stores!

Doubt Disney would start up their own toy company just to make toys. Would make more sense for them to buy either Hasbro or Mattel.

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

I am pretty sure FTC can make Star Wars mego, it all about paying the license fee. I mean look at all the Star Wars merchandise, everything imaginable.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

O
              Originally posted by jwyblejr
              Doubt Disney would start up their own toy company just to make toys. Would make more sense for them to buy either Hasbro or Mattel.
              Didn't Disney use Hasbro toys for the Star Tours stuff?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                Thanks, Mickey. When does Hasbro Star Wars AND Marvel licenses expire? I'd like to see Disney make the figures itself especially Megos!

I also did not like it when Warner renewed Mattel's DC license- no presence in toy aisles!

Maybe FTC can someday go retail stores!
                Hasbro's Marvel and Star Wars licenses have been recently extended to 2020.
                Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Nov 17, '15, 9:43 PM.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 21, 2009

I think Star Wars Megos would sell very well, and would open up Mego collecting to a wider audience who would get exposed to the Mego style with SW.

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by rche
                    I personally don't think Mego would have gone full screen print on 3p0, probably more along the lines of the Tin Man. Same for stormtroopers and other armored characters.
                    I sorta agree. I think they'd have taken an approach cloaser to what they did in Iron Man -- printed bodysuit ut with some details like boos and gloves. Or maybe they ould have gone all out, like on the knights, and done body suits with armored components. I see that more on a stormtrooper than 3PO, who I keep picturing in a gold lame screenprinted body suit with a big button stuck to the front over his belly and maybe gold boots.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

Mego had a 9" body used for Flash Gordon line that Mego could have used for 9" Darth Vader and Chewbacca (furry bodysuit like Mego Cowardly Lion). Stormtrooper could have been done like Mego Tin Man black cloth bodysuit and white plastic armor pieces. Same with C-3PO. Jawa could have used Munchikin body.

Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Tusken Raider, Death Squad Commander easily with cloth outfits. Princess Leia on Mego 8" female body. R2-D2 only original mold.

I could see Mego making the original 12 Star Wars figures Kenner made as Mego 8" and 9"! I still wish Mego had!
                      Last edited by ovenmitt; Nov 18, '15, 3:18 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

I've seen Star Wars apple bags and Kraft Dinner yet there's no market for 8 inch mego's?! I don't buy that for a second.

These would do well in stores if done right and would certainly be one for the bucket list to see these happen.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• drogge
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 24, 2009

I wonder if FTC or Diamond has presented this to Disney. It could be a retro market with only characters from the first three movies.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 12, 2014

Here's how they could do it. Disney could buy Hasbro, then they would have their own toy company, Disney Toys. Then they would have full control over the Marvel and Star Wars stuff. Then they could buy FTC and EMCE, since these guys are the reMego experts. And finally they could acquire the Type S body for their 8" line. While I am at it they could buy WB as well, so they can continue to make DC figures. They could also make movies where Han and Chewy team up with Batman and Spidey. Or, maybe Mego Star Wars will never happen.

Comment

• drogge
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 24, 2009

Sounds fantastic. Although I am leaning, Mego Star Wars will never happen. LOL. The Teenage Muntant Turtles, and Star Trek have teamed with Green Lantern and Batman, respectfully. So in the comic realm anyway, a Batman and Star Wars mash up is possible.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 26, 2009

Force Awakens makes me want Mego Star Wars figures even more and I cannot believe they still have not been done even for the new movie alone! There's EVERY other figure scale for Force Awakens!

I know Kenner/Hasbro made 160+ 12" Star Wars figures 1996-2005 for the 1st 6 movies, but I cannot believe Hasbro has not noticed the revival of Mego figures. Or if Disney could license the Mego 8" scale to FTC.

Today December 27 Force Awakens became the movie to reach 1 BILLION $$$ worldwide the fastest 12 days! You can't tell me there isn't room for Star Wars Megos in the Force Awakens merchandise bonanza. Disney missed Christmas like Kenner did in 1977!

Disney will make back the $4 BILLION it bought Lucasfilm for off Force Awakens alone. That deal was a steal!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎