X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Starwars Mego's

What could be from FTC? Hasbro? These are mock-ups,NOT REAL but they look Great!

12039586_151654838522645_8792827009919297073_n.jpg12046794_151655335189262_841767913276037065_n.jpg12049737_151655748522554_7407431224534081899_n.jpg12122494_151655945189201_1456921969053711824_n.jpg12046707_151656065189189_2235262014668075768_n.jpg
  • drogge
    Career Member
    • Jul 24, 2009

These would be a dream come true.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 12, 2014

Very Cool, I would buy all of them.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Source?

Comment

• KosmiCKennY
          Igo ugo we all go 4 mego!
          • May 13, 2004

I have found what i think is a perfect mego R2-D2 at walmart. It is a bop it, has anybody else noticed these?

Comment

• Gadgeteer
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 16, 2014

Yes, these would be the BEST thing ever!
            sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

If someone did get that line it'd be like printing money. Those mockups look great except for Leia's linebacker shoulders.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

Why doesn't Hasbro make Star Wars 8" Megos itself? Hasbro has the 12" SW figures for $10 and 6" SW Black figures for $20. How much would retail 8" SW Megos cost- $25-30? If Hasbro does not believe there is a retail market for Megos why not let FTC have the license like in 2005 when Hasbro gave Sideshow the 12" Star Wars cloth costumed figure license! 10 YEARS NOW!

Hasbro might opt to use its 9" figure body used for 1999 DC Super Heroes and JLA and 2006 Spider-Man Origins ALL cloth costumed! Only $15 each!

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I think Hasbro has become jaded with the Mego-retro concept like allot of big toy companies. Just like Toybiz, they jumped in with their own ideas on updating the Mego-themed figure and were mostly met with indifference. What makes it especially tough with Hasbro is they gave it a shot with both the DC and Marvel license. It's a very fickle marketplace and the Mego consumer doesn't wholly support a line unless it's done essentially how they want it. Add to that the tough quality control measures, and it can be a thankless endeavor. Nonetheless I would LOVE for that happen. FTC would do an incredible job, if Hasbro wanted to portion out that piece of the licensing.

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Leia's shoulder line definitely needs to be rethought, but the entire concept is excellent! I know that I would DEFINITELY (not defiantly!) buy these!

If they ever got around to Episode One though, the only one I would buy would be Qui-Gon Jinn.
                    JediJaida

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I think Hasbro has become jaded with the Mego-retro concept like allot of big toy companies. Just like Toybiz, they jumped in with their own ideas on updating the Mego-themed figure and were mostly met with indifference. What makes it especially tough with Hasbro is they gave it a shot with both the DC and Marvel license. It's a very fickle marketplace and the Mego consumer doesn't wholly support a line unless it's done essentially how they want it. Add to that the tough quality control measures, and it can be a thankless endeavor. Nonetheless I would LOVE for that happen. FTC would do an incredible job, if Hasbro wanted to portion out that piece of the licensing.
                      I've said the same thing and been blasted for it. The Mego Market is a nostalgic collector market. It doesn't translate well into the mass market and the big companies have tried and (failed) in the sense that the format wasn't popular enough to take hold again. The one thing FTC does right is they know the market and they give the market generally what they want. Mego-like new Megos. And nostalgic packaging and sets. If you put some of that stuff in wal-mart it wouldn't sell.

The problem with the Star Wars license is there would be a lot of tooling. Lots of different body shapes and sizes. Mego format basically takes advantage of selling the same figure with a different head and clothes. For the most part you couldn't do that with Star Wars. Han, Luke, Obiwan and soldiers could use the same body. The aliens, droids, Vader, Chewbacca, etc would pretty much require almost unique tooling.

It would be expensive, they would make money, but it might be hard to get started unless you just started with Luke, Han, Obiwan and Leia.
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

If something like these did get made,they would be $50 or more each guaranteed...The license is not cheap

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Teemu
                          If something like these did get made,they would be $50 or more each guaranteed...The license is not cheap
                          If Hasbros Star Wars license for a collectors figure is anything like their Marvel license for a collectors figure, it's going to be more like $80.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
                            The DC license isn't too cheap, either, and FTC got that for this format (though I do imagine the SE license would be at a premium right now). I always figured it would be a really hard thing to do in Mego style because of all the aliens and such, but those mock-ups make me think you could get a pretty good variety of characters without a lot of new bodies needed, more than I would have though off hand. Now, something like Chewey would be a real challenge, and he'd HAVE to be made, but Kenner/Hasbro has done a huge amount of 12" figures based off the property over the years, so you could get a sizable set. And no one has ever done 8" Mego-esque Star Wars before; given that Mego famously passed on the property, it would almost be like seeing what could have been.

And looking ahead at the new movies, there's a lot of the 3.75" figures made just so far who could easily translate into Mego scale and format. The Batman '66 figures show what FTC can do with detailed costumes, the kind of work that would need to go into something like this.

I doubt it would happen, as we've seen how picky Hasbro was with Diamond's Mego marvels, but it would be a HUGE coup for FTC if they managed it.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

Why not $80 Star Wars sets like DST Marvel Megos 1 body 3 heads and 3 costumes? That format would work for Luke, Leia, Han, Obi-Wan, Imperial troopers, Anakin/Vader, Padme, Lando, Cantina and Jabba Dungeon Aliens on human bodies, Boba/ Jango Fett, Imperial Officers.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎