Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

They said Superman at the beginning of the show. I think it may be more about NOT taking the spotlight from Supergirl. At least partially.

Yes, Henshaw was the original Cyborg Superman, but I believe Kara's dad Zor-El is the New 52 version.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I enjoyed tonight's episode. Melissa Benoist's performance is the best thing about the show. I liked the references to the Third Doctor era of Doctor Who.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

And for those who paid attention to tonight's episode will know that Hank is really hiding something.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

They must have said "Superman" half a dozen times tonight. As well and Lois Lane, Clark Kent and Perry White. It's getting there.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• jquest
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 19, 2007

Enjoyed tonight's episode!! Hope to see this build up like the flash did! Melissa Benoist is doing a great job as SuperGirl!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode! Answered some questions from the first pilot that I had. As others have said, plenty of direct Superman references. My only gripe is the god-awful white stripe in Astra's hair. That is incredibly fake looking. They need to fix it, or do away with it.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

My girls love it! I find myself constantly annoyed by bad dialogue and plot holes.

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
                  My girls love it! I find myself constantly annoyed by bad dialogue and plot holes.
                  Ditto. I mentioned to my wife that they could dump everyone except Supergirl and Jimmy and the show would be better.
                  Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Yeah, the show is kinda fluff, geared towards teens...especially girls...but Melissa Benoist is just too darn charming...I'll have to keep watching Supergirl, lol...
                    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

Hey its Superman or at least a CGI version of him.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get through tonight's episode. If it doesn't get better, I'm done with it. I think the writing is garbage.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

Well I watched and again Henshaw showed his red eyes. And again we have a secret base with a team to help out Supergirl and I am not talking about the D.E.O.. So we have Team Arrow, Flash, Constantine and now Supergirl all with secret bases. I guess this makes some since while in the comics they have to figure out all this stuff on there own I wondered how they get by.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Ohhhhkay. Supergirl, Week 3. At least it wasn't an alien she ran into again this week.

Reactron seemed like a poor man's Metallo, minus the kryptonite heart. I realize they have to make Kara at least somewhat "vulnerable" in order to build suspense or drama in the show, but this clown, as he was written/portrayed, seemed a little laughable in the "super-villain" category and hardly seemed like the type to give the Maiden of Steel too much trouble. This dude gave Superman a run? Must've been on one of his off days. I got a little tired of watching Supergirl constantly get handed her own arse by this character. The writers of the show must not realize that Supergirl, much like her cousin, is a foe who can, and should, engage in long-range combat. Neither would really need to come within 20 feet of their antagonist unless they choose to do so. In the case of tonight's episode, Supergirl like could have stopped Reactron literally in his tracks just by concentrating her heat vision on the tarmac surrounding him, letting him sink into it, then resolidifying it with a burst of super-breath (even though she hasn't quite gotten that one down yet).

As weak as the growling villain of the week was, other characters were contributors to an episode that felt a little slapped together. Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant grates on my nerves more and more on a weekly basis. She just doesn't come across as a powerful media mogul; more like a "Devil Wears Prada" Meryl Streep knockoff.

Jimm---oh, sorry, James Olsen is likable enough, but the moon eyes between he and Kara seems a little, again, rushed and forced. He knows she's Kryptonian, so he should, logically, realize that the chances of the two of them having any type of long-term relationship would be next to nothing. I also can't see him being so careless as to out Superman's secret identity in front of a guy (Winn) he barely knows.

Winn is evidently (and inexplicably) Supergirl's answer to both Cisco on The Flash and Felicity on Arrow, both of whom are much better written characters and actually have backgrounds to back up their areas of expertise. We've never gotten an explanation as to where Winn acquired his knowledge of computers, his tech savvy or even his "mad sewing skills." Things like that shouldn't bug me, but they do because they makes the characters less believable and likable and therefore, you're less vested and less interested in them. Tonight would have given Supergirl a PERFECT excuse to name drop simply by having Winn tell Kara and James that he got help on his Supergirl HQ from either A.) a friend in Central City or B.) a friend in Star City.

Hank Henshaw. I'm glad to see they've turned his intensity meter down a notch or two so he's not acting like a lunatic with a mad on regarding any extraterrestrial or meta who shows up. His red eyes are, so far, the only over-reaching secret the show has. Is he the show's "big bad?" Dunno. Is he already a cyborg under the exterior? Or, the thought crossed my mind, could the brains behind this show actually be planning something really cool and he will turn out to be not Hank Henshaw, but instead Jon Jon'zz, aka The Martian Manhunter. Could be a logical step, especially since he seems to know as much as he does about extraterrestrials.

Finally Maxwell Lord. I think he's been TOTALLY miscast and misimagined. The actor playing him is way too young to be Maxwell Lord and he portrays none of that almost reptilian charm that Lord is able to pull off in the books. Think he definitely should've been cast older and a lot wiser to the ways of the world. Hell, having him know Malcolm Merlyn and Damien Darhk could've been way cool.

I think Supergirl can make it, but they just need to do a slight overhaul on some of the characters and really watch the time, delivery and content of some of the dialogue; some of it still makes me really cringe.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Some speed bumps in this one. If James can't keep a secret ID better than that, then I understand why Clark didn't tell him for 76 years.

Also, while I liked the messaging chat with Clark and Kara, they really need to be more discreet with what they are typing. Everyone sucks at secrets in this series.

The office "base" was a bit much, and fairly hard to believe. I mean, doesn't Catco have security cameras? I think that's a case where the formula of the other shows just doesn't work.

Cat Grant needs some dimension added to her character FAST. I cringe whenever we get back to her. I thought she was going to be a semi-regular in the series. Dealing with her every episode is a chore, since the character is either poorly written, or Flockhart can't figure out how to make you "love to hate her"...you just hate her. Maybe they are setting her up for a fall that humanizes her? We can only hope.

I too thought of J'onn and Henshaw. That would be one heck of a reveal, and since poor J'onn has been kicked to the curb by DC in favor of Cyborg in the films and comics, maybe he's up for grabs on TV.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• phil
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 11, 2007

It's definetly a show that is learning as it goes. Melissa Benoist's charm is enough to keep me watching for now. She seems to get better in each episode. It's the other characters and situations as others have noted that are the problem. I thought Olsen came off as a real jerk in last night's episode. Cat seems to be acting the way she thinks a women in her situation should act. She may normally be a pain in the a** but she's turned it up several notches because she thinks she should.
                                It would be interesting to see an episode with Supergirl responding to more routine threats. The super villain of the week approach is going to get old real fast.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎