X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
    I hate to admit it, because I REALLY want to like this show, but you are spot-on with most of your comments. I watched the finale last night and every time I felt myself groan or think "seriously?", I would try to think "Ok. How would the comics handle this? Is this something I might see in the comics? Would I think it was cheesey if I read this scene in the comics?". More often than not I snapped back and thought that yes, it was still kinda cheesey. Or just flat out lame.

I'm kinda bummed now that I read your post and am admitting it to myself. Is this what an intervention feels like? LOL! Damn! I REALLY want/wanted to like this show. Oh well. If it is gone, so be it. I'll get over it. It'll be one more hour of my life I get back.

IF it does come back, they better do some serious re-working of the show from top to bottom. Ma Danvers needs to go. I'm thinking maybe Alex needs to go as well. Lucy Lane needs to go. James needs to go. Win needs to be less like Cisco. Cisco is Cisco. And he's good at it. Win needs to be someone else. MM needs to just stay in his MM form, not disguised as Hank. Less name-drops from Cat. Better costumes for the baddies. Better make-up effects for the baddies. Sorry, but Indigo looked RIDICULOUS! And I REALLY hope that it isn't some "Super" animal of ANY kind in that pod. That would just kill it for me. Some things do not translate from the comics no matter how hard you try and a "Super" kitty or "Super" monkey is just too much.
    Trust me, I wanted to not only like it, but to love it soooooo badly. For one thing, Melissa Benoist is spot on, both as Supergirl and Kara, fantastic casting...that's about the only thing they nailed in this whole mess.

I also agreed with most of your own post, as a matter of fact, Cat could actually be a great character, if only they tone her down a couple of notches. But I was livid when she supposedly rewards Kara with a friggin windowless cave, reminded me of that poor office worker in Office Space, who kept being moved from bad office spot to worse office spot by Bill Lumbergh, lol. How can you like a character like that? Kara has saved her ungrateful life several times, yet Cat keeps her giving her the shaft...what an unlikable character. Having said that, Cat did finally pronounce Kara correctly, so that was her way of saying thanks. Also, perhaps she does know Kara is Supergirl...so giving her that dungeon of an office...gives Kara that extra privacy to do her "thing" as Supergirl. That would make some kinda sense.

You are spot on Winn, he should be less like Cisco. Cisco is a brilliant established scientist. Winn is just an average computer techie working in a publishing company. Winn should be smart, just not that smart.

Yes, James needs to go. He's supposedly an award winning photographer. Yet how many times have we seen him out on the field in action? Actually using his camera on assignment? Once or twice perhaps in the entire season? 99% of the time, he's just prancing through the CatCo offices, doing runway modeling, and making Kara drool, please, lol.

Definitely no more need for Ma Danvers and her bad acting, no more Lucy Lane looking more like a Victoria's Secrets catalog model than an military officer. And even no more of Alex (or at least reduce her role considerably). I think basically she's almost taking over now, sometimes it feels like the Alex Danvers show, not Supergirl.

Yes, more Martian Manhunter, less Hank.

Eliminate the DEO...let Supergirl fly solo, like Superman.

And speaking of Superman, give him his proper respect, actually show him once in a blue moon, heck, I'll go as far as, gulp...even...oh brother, but, I wouldn't be totally opposed to Tom Welling (there, I said it, lol)...have him make guest appearances from time to time...definitely better than comically keeping him unseen...because it sure is NOT working like that...it's really aggravating and beyond silly.
    Last edited by Hector; Apr 19, '16, 2:40 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I've mentioned it before and so have others but I think the show would have much better without Superman. Kara should be the only Kryptonian hero on Earth.

I thought the season finale was lousy and the cliffhanger doesn't make me care about what happens next.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Amen ^^^^^^
        sigpic

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

Can anyone explain why Supergirl is not on the same Earth as Flash and Arrow?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by clemso
            Because CBS/CW/WB/DC didn't want them to be...? Pretty stupid move IMHO. I'm guessing they didn't want to have Kryptonians (or Martians) in the DC/CW verse since their presence would pretty much almost force a Bat presence, as well, and we all know how well that's going on the big screen front...
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by clemso
              Who knows how they landed on that decision but I think it was an epic fail. So Sups and Supergirl will only ever meet up with the Arrow and Flash if they travel to another earth? Well that's exciting. NOT. I read somewhere that the producers/creators of the shows said it wouldn't work to have them on the same earth due in part to the fact that they had never mentioned Superman on either Arrow or the Flash. To bring them up now people would wonder why they are now just mentioning them. Whatever. My thought was "So?" I have a second cousin on my mom's side I haven't mentioned in years. Doesn't mean she isn't still out there. This was one of their lamer ideas IMHO and if you follow this reasoning, then what Earth is WW and GL on?

Ok. Rant over.

Comment

• bleit1701
                Career Member
                • Jan 1, 2009

Watching Supergirl makes me happy. Corny and all. It reminds me of the silver age when comics didn't take themselves so seriously. I hope CW picks it up if CBS cancels it. More Crossovers. Yay! Flash/Arrow/DC Legends/Supergirl characters all in one big story. That would be cool.
                Better late than never.....

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by bleit1701
                  Watching Supergirl makes me happy. Corny and all. It reminds me of the silver age when comics didn't take themselves so seriously. I hope CW picks it up if CBS cancels it. More Crossovers. Yay! Flash/Arrow/DC Legends/Supergirl characters all in one big story. That would be cool.
                  I'm with you on that. If CBS does drop it I really hope CW steps up to the plate, retools the show and puts it on their schedule. I think more crossovers would be great! While I do like some of the aspects that make it a simpler, more family oriented show, I think they need to look at changing some stuff if they want it to have staying power.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                    Made in the USA
                    • May 2, 2003

I enjoyed Supergirl...I think there were more Good Episodes then Bad...Some Episodes just felt like 'Throw Aways'.

I'm so tired of the Darkness & Negativity that surrounds our typical TV programming...I hope they can find the right balance of Family-Friendly & Strong Female Role Model without falling victim to Camp & Cliche'.
                    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by bleit1701
                      Yeah, I didn't watch it religiously but I loved it's vibe.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Just for the record, and although this show is "roll up the eyes" viewing for me...I find Melissa Benoist extremely likable, if it wasn't for her...I would've bailed out a loooooooong time ago...but just because of her, and her alone...I watched the entire series. Having said that, the Supergirl show is still too cringe worthy for my personal taste. I prefer the Flash, and believe me, that one has had plenty of stupid moments too...but I like the supporting cast in Flash way more...especially the inept Star Labs crew, ok, that was quite passive-aggressive of me, lol. But Wells is a fascinating character to watch, aside from Grant Gustin, actor Tom Cavanagh is just as essential...those two make the show...and of course, Cisco, for the court jester comedy routine, lol. Danielle Panabaker as Dr Caitlin Snow is also a solid cast member. Supergirl has no such cast, they are all annoying to no end...although David Harewood as Hank/Martian Manhunter has eased up a bit, I was beginning to like him, For him at first was quite unbearable. Calista Flockhart/Cat Grant shows potential, just make her more human, she could potentially be a great character. Winn is decent. The rest? Meh, even hottie Alex was getting on my friggin nerves. Don't get me started on "James" Olsen or the blatant disrespect for the Man of Steel again...I'm warning you, lol...
                        Last edited by Hector; Apr 23, '16, 6:21 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

I have finished watching yet on demand, but overall I've enjoyed it. It's different and that that's not bad thing. If everything has the same tone,it all becomes retread after awhile IMO. The fact that I'm not a hardcore Superman fan might make it easier to digest for me.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

CBS and WB are in talks about what to do with the show.

Both sides have a potential out. Moonves could push 'Supergirl' to The CW, which as it happens is a joint venture between CBS and Warners (Moonves and his team are responsible for programming the network). Such a switch would make perfect sense. The youth-skewing CW already has “The Flash” and other superhero franchises (there was a crossover between 'Supergirl' and 'The Flash' this season), and its audience is much more aligned with 'Supergirl] than is CBS’ much-grayer viewership.
                            Since the show cost $3 million an episode I can see CBS passing on a second season. I would like it to get moved over to the CW but with a status change. Instead of Supergirl, retitle the show Powergirl, Agent of D.E.O. Powergirl could be the sole survivor of Krypton. I would keep here original history in which her rocket took longer to get to Earth and when she gets her she is in her early 20's. I would have here brought to the D.E.O. and getting trained as a special agent.

I really like the idea about Supergirl working for the D.E.O. and with Martian Manhunter. I did not like to carbon copy of working at a news-company and having two supporting cast groups. She was barely there to keep her job, always leaving for most of the day to go to work at the D.E.O. and fight crime. You could keep the cast at the D.E.O. include Cameron Chase, Nemesis, Sarge Steel, just name a few.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Its moving to CW
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• WannabeMego
                                Made in the USA
                                • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                Its moving to CW
                                Yup...

The news comes as producer Warner Bros. Television also is moving the DC Comics drama to Vancouver in a bid to reduce costs.
                                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎