X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

SUPERGIRL: Season One

I'm finding my mind blown that no one has started this thread yet, so here I go, a fool walking in to where angels fear to tread.

After watching the preview scenes we saw for SUPERGIRL back in, what? was it July? I had a very positive vibe from the show and felt like DC would have yet another TV victory to crow about, another proverbial feather in their cap whilst MARVEL's AGENTS OF SHIELD seems to continually sputter, lurching forward with good ideas only to be yanked backwards twice as hard when something doesn't make sense or just doesn't play out correctly.

I've long been a supporter of super-heroines. Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Starfire, Raven, Storm, Marvel Girl, Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel and, of course, my all-time fave, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. Heck, a friend of mine and I self-published a very, very, very, VERY small local comic back in the mid-eighties (before the age of the Internet and less expensive printing) whose title character WAS a super-heroine and she was the protector of our very own little hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. So females with super powers get a big thumbs up from me.

Which brings me to tonight's premiere/pilot episode of Supergirl...

As I said earlier, the previews had me very hopeful, which is why finding the show itself to be somewhat humdrum and mediocre (sometimes even bordering on wince-worthy) is so---disappointing. It seems that CBS showed the best parts of the show in the preview. I'm not sure exactly what it is about the show that didn't set well with me, maybe it's just that it felt somewhat---rushed? For being a show that is masterminded by the folks behind both ARROW and THE FLASH, this show felt oddly vacuous and heavy-handed and the joy found in THE FLASH was only glimpsed briefly in Supergirl. Melissa Benoist did a fine job of playing both Kara and Supergirl, but her portrayal felt somewhat undermined by the performances of those around her (most strikingly Owain Yeoman as the poorly named "Vardox"; his performances as Rigsby on THE MENTALIST proves he has acting chops, but the material he was given in this pilot was nothing short of canned ham). And the actor playing Hank Henshaw was so over-the-top that he fundamentally became a parody of the type of character he was playing. Even Chyler Leigh's performance as Kara's (step, half, Terran?) sister was uneven and felt rushed.

I felt like the shows visual effects, for being on one of the big three networks, were a little subpar, as well. Granted, super-powers are difficult to portray on the small screen with smaller budgets, but THE FLASH's visual effects, not to make a bad pun, run rings around the effects in Supergirl. It's like CBS entered into this half-hearted, hoping that the good will from THE FLASH and ARROW on their sister network would translate into instant success for Supergirl. Sadly, I don't think this is the case, but more on that later. Please feel free to chime in with your opinions and/or observations. I have a feeling Supergirl is going to be one of those polarizing shows that you're either going to love or hate with little gray area in between...
    Last edited by emeraldknight47; Oct 27, '15, 10:53 AM.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • SentientApe
    Career Member
    • May 1, 2014

I was tempted to begin this thread a few hours ago, myself.

Yes, the pilot seemed forced. They tried to cram all the exposition and set-up into the first hour, so nothing felt organic. Every Superhero Movie cliche was included in that one episode, making it feel as if the script had been written by a fifteen-year-old.

I tired rapidly over the continuous use of alternate pronouns for Kryptonian-who-must-not-be-named.

However, the show -- and its lead actress -- had a certain charm. I'm not sure if I liked it or barely tolerated it... I certainly did not love it. However... the heat vision SFX were possibly the best ever -- maybe that's where all the money was spent, instead of on writers' salaries.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I loved it. It was the pilot folks. They are always shaky. Plus, we saw all the good parts already! My only gripe is they did try to cram too much into an hour. Should have let it breathe and give it an extra half hour.

Benoist is charming and very easy on the eyes, and can play strong and vulnerable at the same time. They have an interesting set-up and some new wrinkles in the Superman mythos that aren't maddening (you watching this, DC Comics?). I'm stoked for next week.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

I liked it for the most part but have a few gripes...

• Jimmy Olsen has way too much swagger for Jimmy Olsen. A fact that will become more apparent when we meet his ex-fiancée Lucy Lane played by the uber-hot Jenna Dewan-Tatum. Seriously, he let that go?

• Vartox was wasted as a Persuader/Lumberjack clone for a character that had more potential than that.

• With the list of upcoming villains including Red Tornado, Hellgrammite and a newly created evil-twin of Kara's mother it becomes apparent that The Superman Family's Rogues Gallery is kinda weak in the memorability and/or iconic villain department. Of course they probably don't want to necessarily tread the same ground as Smallville with Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid etc. But I'll lose interest if every week it's an escaped from the Phantom Zone villain, much like how every villain in Season 1 of The Flash was linked to the explosion of the particle accelerator.

• A little over the top with all of the "your cousin wanted you to..." nonsense. I might have missed it while carving pumpkins but WHERE is he exactly?
        Last edited by The Toyroom; Oct 27, '15, 6:05 AM.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Grimjohn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 28, 2011

My Monday nights are dominated by Gotham and Scorpion and was expecting to have to catch Supergirl through OnDemand but, CBS smartly sandwiched Supergirl in between Big Bang and an elongated Scorpion episode. That being said when I flipped from Fox to CBS I then decided that I would base my desire to watch the complete Supergirl premiere based on the strength of its back half. Sadly, I do not desire to see it in its entirety as I was not that impressed with what I saw. It felt, as many have pointed out already, forced and poorly written.

I find it pretty bold of CBS to put this up against Gotham and I presume they are counting on DVR/TiVo and/or OnDemand viewings to support its ratings.
          My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
            Career Member
            • Jul 30, 2012

I thought the pilot was way better than that steaming pile of goo that was the Supergirl movie from 1984. Hoping CBS allows the show to find an identity. Melissa Benoist seems like a pretty cool woman, IMO.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'd much rather watch Supergirl than Gotham, and I'm a Batman guy. No offense to anyone who likes it, but Gotham is way to obsessed with it's own hipness for it's own good. I'm more down with sincerity. I'm like Linus in that regard.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

For the fans, I hope the series does well, but personally I've never thought much about her holding her own in a television show, (especially with the treatment they're giving her here). She's just SO derivative of Superman, I would just prefer Superman. And please understand, it has nothing to do with her being a young lady. I would feel the same way if they were doing a series about Captain Marvel Jr. Now one new series that DOES have me interested is Jessica Jones. That starts in a few weeks on Netflix. Luke Cage will be introduced in that series before he starts his own next year, so that will make for an interesting wrinkle since she becomes Jessica Jones Cage in the comics. I'll be tuned in. Looks descent from the previews I've seen. But I digress. I hope fans of Supergirl enjoy this new series.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

I was hoping for another Flash, but it didn't happen for me. Part of the problem is Supergirl just isn't that interesting to me...I mean, she's basically a watered down Superman in a skirt. There's a huge feeling of been there done that with her, and everything she did in last night's episode, right down to saving that plane, was a repeat of something that's already been done before (twice) and better.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised. I almost gave it a pass. It wasn't perfect and probley would have benefited from being a bit longer. All the not referring to Superman by name got old really fast. Meliisa Benoist is extremely charming as both Kara, the harried assistant and the Maid of Might.

I know why they didn't take this approach but would it have been so bad if Kara was the only Kryptonian on Earth? The series has no connection to the current Superman movies so why couldn't Supergirl stand on her own? The series gives the impression that Superman is always out there and can swoop in to to bail Kara out if things get too bad. I think that undermines the character.
                    Last edited by phil; Oct 27, '15, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

I liked it a lot. My nine year old daughter loved it. She was Wow!! Supergirl fights!...lol Yes it felt rushed but, it was a pilot and I'm sure it will find it's way in time. Clearly this show will be geared to girls and young women. We watch the show by default because who doesn't want to see a hottie flying in a short skirt. Jimmy Olsen worked for me, sorry i just don't want to see another dorky guy playing the part and you know in this modern age they want to pull in all demographics of folks thus a hunky brother as Jimmy Olsen....and yes I snickered at (Ally McBeal) Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant who in this incarnation is the founder of media conglomerate. Cat grant was a fav character of my from the Jerry Ordway run of Adventures of Superman from the 80's.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                        Career Member
                        • May 14, 2007

I greatly enjoyed last night's episode. I like Melisa Benoist in Glee so seeing her as Kara and Supergirl was a little odd at first for I was waiting for her to start singing. I must admit that the fanboy in me was jumping for joy seeing Dean Cain and Helen Slater as her adopted parents. I'm not too crazy about her adopted sister. I do think that the pilot should have been a two hour tv movie event. My only big complaint was her space ship being the cause of the prison ship escaping the Phantom Zone but I guess they have to have a lot of super villains for her to fight right from the start. I also lost count of how many people know who she is. I still have to get used to a bald black Jimmy Olsen.
                        Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

I have to agree that this is a show geared more towards girls and young women, though my 8 year old son and my 11 year old daughter both loved it. I liked it just fine. Some good comments here about it feeling a bit rushed and not naming Superman and such, but overall, it's a series with...legs. Pun intended. Gotham isn't meant for the younger set. This is. It's definitely lighter in tone than Flash or Arrow, but there's room for that. So I say give it a chance, especially if you have kids.

I liked the cameos from Dean Cain and Helen Slater. And could Calista Flockhart's face look any tighter? Hey Calista, Kenny Rogers called. He wants his face back.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I'm glad to read kids like it and I did like that the show took a lighter approach than most adaptations of comic books. I thought Melissa Benoist did a great job conveying the wonder and excitement at finally becoming the person she has the potential to be. I'm suspecting Benoist performance will turn out to be the series greatest strength.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Kids really liked it but I was busy taping a podcast. Flash has become a regular Tuesday night thing for the Family, so I wouldn't mind another show like that.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎