X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Spider-Man...Do you read it?

Just wondering if anyone still reads Spidey on a regular basis? I dropped the book a few years back when Marvel dropped the ball with that whole spider-totem thing (Spidey dies and loses an eye or some crap like that). The character doesn't seem "fun" anymore. Granted, ol' Peter Parker has had his share of ups and downs over the years but you could always count on Spider-Man for a fun wisecracking adventure. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore with the Iron Spider, ID reveal, etc. With great power shouldn't come this much of a headache!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Spider-Man of the regular Marvel U is almost unrecognizable to me. The things they've done seem sensational at best. Gwen Stacy having Noman Osborn's love child; Peter having his eye eaten, dying, making a coccon, coming back to life and eating a guy; revealing his secret identity just because Iron Man said to. These are all things that are grossly out of character for the Spider-Man cast. I don't care who's writing it. They make the Clone Saga look like Masterpiece Theatre. No sale.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

True, Chris! The much maligned Clone Saga seems like Shakespeare (and more in character with Spidey and his supporting cast) than the current stuff they're passing off as "Spider-Man". I forgot about the Gwen/Norman affair.
      I'd say thanks for reminding me but it leaves even more of a bad taste in my mouth. JMS is leaving Spidey and heading off to ruin Thor I suppose. Hopefully a new writer will breath some new life into Marvel's flagship character.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Haven't read it since Romita Jr.'s original run with the Hobgoblin, I quit it somewhere around the beginning of the black costume era.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

I read it on and off I just picked up the Sensational Spiderman Annual caught my eye cause it had a retro spidey look.....The way Spidey is now makes me long for Mcfarlanes spidey at least that was Fun......

I've yet to ever Read an Ultimate spidey story

Comment

• Bionic Joe
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 10, 2006

spidy useto be one of my must reads but that was a long long time ago. the current run is not the spidy i knew and loved, the only hope is for someone to have the nads to say hey the last 10 years worth of stories were one hugh nightmare of a dream and restart from there

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
              Stays Crunchy in Milk
              • Aug 2, 2004

I still buy amazing, and usually thumb through. It's been BAD. JMS's first arch was good, but it tanked quick. I wish he's get the boot.

Ultimate Spidey -good
              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• brineb
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 26, 2006

I stopped buying Spiderman in the 80s and sold off pretty much every book I had ... just got tired of him. I don't mind when he's in the Avengers or a guest, but he doesn't have the same thrill for me anymore. Same with the X-Men.
                I also play with other dolls:
                http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• DocDrako
                  Formerly Doc Drako
                  • Nov 11, 2004

Was Reading Spidey...

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  Haven't read it since Romita Jr.'s original run with the Hobgoblin, I quit it somewhere around the beginning of the black costume era.
                  I started reading Spidey at the beginning of the Black costume era. I was a fan of all the Spidey titles back then until the clone stuff started. Then I dropped the Spidey comics.

I've read some graphic novels recently, but some of the stuff was too weird to spark my interest again. Like that whole spider totem thing. I also recently read the Civil War graphic novel, but I thought Spidey was just not Spidey anymore. Why do they have to mess with a formula that works? I want to see Spidey and other heroes fight supervillains, not terrorism. I see enough of that stuff on TV. Comics used to be an escape for me but they're too "real" for my tastes for the most part now. I wish I could find a good "Superhero Vs Supervillain" type comic these days. I just don't have the time to look.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I read Spidey...and have ALWAYS read Spidey! I've never cancelled it in all the Years I've been buying Comic's(35 Years...28 Years, on a regular basis). I learned to read...reading Spiderman Comic's.
                    sigpic

Comment

• spock5
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 14, 2006

Spiderman

~~~~~I read the Amazing Spiderman.I have found myself reading the old silverage issues. Anyone have A # 11 Doc Oct issue? I started getting into the new justice league....
                      Ken

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Aunt may lives

I thought the clones series had problems but was not bad enough to ignore it or write it off.

Amazing 400 WAS one of my favorite comics of all time.

Pete tells may - may reveals she has known and was just worried about pete but knew he was doing good,

The clone - who really is pete - can't say goodbye to his mother figure.

Pete (or Ben) quit being Spidey.

Well drawn and colored.

Then they decided that the clone thing didn't happen - May is alive and well
                        then they thought "HEY let's do something stupider - let;s bring his parents back - NO that didn't work -it was a plan by the green goblin (wasn't he already dead too)

I ad enough - I haven't read since they thought it was a good idea to do the ultimate universe.

i understand the reason for the ultimates - a new generation of readers

- i am the older generation.

nuff said

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          The Spider-Man of the regular Marvel U is almost unrecognizable to me. The things they've done seem sensational at best. Gwen Stacy having Noman Osborn's love child; Peter having his eye eaten, dying, making a coccon, coming back to life and eating a guy; revealing his secret identity just because Iron Man said to. These are all things that are grossly out of character for the Spider-Man cast. I don't care who's writing it. They make the Clone Saga look like Masterpiece Theatre. No sale.

Chris
                          After reading this Man am I glad I quit shortly after the clones.

Comment

• Megospidey
                            Museum Webslinger
                            • Jul 26, 2006

Don't read any of the new stuff and won't.

Started re-reading the original series from issue #1 on (on cd) - I'm at issue #57. LOVE IT! Love the artwork and stories....Takes me back to childhood. My older cousin had a subscription and kept all his copies - I got to read them as a kid. Had no idea I was holding paper gold in my hands

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎