X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I missed this thread initially, but I think you did a fine job. Perfect way to celebrate the 50th. (Quite a year with Batman'66 and Star Trek, too.) You should consider doing a Selby one, too.

I think I could become quite a Dark Shadows junkie if I could afford the DVD set; I still recall racing home to see reruns after school, but I guess the films had a stronger impression on me when I was a little older.
    Thank you PNGwynne!

If I ever decide to replace my individual sets with the space-saving box set, I'll let you have first dibs.

I've thought about a complimentary Quentin piece, but I've never cared for the portrait that Charles Delaware Tate painted of Quentin in 1897. If I do decide to paint him, I think it would be of him sitting in his chair with his zombie makeup:

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 18, 2015

That's awesome!
      The hands that grip.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
        That's awesome!
        Thank you!

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
          Thank you Figuremod73.

I've gotten very spoiled with the DVDs, and find it hard to imagine watching them again one or two per day. I like being able to binge, hop, skip, etc.; although last week I started watching it from the very beginning (episode 1) and intend to watch all the way through by year-end. That said, I like the idea of it being on TV whenever possible not only for those who don't have an alternative but for the exposure it lends to future fans.

I know Netflix mail service offered the entire series for quite some time, not sure if that's still the case or not? I know they dropped it from their streaming service, however HULU has some of the episodes available w/commercials though (original MPI box sets 1-9; starting with episode 210 which is the premier episode of Barnabas). I've seen the box sets going for around 300.00 - 400.00 for the entire series.

I bought several of the individual sets back in the day when they were first releasing them; then I took a long break and eventually purchased the rest of the sets for a really great price point on Amazon as they were placing the bulkier packaging on clearance in order to replace them with the slimmer packaging (which was quickly followed by the box set).
          I've been going to bed to the early episodes of the Barnabas/Maggie story for the past several weeks (from my coffin box set). Makes for a restful night because I'll get a full episode in before I start to zone out and pick up from there the next night. Granted I did wake up early this morning because of the wolf howls where she is trying to fight off the urge to go back to him, but it still makes for a great passage of time while I'm at rest. Just some of the best television ever.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
            I've been going to bed to the early episodes of the Barnabas/Maggie story for the past several weeks (from my coffin box set). Makes for a restful night because I'll get a full episode in before I start to zone out and pick up from there the next night. Granted I did wake up early this morning because of the wolf howls where she is trying to fight off the urge to go back to him, but it still makes for a great passage of time while I'm at rest. Just some of the best television ever.
            I really like that story line. I didn't get to see that plot on its original run since I didn't really start watching the show on a regular basis until around early 1969, which was right before the 1897 story line kicked in. Up to that point, I would only catch an episode here and there; basically whenever my Aunt was watching me for the day.

The first time I got to see that particular story line was when KHJ Channel 9 in LA broadcast the show during its first syndication run back in September of 1975. They started with episode 210 (where Willie breaks the chains) and abruptly ended it around episode 340 or 341 (which was a very frustrating cliffhanger). It wouldn't be until 1986 when KDOC Channel 56 in LA ran the series in its second syndication (from the same starting point of episode 210) that I would finally get to see what happened next. They ran nearly the entire series (except the first 209 episodes and the final year) while broadcasting two episodes per day. Several years later I would get to see the first 209 episodes as well as the final year via the Sci-Fi channel.

Favorite runs are:

Episodes 193 - 460 (Barnabas intro - the origin of his curse)

Episodes 627 -885 (1897 story line and its lead-in)

Episodes 1071 - 1197 (1840 story line and its lead-in)

Least Favorites:

Episodes 461 - 626 (1968/1969 plots...)

Episodes 886 - 980 (The story line that killed off bored the fan base)

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎