X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

The Walking Dead: Season Six

As pretty much anyone who has watched any television in the last month knows, TWD started it's sixth season this evening and I gotta say that, IMHO, they did not disappoint.

::BEWARE! SPOILERS LURK PAST THIS POINT!::

The whole scene of the ginormous herd of walkers in the quarry was one of the coolest shots in recent history on the show. Greg Nicotero, who directed tonight's opener, should be applauded for making a small screen show seem so massive, if only for a few moments. My only question regarding the plan Rick developed for taking care of the zombie horde was why relocate them when you actually had them all in a largely contained area and you could have essentially firebombed them? Scrounge up enough accelerants, dump 'em into the quarry, then light whole shebang up with the flare guns...

I enjoyed the black-and-white flashbacks versus the color "real time" happenings.

I like the fact that Morgan is going to be a semi-regular on the show as his character is just totally cool.

Really looking forward to how this season progresses.

And who DO you suppose was setting off that horn at the end? Hmmmmmmm....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Lot of people are questioning why you wouldn't burn them. I'm guessing the logic is "mass fire = attraction" since they established with the wolves that light and sound are the draw.

I still would. That's where the term "firewall" came from: burning moats.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I think the SFX were great but the story was kinda weak.

As stated, if all these zombies are already in one place and caged, why try moving them ?

Just reinforce the exits and kill them at your own leisure.

They don't need to be all killed at once anyway.

Rick's worried that the townspeople need to learn to defend themselves --- well there you go, instant shooting range and target practice.

Also, didn't like the Godfather 2 way of storytelling.

The flashbacks got very annoying and didn't seem to really be all that necessary to the story.

Just tell the story in real time.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

BTW, every time it showed Darryl riding his motorcycle slowly with the zombies following him I had to laugh.

It reminded me of Forrest Gump running across the country

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

The forward/rewind stories really became visible last season. I think they did it as early as with Rick and Shane, but that was apparently different times. Now they're doing it to make the events pace quicker in one season. If they didn't, the herd escape doesn't happen for at least another episode.

They really want to get to Neegan.

Comment

• SentientApe
            Career Member
            • May 1, 2014

Superb episode.

The juxtaposition of flashback/present was a fresh and much-needed approach to story-telling. When done correctly (and not the first time this device was employed in the series), a great deal of ground can be covered, with even more dramatic impact than would otherwise be possible. As long as they don't overdo it...

I am just glad we thought of rewatching the previous episode (Season 5 finale) to refresh our memories of the immediately preceding events.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

"I am just glad we thought of rewatching the previous episode (Season 5 finale) to refresh our memories of the immediately preceding events."

Me too, It was good to get a recap. I loved the episode and the way it was told. Happy it is back!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

So this bothered me the whole episode: why didn't the zombies crawl under the giant gaping spaces under the trailers between the wheels?

And did they ever establish that the horn on the car that they were leading the zombies out with didn't work? I don't get why they would waste ammo firing into the air to get them to follow when that stupid car probably had a horn. I understand that they were saving the horn for the end in their storytelling but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.

I found myself bored for most of the episode. I liked the black and white footage however. Kind of makes me wonder how I would feel if the entire series was black and white.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• SentientApe
                  Career Member
                  • May 1, 2014

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  Kind of makes me wonder how I would feel if the entire series was black and white.
                  It would be not unlike ... the original source material.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

It was a fantastic episode...looked way more like a theatrical released movie than a TV show.

Superb stuff...
                    sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by SentientApe
                      It would be not unlike ... the original source material.
                      By the original source material, do you mean the comics or do you mean Night of the Living Dead?

There's something about the black and white that makes it seem more dramatic and detached from civilization to me. Do tvs still have a color button that I can turn down? Haha!

Comment

• SentientApe
                        Career Member
                        • May 1, 2014

By the original source material, do you mean the comics or do you mean Night of the Living Dead?

"The Walking Dead" graphic novels.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

There's something about the black and white that makes it seem more dramatic and detached from civilization to me. Do tvs still have a color button that I can turn down? Haha!
                          AMC aired a number of episodes in B/W a few years ago. It's subdued NOTLD, where NOTLD has massive dark/light contrasts. The comic has a gritty look that would require something like Sin City to pull off. If they wanted to, they could run it through post-production a amp the B/W effect to get a wild cross between comic and NOTLD.

I guess they tried a low/high saturation before settling on BW/Color.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                            AMC aired a number of episodes in B/W a few years ago. It's subdued NOTLD, where NOTLD has massive dark/light contrasts. The comic has a gritty look that would require something like Sin City to pull off. If they wanted to, they could run it through post-production a amp the B/W effect to get a wild cross between comic and NOTLD.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what they tried, according to episode director (and zombie makeup artist extraordinaire) Greg Nicotero on last night's Talking Dead. They tried doing low saturation on what eventually became the black and white segments and high saturation on the events in real time, but I believe he said something along the lines of it made the world look like too much of a happy place.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap

I wouldn't be interested in a Sin City style for Walking Dead, but NOTLD-esque B&W might be awesome!! Well, "awesome" meaning the show would seem even more bleak and dreary...and probably more gruesome. Haha!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎